Same Trailer Different Park
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£4.99

I tried this debut album by Kacey Musgraves because it has created a considerable stir in the USA and is attracting a lot of attention here, too. I'm delighted that I did because it is excellent and well worth all the fuss made of it.

Musgraves has created a country album of very good songs with lovely, singable tunes, nice harmonies and a good variety of moods. She has a fine voice, she can put a song across very well and her band are excellent - solid, sensitive and restrained much of the time which lends more power to the songs than over-the-top performance and production.

What really makes this album stand out, though, is Musgraves' lyrics. There are a number of reasonably conventional love songs and lamentations of a broken heart, all well done and enjoyable, but she also thoroughly subverts most of the attitudes inherent in much country music. She sings of the hypocrisy and small-minded bitchiness of small town life. I truly admire the guts and independence of mind it must have taken for a young Texas woman to write country songs with lines like:
"It don't matter if you don't believe,
Come Sunday morning you'd better be there in the front row
Like you're supposed to..."
(in the excellent Merry-Go-Round), or for her to write a song about wanting uncommitted sex in It Is What It Is (which her grandmother apparently insists on calling The Slut Song) which, if written and sung by a man would raise few eyebrows but quietly and brilliantly undermines the hypocrisy in attitudes to women and sex.

I especially like that Musgraves somehow manages to do all this with a wit and a warmth of heart which means that the album is anything but a prickly polemic and is a pleasure to listen to. I laughed out loud when I first heard the opening of the fabulous Follow Your Arrow:
"If you save yourself for marriage you're a bore;
You don't save yourself for marriage you're a who-o-o-rrible person..."
which is beautifully delivered and works perfectly in a Texan accent. It's a great song and there are others on the album which are just as good.

A few people really stand out from the slew of quite good country/Americana recordings at the moment. Kacey Musgraves is one of them. I think this is a terrific album and recommend it very warmly indeed.

(P.S. If you like this you may also be interested in How To Sleep In A Stormy Boat, another intelligent and musically fine album by Amy Speace How to Sleep in a Stormy Boat.)
on 15 November 2013
Now not all the songs on this album are as good as the next one but for a big label debut 'Same Trailer, Different Park' shows the many sides of the talented Ms Musgraves. Her groove, which I first noticed as the co-writer to 'Undermine' - stand out song on the first TV Series of ABC's/More4 @Nashville - lets her move away from the consequence songs of country to modern day concerns of low paid but aspirational women ('Blowin' Smoke') to the problems of finding companionship & love in 'It Is What It Is'.

Using this to discover modern female country singers who are not the victims of yesteryear like Brandy Clark, Miranda Lambert.....loving it and I think others will too.
on 15 April 2013
I found out about Kacey Musgraves by chance on 'Little Big Town's' facebook page a few weeks & thought I'd checkout some of her songs on Spotify & loved her voice instantly. I've heard talk that she is the next big thing in country music & after listening to the album I can why.

I really love all the songs on the album they have a catchy country beat & lyrics. There is one or two songs which may grow on me a little.

5 of my Favorite Tracks on the album:
Merry Go 'Round
It Is What It Is
Silver Lining
My House
on 19 August 2014
I bought this CD after seeing a couple of Kacey's videos on TV and I'm really glad that I did. Thankfully she has steered well clear of the usual banal female country singer "women are great and men are bums" path-you know the sort of thing-"he's a double-timing moron/he doesn't know what he's missing/women are unbreakable" ad nauseam!. Kacey has a sweet clear voice and her songs have a sort of conversational quality to them, as though she's just gossiping with her best mate,but don't let that fool you for an instant. On first hearing her songs seem just, well, interesting, but play them through a couple of times and you begin to see the social comment in every one of them-pretty subversive really. Just a couple of examples:- Blowin Smoke is about somebody in a dead-end job day-dreaming about what they would rather be doing-and let's face it, we've all been there!.Merry go Round is about the boredom and drabness of every-day life-again with a bit of day-dreaming in it. Highly recommended-5 stars-let's hope she brings out another CD soon!.
on 14 May 2013
Very impressed with this high quality debut. Superb lyrics, arrangement and overall high quality production. There are some very original aspects and personality that show through and are often the signpost to an artist with a long career ahead of them but by the same token there are some homely familiarities also. I find that there are sentiments this album similar to the work of 'Little Big Town', but with a more Americana/folk feel to the arrangements similar to Carrie Rodriguez and Kacey's voice is, whilst very much her own, reminds me of a young (sorry, younger!) Cheryl Crow, especially on the track 'Blowin' Smoke'. All of which are not bad things by any means. In fact, that's like mixing some of my favourite ingredients together and making a pretty nice little cake. I would love to hear her perform a disjointed, love/hate, duet with someone like Hayes Carll.

