• Saved

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 May 2000
I could not put this book down. Tony Bullimore has the ability to describe his sailing experiences in vivid detail, and he has many gripping tales to tell. Having survived some wicked ordeals at sea, he always bounces back with new energy in finding another boat, and sailing again to new horizons and new drama. We can only admire his courage and will to survive. His perserverence against the smallest of odds is an inspiration to us all. Tony cleverly links in his life history without letting the story miss a beat. This book is a 'must read' for all adventure junkies and seafarers alike.
on 20 January 2000
This true account must rank as one of the all time great adventure stories. It has been written by the author, who divides the story between his current situation trapped underwater;the outside world of his rescuers racing against time to reach him;and finally his memories and recollections of his life to date. It is a book that cannot be put down, even after only the first page. I defy anyone to read this book and not come away with a feeling of awe and respect for the writer and his rescuers. Brilliant.
on 24 January 2003
You simply cannot imagine what these guys went through waiting to be rescued. Whilst reading this book I was constantly asking myself would I have had enough strength, physically and mentally to fight for my survival? Would someone really come and rescue me?
I read this book straight after reading Ellen Macarthur (which I strongly recommend). It took me almost 5 hours, but I could not put it down until the end. I remember being glued to my TV from the time the capsized boat was spotted, hoping and praying that Tony Bullimore was still alive. Praying, along with the rest of the world, that a miracle would happen. I cried with happiness when Tony popped out from under that hull. Little did he know that the world was watching.....
You get the feeling whilst reading this book that it was quite hard for Tony to re-live what he went through in order to put it down on paper. But you can understand why.
I hope that the Bullimore's dream of a little house in Jamaica has come true and that they are living happy ever after!
on 15 March 2000
I received this book for Christmas a couple years ago and once I started reading it, I couldn't put it down. It tells of Tony's near death experiences and as a sailor it really gives you something to think about.
on 16 July 2000
I have just finished reading this booking having read Pete Goss's story. It has taken me two days to read this book as I couldn't put it down. It is absolutely fantastic and shows the bravery and sheer guts of one of our yachtsman. As a non-sailor it didn't stop me reading this book. The heroics of the Australian forces in rescuing Tony should not go unmentioned. My admiration to them, to Tony Bullimore and his fellow competitors is without question.
on 24 November 2000
Having being part of HMAS ADELAIDE's crew during the rescue and getting to know Tony personally I have found the book to reflect exactly what happened during the rescue. Full of adventure throughout!!
on 21 December 2012
This was a cracking good read: un-put-downable as others have said. I also found it rather moving at a spiritual level: although Tony Bullimore is not an active adherent of any faith (he is of Jewish ancestry married to a Christian) he professes a belief in the power of prayer. Not surprising. A TV documentary reminded us of old seafaring saying that below 40 degrees south in the southern ocean there is no law and below 50 degrees south there is no God. Bullimore was rescued at 52 degrees south.
on 31 July 2014
Used book, yellow pages but an awesome account from Tony Bullimore of his ordeal in the Southern Ocean. if you want to learn how to survive in Antarctic waters with just an upturned yacht, a pocket of air and no light - for 5 harrowing days - then this book is for you !! Arrived quickly
on 17 August 2010
An incredible story of a remarkable man and his reaction to the catastrophy that overtook him in or on the Southern Ocean. How cool and methodical he was as I could never be, and I feel that this contributed to his survival quite a bit.
on 27 April 2015
Outstanding feat against nature and himself from the legend that is Tony Bullimore.