Firstly the slight disappointment, the 4 movies in the box set I received are not the same as those on the cover, only two of them were correct, however on the strength of what I've seen here I'll be buying the 2 missing ones separately.
I got a few very old VHS tapes of Santo & Blue Demon on the strength of an article in Fangoria as I loved the idea of Mexican wrestlers taking on the whole gamut of famous movie monsters. In this box we have, or should have, Dracula, a Wolf-Man, a Mummy, Doctor Frankenstein and his daughter, all the above movies should be in colour.
My set missed out the Mummy and Dr. Frankenstein movies but I got an enjoyable black & white tale, Attack of the Witches and a later colour movie the Vengeance of the Crying Woman.
These movies are pure escapist hokum but no less enjoyable for that. Santo takes on dozens of unarmed henchmen, drives around in a convertible and NEVER takes his mask off even when he sleeps. The wrestling bouts vary from live filming in the early years complete with chanting crowds to fights staged on a studio set with no crowd visible in later films. There you will marvel as Santo and Blue Demon take on the likes of the White Angel and the Hippie.
Do not buy this if you want state of the art special effects, gimmicks and award winning acting, in that case stick to WWE. Santo (aka Rodolfo Guzmán Huerta) sadly died in 1984 and true to his image he was buried wearing his mask, now thanks to these re-releases the rest of the world can catch up on these great stories.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again