on 22 February 2012
I bought one of these power adapters for my Megasonic Defender cat repeller two years ago. It was a conventional transformer type power adapter. Both products have been working fine ever since they were installed to keep my lawn clear.

This week, I ordered another Defender and power adapter after a cat had started fouling another area. Although the packaging and part number for the power adapter are the same (STV612), after studying the new documentation, it looks like STV have introduced a completely different mains adapter perhaps some time from October 2011 onwards. It doesn't resemble the one on the box packaging, and the pictures posted in this Amazon UK listing.

Specifically, it is a light weight switched mode power adapter, the sort that is frequently supplied with mobile phones and other gadgets nowadays. And we know how reliable they are....

It comes with a snap on adaptor to allow it to be used with UK 3 pin or European 2 pin mains power socket.

I may be being pessimistic, but experience has shown switched mode power supply adaptors often frequently have a shorter life span than conventional transformer type designs. I wouldn't be surprised if I have to replace it after only 2-3 years. There is no mention of warranty conditions with the product, so I can only presume it is only for 1 year.

Only time will tell, and I hope I will be proven wrong. I will report back in 2014 !

Fwiw, alternative universal DC power mains adaptor will also work. Provided it is rated at 9 volts DC at 500mA (The Defender draws a mere fraction of this current) and has a 5.5mm (out diameter) 2.1mm (inner diameter) barrel plug fitted, with centre hole being Negative polarity.

The kit comes with 5 metre extension lead. If you need a longer lead, try looking on a certain well known auction site and search for:

2.1 extension lead

5m and 10m extension leads are available.

Hope the information is useful.

Update: June 2015.

Well, it's been more than 3 years since I installed this power adapter. I can confirm it is still working.

I should also add my other older 'transformer type' power adapter is still working too after 5 years.
review image
on 16 July 2012
Cats are lovely animals, but we prefer birds in our garden. We used to look out of our bedroom window and watch our feathered friends having their breakfast, only to be frightened off by neighbour's cats. Then we bought the Cat repeller, which worked well, but ran out of battery power. So now we have the adaptor (complete with a long power lead). The cats stay away, we get more birds than before, and if we don't want the grandchildren chasing over the roses & the rock garden we leave it on.
Only criticism is that the range of the repeller seems to be limited---10 yards away & even the grandchildren don't complain.
on 6 June 2012
I purchased this main adaptor after buying the defenders mega-sonic cat repeller which unfortunately eats batteries but it does work as no more cats!! and the adaptor is the icing on the cake.
on 25 August 2010
Although meant to power the appropriate units that are used exclusively OUTDOORS, this adapter warns it is for INDOOR USE ONLY!
Be carefull if rain has got to the sonic equipment as the adapter end plug will short and definately destroy the unit.
Warranty will be void for using the adapter outside--even though it is supplied (and recommended by STV) to power equipment that is only used outside.
Catch 22 if anything goes wrong!
on 25 May 2010
Firstly for a adapter which is used outdoors it is not a very good idea for it to be indoors only. Including a 5 metre extension helps a bit, a choice of 5 & 10 metres would be better. I like to keep the cats on there toes and move the scarer around a bit. Seems to work better like that.So I think three stars is about right
I bought this to go with my Mega-Sonic Cat Repeller – because I had read that the repeller eats batteries and is more effective when powered by mains electricity. Trying to maintain a traditional garden in an area where people keep cats but don’t seem to know about cat litter, I wanted to give the repeller every possible chance of being effective 24/7.

I’m disappointed with the repeller – or its contribution towards solving my cat problem. Its range isn’t as great as I hoped and cats aren’t giving my garden as wide a berth as I would like. (OK, they will have no sense of boundaries or property, their owners’ or mine, and the machine quite rightly doesn’t actually hurt them in any way.) But I am 100 per cent happy with this adaptor as a transformer and power supply.

I have electricity in my garage, so this gadget is plugged-in there and the lead trails under the garage door, clings to the brickwork around a corner and bridges a short space to the repeller. The location is fairly sheltered and the wire doesn’t trail on the ground, so I am giving it (I hope) favourable conditions, but it is outdoors – exposed to all the elements – and it seems to have no problem with any of that.

So far as this part of the outfit is concerned, the real business end is inside the garage. It came with a continental plug fitting (which just might come in handy one day, you never know) as well as one for the UK, and has the nice touch of the transformer being able to swivel on the plug socket. Thanks to that, the wire can come out at whatever angle is best for where it needs to go, saving possible snagging of the wire.

So what more could I ask? It doesn’t look as if the weather will cause any problems for the wire and (low voltage DC) plug that necessarily trail outside, and it works.
on 7 July 2016
This is an excellent product for deterring cats from invading your garden and using it as a toilet. There is one cat who belongs to the house across the street and this cat seems to think it can use my garden on a daily basis. I was unsure about how well a device like this would work but I figured it was worth a punt and I am glad I did as it worked flawlessly the first time and stopped the cat outright. However batteries will not last long at all so it is well worth buying the power supply that you can get and plug into your mains.

If you appreciated my review then please click on the “helpful” button. If you are pondering clicking on the unhelpful button, please leave a comment or ask me a question before you do as I may be able to answer you or add further information to help you.
on 9 June 2012
The adapter is clearly sold as for use with the matching animal repeller, however then states that it is for internal use only in the instructions.
Firstly, it is a cheek to sell a power cord separately from the main item, pure profiteering, and secondly I would like the item to be suitable for the intended use. Strangely my neighbours cats foul my garden, not my living room!
on 24 December 2013
You got it!
Rather pointless.
To be used in the garden, like most people buying it, I would imagine (the box actually illustrates it as being a universal transformer for all mega-sonic deterrents)...yet when you read the instructions, it specifically states that it is for indoor use only.
I have wrapped mine in a plastic bag to try and protect it a bit from the wet (which, strangely fir the outside in London, it frequently is).

WHAT A JOKE.

They don't tell you this before you buy it either - ***MISREPRESENTATION***
on 6 June 2014
Good price when compared to garden centres etc. I didnt like the idea of having the cat repellent running from batteries as i feared i would be constantly replacing them at great expense. By having it plugged in all the time, you havent got to worry about the batteries dying and you also get 30% more output from the device.