on 16 May 2012
There is so much choice available in the printer field these days and models seem to come and go with great regularity. Given this you'd be forgiven for just thinking that anything in your price range would probably fit the bill. Perhaps it would, who knows? The trouble is you can't have a test run of several on your short list.
I wanted a compact no-nonsense mono printer for letters, printing from the pc and airline tickets etc. I had experience of some laser printers at work and in the main found them to be incredibly reliable and boy did they have to work hard over long periods of time. For much less intensive use this model is a bit pricey, but it is a smart, minimalist design, very compact, easy to operate and the build quality bodes well also. The cartridges are similarly quite expensive, but for me they will not be a frequent purchase. The omission of a USB cable lead is more an irritation than stinginess. Surely Samsung could include one at relatively low cost as part of the package? As for quality of printing...well, I'm back to the point in my first paragraph. How do you readily compare? For my part I am very satisfied and as a non ink-jet mono it fits the bill. However, if price is key then maybe you should look elsewhere.
33 comments78 of 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 January 2013
I bought this to replace a Samsung ML2240 mono laser printer which had finally given up the ghost. I just wanted something basic like my previous printer as I print only in black and white. I tend not to look at the reviews on Amazon as many reviewers will give a 5-star rating simply for prompt delivery which does not reflect their true opinion of the product. Reviews on other sites were, for the most part, favourable. The Amazon price of £49.95 is on a par with other sites. The first thing that struck me was the size, it's much more compact than I thought which suits my needs just fine. Yes there's no paper cover but not everyone will leave the printer set up all the time. It's very easy to set up and, so far, printing is of a good quality. The enclosed toner cartridge is said to give a capacity of 700 pages which will, for most, last a long time. It's not designed for hard labour. Samsung branded replacement toners of 1,500 page capacity are available for between £40-60 depending where you go and non-Samsung branded 'compatible' toners for upwards of £20. One thing to note - the default power save setting is to put the printer to sleep after 1 minute of activity so you have to press the on/off button on the printer to activate it again. You can of course change this under 'Device Settings' in Easy Print Manager up to 120 minutes. To switch the printer off, again press the on/off button but for at least a couple of seconds. When printing you may notice smoke coming from the printer where the paper comes out. This is fairly normal for laser printers as they fuse the ink to the paper using heat. The paper itself will initially be hot to the touch. It's nothing to worry about, the printer is not suddenly going to catch fire. It's not a heavy-duty printer so perhaps best suited to occasional home/home office use.
0Comment56 of 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 September 2012
Having gone thru 3 Ink Jet Printers in 6 years I was well and truly fed up with my HP Printer ink heads blocking up and refusing to print. The problem with Ink Jets is that if you only use them infrequently they dry up and you end up binning them. So I decided to buy a printer that prints ANY time with no blockages, Fast, Crisp, Small footprint. I decided on this model as I value Samsung as a reliable brand and Amazon as a supplier, it arrived fast and was very easy to install. Insert the driver CD and at the prompt turn on your printer ( p.s Make sure you buy a USB Printer cable I paid £0.96p from Amazon) Its a great price at £39.99 which is less than the cost of the repacement toner cartride... no brainer! plus the toner is good for 1500 pages of text so that's me sorted for the next 3 years... after which I may even buy another printer if they are still cheaper than the replacement cartridges, however 1500 pages is great value. It also prints as fast as it can whip a sheet thru the machine thats around 4 sec I made it. You won't go wrong with this.
p.s The printer does come with an installed brand new toner cartridge, just remove the transport seals and start printing. Also when sharing the printer via say your main home computer to others around the house it goes into energy saving mode (Blue LED) and promtly wakes up if someone requests to print. I am so pleased with this little printer it gets better.
One more thing if like me you don't read the instructions fully before use ... Make sure you remove all the transport seals & OPEN the lid REMOVE the toner cartride and carefully remove the ORANGE plastic transport strip running the length of the toner cartridge ! then slot the catridge back in. Its all very easy but don't just pull the Orange transport that is visible below the cartridge, remove the toner cartride first and carefully remove it. :-)
This is all necessary so that in transport the printer does not get damaged.
33 comments78 of 80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2013
Loved the product it is simple and quite easy to use (specially regarding the double sided printing). I have printed so far close to 3K pages maybe more I have changed the toner once. The toner is 10 quid less then the actual printer but it is still cheaper then printing in the library of my university. I have occasionally encountered paper jam. Try not to print more than 100 pages at a time it overheats the toner ( I am assuming this is not a good thing)
on 26 February 2013
I was after a black and white laser printer purely to print customer invoices with and I chose this based on it's small size measurements and the price. Fast delivery from Amazon and it's perfect for what I wanted it for. It prints faster than all the Epson inkjet printers I've ever had and there's less fuss with waiting for printer heads to become ready to lay down ink. Turn on the printer and it's ready to deliver pages within 10 seconds. If you're not using it the printer goes into power save mode but wakes up as soon as you send a job to it. So, if you've got a small office or are a business looking for a small printer to print invoices and other such documents look no further than this printer, highly recommended!
on 26 October 2012
A great small laser printer which does good printing and at a fair speed. It is a monochrome printer which for me is ideal for churning out masses of text paperwork, I have another printer that covers the colour option should I need it. The price of replacement toner cartridges is pretty good when you compare them to ink carts for inkjet printers. Although inkjets may say a cartridge will do 400 copies, they do not take into account the lost ink every time it does a head clean, so you are actually lucky to get 300 copies. For just over twice the price of an ink cartridge you get 1500 copies with this printer, I think that speaks volumes. Would definitely recommend it.
on 17 October 2012
I bought this as an alternative to replacing inkjet cartridges. Granted twice the price and only black and white, but the speed and quality are well worth it. Setup was easy (I already had the USB cable, so quite happy not to pay for another) and the printer is small enough to be easily transported around.

Altogether, very happy with this printer. Print quality is excellent, and fast. The only caveat is that it comes with a meagre 8mb internal memory. That's fine for text and basic graphics, but it cannot cope with very large bitmaps.
on 17 January 2013
Great little printer - easy to install and print. Looked on Which? first, but did not want the Wifi enabled version. Just remember to get a printer cable from a pound shop as it is not supplied by Samsung. You'll never go back to inkjet for printing black-and-white ever again!
on 8 May 2013
So easy to set up and use, the replacement cartridges are the same price as the printer itself but so long as you don't print hundreds of sheets daily it will last a long time, the printer is very compact and neat and overall I am very pleased with my purchase
on 25 May 2013
This is a great little printer at the price. But is a classic example of how we are all "ripped off" with replacement toner cartridges. It's crazy when a cartridge costs more than a new printer with the same cartridge that's just a quarter filled with toner!