Format: Audio CDChange

on 19 June 2014
I was really impressed with Neverworld's End, but like many others, thought they might spoil a brilliant sound with the change of singer. The replacement vocalist, Dianne van Giersbergen, is brilliant, she matches the music style and has a great range.
Sacrificium is another wonderful album and it still sounds like it was done by Nightwish at their best. They can really write good music and the production is very well done. Personally, I think the title track is a bit long at 10 minutes and it doesn't quite do it for me. but there are no weak songs, it's a great CD. The songs Nightfall and The Undiscovered Land really stand out, and the more you listen to it, the more you hear stuff that you really like. It's got depth, it's a bit less commercial than the previous CD, well worth having.
on 3 August 2014
I'm not the biggest fan of symphonic metal, I like a few tracks here and there, but never enough to buy a whole album. I just find they often become tedious listens, with the music often over shadowing the vocal elements or all the songs sounding to similar. . .

This has now stopped with Xandria and Sacrificium! This is a brilliant album and had me hooked all the way through from the first listen that I went straight back and listened to it all again. Every song has a unique feel and nothing sounds 'same-y'. Stand out tracks for me include epic opener 'Sacrificium', Betrayer, Until the End which has some great folk music influences, and the best track on the album Nightfall.
on 5 June 2014
I have been a fan of anything rock and metal for around 20 years . But Power/Symphonic Metal is the genre that really appeals to my eardrums. I have to say that early Xandria always left me wanting more. Until the last album, Neverworlds End, really made me take notice in a big way. This album was just amazing. I was worried about Sacrificium due to a vocalist change and wasn't quite sure if it would hit the standard of its predecessor.
I shouldn't have doubted it for a second! This album is simply amazing. Moody,melodic and heavy! The new vocalist, Dianne van Giersbergen, is simply stunning. Her voice is soft, haunting and powerful. She pulls out all the stops and you always know she has more left in the tank, but doesn't overdo it. The songs on this album are just brilliant. Tracks like Temple of Hate and Little Red Relish are extremely good and just what symphonic metal is all about. Strong pumping riffs with great orchestration giving it more punch. All blended with a catchy chorus. Stardust,Come with me and Nightfall are all extremely great songs that just make you know this album is something really special. The opening and title track is a 10 minute anthem that has it all. Its builds from a slow haunting melody to a pumping riffs and has it all. The stand out track for me is The Undiscovered Land. Wow! This track is just epic! Its really takes you on a journey like a classic fantasy novel. Just listen to the lyrics and you'l know exactly what I mean.
All in All one of the best albums I've heard in years.....Period. I haven't been this impressed with an album since Serenity's Death and Legacy. If you like your metal symphonic and full of melodic masterpieces then this should be at the top of your shopping list. I LOVED IT..
on 7 June 2014
This album get 4.5 out of 5
So far the best Symphonic Metal album of the year for me. The New Vocalist Dianne von Giersbergen is excellent. The production is crisp and sound is spot on.
Only one track disappoints me and that is Little Red Relish and may be the last track Sweet Atonement is placed in the wrong place, as this album deserved to go out on a higher tempo finale. But most of the Tracks are 5star Symphonic Metal.
For all fans of Nightwish, Epica, Delain Within Temptation, or Ancient Bards, listen you might enjoy this album.
on 23 October 2014
Gutted when i heard Manuella had left. (Wonder why they can't hang on to vocalists very long?). However they have managed to bring in another superb vocalist in Dianne. With this album Xandria have continued the step up in class that started with Neverworlds End. After stopping myself comparing Dianne to Manuella (Though, and i must stress the word preference here, my preference is for Manuella's slightly lower vocal range) and listening to this album in it's own right i found another excellent offering from the band. Long may it continue. (Hope they can hang onto Dianne longer than other vocalists they've had).
on 5 May 2014
I was worried when the previous singer left the band bcoz (obviously) the last album was so up there with fantastic albums.... but my God this album shows the band is definitely in leagues with others such as epica, revamp etc... 10 out of 10!!!
on 27 May 2014
Loved the last album they did. When they had to change singers was quite worried the new girl would not be as good. I needn't have worried. She is fantastic. Their music has really come of age. I put it just a shade behind the last album purely as the tunes may not be as rememberable. Saw then at Camden Underworld, great show.
on 9 April 2015
I've never paid any attention to this band before even though I do listen to quite a few female fronted metal bands. I bought this album a few weeks ago having listened to some of their music on you tube. The music sounds very much like old Nightwish but maybe better in some ways. I think Xandria are a somewhat overlooked band, a little strange really, considering they're from Germany which is a country quite re knowned for metal bands. Still, if you are fan of symphonic metal you should probably listen to these, they have some great songs!
on 4 March 2015
I quite liked their previous albums but this really hits the spot for female fronted growl-free symphonic metal. Nightwish is my favourite but this has pushed it close and has a great variety in the same way a Nightwish album would. Not being a big Xandria fan (till now!), I'm a bit late to the party having only just discovered the album but I'm glad I got here eventually!
on 17 September 2015
This album is OK but no more, as far as the non-instrumental version is concerned and I would give it 4 stars. As far as the instrumental CD, this is not really what I would call purely instrumental as most songs still contain a chorus which is not really my definition of instrumental so I give this 2 stars. So my overall rating is 3 stars.