Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 May 2008 14:37:16 BDT
A. MAHMOOD says:
Is this book suitable for 11-12 year olds?

In reply to an earlier post on 29 Jun 2008 13:41:40 BDT
Smiley Blue says:
I haven't read the book yet, but judging by the content of the film, which included electroshock therapy, suicide, discussion of sexual and marital problems and heavy references to casual sex, I think probably not. However, the author famously wanted nothing to do with the finished film and claims never to have seen it all the way through, so perhaps there are significant differences?
Either way, I would make sure your children do watch it or read it, perhaps when they are a little older, as there are valuable lessons to be learnt from both.

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Aug 2008 20:44:05 BDT
Cassie Chaos says:
No i wouldn't say it was, partly due to content but mainly because a brilliant book can be ruined by trying to read it at too young an age to fully appreciate the quality of writing.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Jan 2009 15:51:42 GMT
gilly8 says:
to A. Mahmood, YIKES! I just answered your other post, and now I see this one. Is it the child wanting to read these, and if so WHY???? This is not typical reading matter even for really bright 11-12-13 yr olds. I'd be very concerned. What is he/ she trying to find out? Is this a subtle cry for help, ie, "I feel this way too?"

The book is excellent for anyone from maybe mature 17 and up. Great study of a state-run psychiatric hospital back in the ?50's-60's. The author had experienced some of this, if I recall. They did use horribly destructive electro-shock back then, that tended to wipe out or change the personality and even destroy memories. NOW, when electro-shock is used, it is at MUCH lower settings, has few or no side effects and for some people with severe chronic long-lasting depression resistant to everything else, is IS the answer.

But getting back to why this kid wants to read this book....I'm not so much concerned that there is sex and/or violence in it as to the issue of what is going on that this kid is drawn to these books.

There are a lot more really good books out there for a kid of that age who is a precocious reader to try, not just ones dealing with psychotics, suicide, etc.

Talk to a reasonable librarian about what adult books would be suitable for this child that have other themes. I recall at that age reading books like Clavell's "Sho-Gun" about feudal Japan, and Michener's lengthy but fascinating books about "Hawaii" and others. Also, books like "Plagues and Peoples" ---that wasn't out when I was a child but the similar "Rats, Lice and History" was, and it completely fascinated me. Explains the role of disease in human history. (I did end up an RN!) Also, I used to skim through big chunks of the Will Durant series on the history of civilization, a series which is still available.

A lot of kids do like sci-fi and fantasy. Ursula LeGuin's books are excellent, start off with the "Earth Sea Trilogy" -- beautifully written books. Or CJ Cherryh's "The Cuckoo's Egg", or the series about King Arthur and Merlin etc by Marion Zimmer Bradley---NOT a child's story. There is also TH White's "The Once and Future King" also about King Arthur. A truly great book. The first part, his childhood, was turned by Disney into the movie "the Sword and the Stone" but the book, even the childhood part is NOT a kid's book. Its serious, dark in places, but definitely holds one's interest. "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card is another sci-fi book my kid's liked. Not to forget the Harry Potter series. Yes, the first book or even the first two are written more for youngsters, but as the boy ages in the series the whole tone of the series ages with him, until by the end the reader is dealing with adult issues and choices. Just some suggestions.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  12 May 2008
Latest post:  1 Jan 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Penguin Modern Classics)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Penguin Modern Classics) by Ken Kesey (Paperback - 5 May 2005)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (162)