TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 September 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is not the printer to choose if you want the cheapest possible printing. It's not the printer to choose if you need scanning and photocopying (it is just a printer). It's niche is to be a tiny printer with excellent quality monochrome printing that's easy to set up and that doesn't require a jumble of cables.

It really is small. The top is a couple of inches wider than a landscape-oriented piece of A4, and pretty much exactly as deep as that piece of A4. In order to use it, you need to open a paper feed tray at the front; the output tray is optional, but if you unfold it, it also opens forward. If you don't use the output tray, your printouts come out through a slot on the top corner of the printer, which is fine if you're just printing one or two sheets. There are minimal controls: a power button, a WPS button and two LEDs that can indicate a multitude of conditions by glowing or blinking in different colours - you need to refer to the manual to find out what the different combinations mean.

The only cable you need to connect is the power cable, and (for setup only) a USB cable for your PC. If you have WPS on your wirelesss router, you don't even need the USB cable - you press a button on the router, and a button on the printer and they make friends. You will still need to install a printer driver on your PC or MAC from the supplied CD - note that the setup program makes the Samsung the default printer unless you uncheck the tickbox. You don't need to install the other two programs from the CD.

The printer turns itself off when not used for a while, to save electricity.

Print quality is very good, although you can select a toner-saving setting that prints in grey if you want. Printing over wireless I could get about 15 sheets per minute at best, not quite as good as the 20 sheets per minute the manual claims. The supplied toner is a starter size - only good for about 700 pages - after which you need to buy a very expensive replacement (Samsung Toner MLT-D101S), which apparently has enough toner for 1500 pages. Because this also replaces some of the print mechanism, print quality should remain high, but I reckon it will cost around 3.5-4p per sheet, which is no cheaper than an inkjet printer. So if you are thinking about getting this printer, buy it for the tiny size and the high quality output, not to save money. If, like me, you're strapped for space, it's well worth considering.

Notes:

- You don't actually need a wireless router to use this printer: you can create an ad-hoc (which is to say, direct) wireless link between your computer and the printer.

- There is a Samsung utility that lets you print directly from your wireless-enabled mobile phone (available from the Google Play store or from the iTunes store, depending on your flavour of phone). It works fairly well, but there's a long pause - of more than a minute - during which nothing happens, and you begin to wonder if you pressed print after all. You need to have faith and patience.
11 comment|78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2013
Having bought a new laptop running Windows 8, my rather ancient Samsung ML-4500 mono laser was not compatible as there are no printer drivers. As I had no problems whatsoever with that printer in more than 10 years of regular use, I decided to stay loyal to the brand and have not been disappointed with this new Samsung. I had read some slightly negative comments about the setting up of the 2165W but I found it straightforward and very easy to get it and up running wirelessly - just follow the printed instructions and/or electronic guide on the CD. As an added bonus I have been able to print on it from my iPad after installing the Samsung mobile printer app.

I am not suggesting that this should be the printer of choice for anybody with a large throughput, but for everyday, sharp quality printing that is primarily text, I doubt that there is a better value printer on the market. I have seen more robust and solidly built printers but it seems to be of a good build quality to me, especially when one considers its price. Obviously, I cannot comment on the life expectancy of the toner, but I seem to remember similar comments about my old ML-4500 . . . As a former teacher who has printed out thousands of sheets during my career, it is my experience that the toners in all mono lasers, (be they Canon, HP, Brother etc) seem to have a very long life and are really cost effective compared with colour printers of any description. I would be very surprised if any purchaser of this printer could fail to be impressed with it. I for one am more than satisfied.
on 28 December 2012
Bought this to replace my old inkjet which gobbled and chewed paper, this perfect and FAST! I would reccomend this printer 100%
on 14 July 2013
I am actually very pleased with this printer, the resolution/quality is truly excellent. but there are two small issues:

Turning it / your router off will stop it working wirelessly (I suspect I could fix this by assigning a fixed IP address, but I've not figured this out yet).

Second, it struggles with transparencies unless they have a paper backing sheet.

Neither of these are huge issues to me, but I thought I'd share them.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely, for the price it is an amazing printer, and, it looks like you get a pretty full "starter" toner cartridge (I'm still using my first one)
on 30 March 2013
For the price this printer is amazing! It takes up no space and is perfect for the household. The vast majority of stuff we print has no requirement for colour, if it does we uses the inkjet. The samsung mobile app is installed on my Android phone, My ipad and my wife's iphone. I will read my work emails on my ipad when I am getting my breakfast, now if i need to print something it can be done straight away. Printing wirelessly from a mobile device to a laser printer fro £60 (give or take)... seriously... how could you not be happy.
on 27 June 2014
I have had this printer for 18 months so feel I can comment fully. It's a good, neet small printer for a home office or similar. Initial setup with USB is easy and straightforward, and it does what it says on the tin mostly. There are 2 main issues with it.

The ink is expensive - around £60 per cartridge. I have tried non manufacturer inks but they cause problems and some don't work, although I have not damaged my printer trying them. Typical with other small lasers they are programmed by the manufacturer to rip you off further! The ink usage is done by programming not physical ink used. Your ink cartridge has a chip in it which counts the number of pages printed and communicates with the drivers on your PC. Once you have printed 1500 pages it won't work any more until you buy another cartridge. It doesn't matter if you printed 1500 sheets of full, bold black copy or 1500 sheets with one word on each page. I think this is a rip off and environmentally disastrous. Frankly Samsung did you think we were all so stupid we wouldn't figure that out, and really you should do better.

Secondly, as others said, the WiFi is problematic. There are some useful utilities downloadable from the Samsung site, for both print and WiFi management, but they don't really help much. It drops is wireless connective most days, and you have to reboot the printer before you can print. In contrast I have an Epson wifi printer too and this only needs "help" occasionally.

I think this is a real shame, as it's a great little product otherwise. I guess it all depends on if you can live with these issues. I have for 18 months, but it's becoming increasingly tiresome.
on 4 January 2013
small, light, quiet

if there had been a version in black and a dust tray for the paper it would have merited 5 stars
on 9 May 2013
It starts quickly, prints fast with almost no delay, dead easy to use, good quality printouts, using the cable is easier than the wireless setup but the wireless does work if you persevere.
on 20 November 2012
Samsung ML-2165W Wireless Mono Laser Printer works fine. Manually set-up the wifi but no problems. Fast printing for home use.
on 27 May 2013
I originally bought this to replace my old ML1510 which gave brilliant service and was not rigged by Samsung to eat up their ridiculously expensive cartridges. you could refill them several times.
The first one lasted 6 months and this was an Amazon warranty replacement. Full marks to Amazon, no fuss just replaced it. I can't imagine anyone making this thing lighter or cheaper feeling than it is. It would blow away in a strong wind. really disappointing after the old 1510. Will look for something a bit better with sensibly priced toner when it packs up next time.