Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 3 August 2012
I already own (and use) Signe's first book "Secrets of Scandinavian Cooking" and so was eager to read her second book. Once again there is the same straightforward approach to recipes as I found in her first book but this second book seems weightier, more assured in content. I say I'm not a natural baker, I feel more confident in the more forgiving savoury cooking and (whispers it) don't really like overblown, over-sweet cakes with copious icing and please don't get me started on super iced cupcakes! But as with all things Scandinavian, the recipes here are well-conceived and balanced. Sweetness is restrained so it never becomes cloying but just enough. On receiving this book I immediately baked Signe's 'Sticky Ginger Spice Cake', a moist cake that improves everyday (that it lasts which may not be long). I already was a fan of her 'Chocolate & Orange Marmalade Loaf Cake' (recipe was on an old blog post of hers) and should say that that cake has had rave comments each time I've made it and is easy to make. Toasted Oat, Date and Hazelnut Cookies are delicious and are perfect mid-afternoon treats. Yesterday I made the Plaited Milk Loaf and although mine may not have been as perfectly formed as the one photographed in the book it didn't look bad for a first attempt, tasted delicious and was simple to make (once I remembered how to plait!).

Once again the photography is gorgeous, the layout clear and easy to use and the instructions very clear and confident. I can honestly say that, for a non-baker (although that's changing), I have seen loads of recipes I'd love to try and will. This book is a keeper. Today I realised that I haven't even tried any recipe in the Savouries section! That's the next baking session. Absolutely recommend it!
on 12 July 2012
Following an editorial on this book in The Times on 05/07/12, I purchased this book from Amazon the same day and made the Carrot Cake the afternoon after! It was delicious, really moist and wasn't cluttered up with dates or raisins. In fact it was extremely edible without the cream cheese frosting. (See the empty plate!)
It's one of those books which you look through and want to try every single recipe even though there isn't a photo of each item. It's well written and has lots of interesting ingredients and comments. It's out on the kitchen worktop ready for baking for three birthdays in the next two days. I'm looking forward to providing something a bit different in the sweet and savoury lines and I'm sure the recipients are too!
on 31 December 2012
I started to make the Saltkringler and had mixed all the dry ingredients then added the oil and honey but found that there was no other liquid specified. There is no way 30ml of honey and 15ml of oil will make a dough out of 500g of flour.
Had to guess at 300ml of water (I assumed).
Poor editing on the first recipe I tried and given that this is a second edition I would have expected better.
on 2 January 2013
I completely agree with other viewers who identify that the book looks enticing, with apparently fairly simple recipies. However, there seems to be some editorial issues. One reviewer has mentioned the Saltkinger recipe being off; there are also problems with the Pretzels; again, a lack of liquid in the recipe; it's mistifying how you can boil 5 pretzels in only 300ml of water, and then after baking for the absolute minimum time they were well overcooked (yes, I do check my oven temperature). Whilst the book looks simple, it doesn't for example, actually demonstrate how to fold pretzels which seems something of an oversight. Fine if you are an experienced baker who can figure out how to modify and produce the required results, but even then it left me feeling frustrated and with a sense of what was the point in having the book if I ended up figuring it out myself. Hopefully, some of the cake recipies will work better.
on 17 March 2013
Great cookery book, I treated myself for Xmas having read an excellent review on it. Have tried at least a dozen recipes all of which have tasted great, yesterday made her vanilla bread which is superb toasted.
on 17 July 2012
This book is truly wonderful! The recipes are mouth watering and they come with interesting information and tips. Possibly not the best for someone with little experience, but easy enough for those who have baked something before.

I recommend it fully! :)
on 4 September 2012
I have close friends who are Swedish and have travelled a lot in Finland, Sweden, Norway with work so have had the opportunity to partake of 'fika' (coffee and cake) in lots of lovely cafes. This books has all my favourites in including Lussekatter (saffron buns) which are traditionally served every 13th December on the feast day of Santa Lucia, which we also celebrate in our Yorkshire home!

Looking forward to using it!
on 26 March 2013
I now have both Signe's books and they are great. Easy to follow with interesting and 'different' recipes. I was lucky enough to go on one of her baking courses at the Leiths Cookery School, which was really helpful in learning to use fresh yeast, etc - I think otherwise I might not have tried making the Kardemommesnurrer (cardamom buns). But actually they were very easy and are absolutely delicious. The recipe makes loads but you can freeze them easily and just take out a few to heat in the oven when needed. Strangely, I seem to need them every day... I've made a number of biscuits etc too - all very good. And the brownies are the best I've come across - gooey but not too sweet, and easy to make. My only word of 'warning' is to take her oven timings with a pinch of salt - I've found my fan oven takes much longer (although it doesn't with other people's recipes).
on 17 January 2013
Baked my first recipe (blueberry upside down cake), very easy to do and tasted delicious. Our guests actually said it was one of the best cakes they'd ever eaten. Not bad for a first attempt. Also the book is absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to try more ..
on 12 March 2013
Being completely up-front and honest from the start, I have to admit to a certain addiction to baking/cooking books. I love 'em. Can't get enough of 'em and would probably have ALL the baking books produced if I thought I could get away with it.

Having ancestral connection to Scandinavia I have a particular love of Nordic cooking and baking so this was always going to be fairly close to the top of my current wish list and, in a moment of weakness, I bought it. I'm not disappointed - the pictures are lovely (and is that half the battle with food books?) and the instructions are clear. The favourites are there as is the use of cardomom and cinnamon and all those other lovely Scandi ingredients.

I don't think I'm in a position to say whether this is better than other books of the same ilk as I really can't give an unbiased critique of baking books - I find something in all of them to be excited about. However, this is, I would suggest, one of the better ones and, if you have space on your shelves, a useful and happy addition.