I have one of the first 40Gb models of PS3 so I needed to update the bugger! SO looked around and found this lovely HD, read the reviews and thought it was perfect so I bought it.
Plugged it in to find the PS3 telling me " Cannot start - hard disk not found." This had me slightly miffed, so I did some research and found a set of steps which happen to work as intended! I've amalgamated all of the different websites instructions and typed them below. Hopefully, this should fix any problems
1. Back up any data, such as trophies and save games on a USB or external HD.
2. Turn PS3 off
3. Remove panel in left hand side using flat head screwdriver.
4. Remove blue screw with correctly fitting Phillips screwdriver, otherwise it ends up flattening the screw.
5. Remove casing and , the 4 screws either side and then the HD.
6. Insert this new hard drive in casing, replace the 4 screws (not to tight) and then slide the casing back in the console.
7. Replace the blue screw then panel.
8. Go the the PS3 website --> PS3 Support --> System software --> Update features, and download most recent .PUP file to be copied to a USB stick.
9. On the USB stick, create a folder and rename it 'PS3' and another folder in that named 'UPDATE' Both folder names have to be capitalized.
10. Copy the .PUP file into the UPDATE folder.
11. Insert the USB onto the PS3. Turn the console on whilst holding down the button until one beep then two beeps have been heard.
12. On the presented menu, select 'update' at the bottom and follow the on screen instructions.
13. Now the new HD should work fine.