on 26 December 2012
Reading this, I got the impression that the author is an academic rather than a writer. I found the author's writing style to be impersonal and dry.

At the same time, however, I thought that the author couldn't have been written by an academic. An academic would at least provide some genuine substance in the book. I felt that the content of the book was rather flimsy.

I personally found this one of the least useful books I made the effort to read recently. Having said all that, this is just my opinion and there are clearly some fans who really like the book.

The author has previously written a book on office politics Office Politics: A Survival Guide which you can pick up for only a few pennies on here. I wonder how much of her earlier book got recycled for this one?
on 25 July 2012
A fantastically useful book that covers some of the most pertinent - and tricky - issues - we face at work today, from toxic emails to horrible bosses and what to do if someone is stealing your credit at work. Mary Portas who writes the foreward says she wishes she'd had it to help her manage the wranglings at Harvey Nicks when she worked there. I certainly wish I'd had to hand to help me manage my old boss, I might have lasted longer in the job!
I work in publishing and have really noticed how the political climate has changed since the recession kicked in. These days it doesn't pay to work hard and keep your head down; as Clarke illustrates, if you want to get on you have to know how to influence people and present your point of view. To me that's quite daunting, but reading this book proved it needn't be. Now I know what to look out for, the different types of political `animal' and how to deal with them, whether it's the loose cannon Barbarian or self-serving Machiavellian. I could certainly recognise some of my colleagues amongst Clarke's political types. I'd recommend this book to anyone who is interested in getting on at work and learning how to be more politically adept - essential in today's climate. Forewarned is forearmed!
on 23 May 2012
I really liked this book - a friend recommended it to me after reading a couple of Jane Clarke's other books. I think she really has a handle on what happens in organisations especially as a woman! And for men as well I'm sure but I don't have any experience of that! I will certainly be passing it onto other people I know.
on 22 May 2012
This book is really helpful. I found it insightful and packed with really useful techniques and tips for understanding and managing relationships at work (some examples reminded me of people I know in my personal life as well so I think the usefulness isn't limited to professional relationships!)
What I think it advocates is how to work with integrity but not at the sacrifice of your potential for progression. We all need to understand what is happening at work, on all the levels that people operate not just the obvious. I have worked in the field of human resources for the past 10 years and have come into contact with some fairly underhand people, as Mary Portas points out in her introduction, it would have been useful to have this guidance before embarking on this career. One of the most useful things I found was how it helped me unpick the past as well as the present, I've left 2 companies because I didn't like the atmosphere and this book made me think a lot about the people I was working with and how I could have resolved the difficulties I was experiencing.
Generally this book is clearly written, easily understood but by no means patronising, the examples work well to help you understand the more theoretical information as well as being very interesting and proving that these difficulties can appear at all levels.
on 22 May 2012
I thought this book was thought provoking and very practical - I'm in middle management in an insurance company and I recognised so much of the characters and methods discussed in the book, hate to say it but some of my own behaviour too! When things are difficult you can easily resort to undermining your work colleagues in unethical ways but this book really offers up ways of dealing with things which allow you to keep you feeling positive about yourself and your colleagues. I particularly liked the practical exercises, they really worked for me. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone wanting to survive the politics and get on.
on 7 January 2013
I enjoyed reading this book generally but running my HR consultancy business CircumHR, I found this useful as a reference point for my training courses. Knowing the different ways in which people act, think and work is essential for getting on in business and getting your promotion, rather than sacked! Would recommend.
on 19 July 2013
I found this book to be very insightful. An essential read for those who want to live with, avoid, or simply understand office politics.
on 4 January 2013
I found the book really useful as someone who knows nothing about office politics, I benefit a lot reading this book