Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 10 December 2001
The band started out in 1995 sounding a bit like the last band the three male members were in, Cupid Car Club. Their first lp was a blend of James Brown and The Cramps and their evolution to a better produced, more musicianly effort ends here on "Save Yourself." Influences like Love and The Thirteenth Floor elevators are more apparent. These guys are good musicians, make no mistake. "I am Pentagon" is the best track on here in my opinion, but there are many wonderful songs on here. This is the album non Make Up fans will like.
on 24 April 2001
This band are too good for words. They have the innate cool that british bands can only dream of. Not much can be said apart from buy, buy, BUY! the cover of "hey joe" is absolute genius, and quite possibly the greatest end to any album released in the 90s.
on 30 May 2002
I managed to see The Make Up twice, and I can honestly say that they were two of the greatest gigs I've ever seen!! This album captures them at their punkiest and funkiest, and is a must!! Hell, they haven't done anything that isn't essential, but this is a good starting block, then the singles compo, 'I Want Some', then 'Destination Love: Live At Cold Rice' for a good snapshot of their live energy, then everything else!! Now that they've split, it's the nearest you're gonna get!!
Ian Svenonious and bass-player-cum-style-icon Michelle Mae have since formed a new band with ex-Royal Trux fella, Neil Hegarty. The band is called Weird War...
on 14 September 2002
Basically - it's the *Make Up*. You CANNOT go wrong. But - the production is just a little too hazy for me, I would have preferred clearer vocals on 'Call me Mommy' for instance, and all in all I prefer the singles collection, which somebody below has rightly mentioned already (though I'll bet they didn't know that Destination Love:Live! is actually a studio album faked up to sound live, 'cos it is).
This album is great to chill out to, but for the full Make Up onslought the singles do the job better. If I could rate this 3.8/5 I would but I can't...
on 12 August 2014