If you like any of the artists mentioned above then I wouldn't hesitate to give it a spin.
on 14 April 2014
Here we have a very talented musician! She seems a very nice down to earth girl and has a very bright future! This is a great debut album that contains lovely upbeat tunes about small town life, love, loss and independance wrapped up in a beautiful voice. The album starts off with the positively catchy song 'Silver lining' and takes it from there!

I do enjoy all of the tracks here but I must say that I prefer her at her most feisty or angry. The song 'Step off' sounds melodic and nice but lyrically its full of bite and warning. The rollicking 'Stupid' perfectly sums up the stupidity of falling for the wrong partner and the wrongs of casual love. But it is 'Merry go round' that really stands out for this listener! Aimed squarely at small town life it is in turns melodic, poignant, sarcastic and humorous. But through its melodic sound there is a dark undercurrent to this song. When examined deeply it is quite a sad narrative about dysfunctional lives and I sense a hint of despair through the narrators voice. Its wistful too and I can't help but think Katie knows she is lucky to have escaped the merry go round of small town life but at the same time acknowledges the strife these people go through without too much sentiment and throws in a hint of sarcasm for good measure.

The tracks 'Follow your arrow' and album closer 'It is what it is' round off the album perfectly and act as a rallying cry for independant minded individuals everywhere. It is an inspirational message and one that appeals to me. We should all follow our own arrow in life and let it take us wherever it may while in the process making our own decisions and choosing to live the life we want to. Dont just follow the herd, follow your own inner arrow!

It is a wonderful album and I would highly recommend this to anyone who appreciates good music. Her nice down to earth demeanour, melodic voice, and sound musicianship all contributing to an excellent debut album. But it is her fiery side that I admire the most, with one suspecting there is a whole lot of depth to this artist, with a lot of potential to be realised over time.
on 7 August 2013
What I like about Kacey Musgraves is that she remains very much a country artist while staying a real breath of fresh air and contemporary and modern.

This album by Kacey Musgraves, is absolutely fantastic. I don't think I've felt this connected to an artist since Taylor Swift, another favourite of mine, however, I'm not going to compare them as they have very different sounds.

This album is really good, the songs: 'Silver Lining', 'My House' and 'Step Off' are really cute sounding and are really unique sounding while still being traditionally country. Every song on this album is brilliantly written and every song on this album is co-written by Kacey herself. There are no cheesey lyrics. At first I thought 'I Miss You' was quite cheesey, but listening to it a few more times made me realise that it isn't.

My least favourite song on this album is 'Dandelion' maybe because it doesn't really amount to much. I don't hate it though.
My favourite songs on the album are: 'Silver Lining', 'My House', 'Step Off', 'Keep It Too Yourself', 'Stupid', 'Follow Your Arrow' and 'It Is What It Is'. And I know that is most of the album but it's just brilliant.

I definitely recommend if you're a fan of: Contemporary Country (T Swift, M Lambert ect), 60s/70s folk and rock (Neil Young, Fleetwood Mac ect) and maybe even more folksy 'indie' bands.
Excellent, something most people will love. Oh and if you like Ed Sheeran you may like this too.
on 13 May 2013
Most of what needs to be said about this album has been said by others, here and elsewhere. It's clever, it's fresh, it has creative word play and rhyme that sets it apart from other songsters mainstreaming an alternative sound. Musically, it has a pace and instrumental integrity that hold perfectly the lyrics between a surface shine and accessible depths. The title of the album, and the flow of deft metaphor in the album's title track, encapsulate a sentiment that can often be overworked or morosely obscured by other artists: life traps us with its familiarities, we are all susceptible to mediocrity. So it goes around. There is a similar yearning for escape in the recent album by Lauren Pritchad, 'Wasted in Jackson', an artist who does remind me of Musgraves in some ways. I like that album's songs, too. But what rings out in Musgrave's lyrics is an intelligent wit, an irony that goes further than just a look-at-me-wanting-more superiority. We are trapped by our anger because it is also our inspiration. "Don't wreck my reputation, let me wreck my own" goes a line from the track 'Keep It To Yourself'. Buy this CD and see what you think. I think it's a reputation builder.
on 16 April 2013
First heard her on Bob Harris's country music show and thought i'd give her a try. Wasn't disapointed, exelent lyrics great voice, well worth the money.
on 11 October 2013
Purchased this as kacey is up for a cma award and I like country music this was no let down really good and worth a listen