I purchased this as my fat 80GB PS3 was full, and this monster hard drive was one of the first to pop up on Amazon. At a very good price might I add! Of course I read numerous reviews before making my descision and many of which were bought for the same reason as myself, with 5 star feedback. However, I didnt seem to fit mine with such ease as other buyers. Im not the techiest of people but get by alright, although the "pop old HDD out and pop new one in! easy!" didnt work for me. I got a few error messages, searched google, got more error messages, searched google some more etc... and eventually found a solution thanks to some guy on youtube who got it right. Here it is.
1. Back up your data in system settings to an external hard drive.
2. Turn PS3 off and remove plastic panel in left hand side, remove screw, casing, more screws, then hard drive.
3. Insert new hard drive in casing, screw screws back in, slot back in, final screw back in, plastic back on. (plenty of videos on youtube for steps 1-3)
4. Go to PS3 website and download latest PS3 software update (3.72 in my case), and save download to an external storage device ie. usb pen drive.
5. This was the important bit! open storage device with file in, create new folder titled PS3 and inside that folder another titled UPDATE (both in capitals) , then inside that put the downloaded file. (.PUP file)
6. Put pen drive in PS3 then turn on system by holding down the power button for about 5 seconds. One beep then two beeps. This takes you to a menu where you can selct the bottom option 'update'. either that or it will ask you to hold down select and start buttons together. Your PS3 should now let you format your new HDD and away you go with some easy onscreen instructions.
7. Once all is done and your finally at the PS3 menu again insert your external hardrive with your saved game data etc. go to system settings, back up, restore crack open a beer and wait!
This worked for me. Hope it helps!
As far as the product itself goes everthing works a treat now, im only giving it 4 stars because the HDD is described as PS3 ready which is not quite the case when you've had to muck about with it for 2 nights before it works!