Package Quantity: 1|Style Name: Remote Control|Change
Price:£23.27+ Free shipping

on 9 September 2012
Several reviewers have commented that this is a great product when it works but that it seems to be prone to failures. Perhaps it's only those with bad experiences who bother to post reviews - I have been using a set for three years now without a single failure (including two in a shed at the bottom of the garden which have survived two winters and are still controlling the garden lights at Ferret Mansions successfuly).The transmitters really should be sold separately though, so only four stars. Even though all mine are still working, they are quite small and so easy to lose. I bought a similar set from another manufacturer in Lidls which were cheaper but half of them failed within days. No surprise there perhaps. Note that as they're only rated to 1000 watts they can't be used for electric fires. There are other makes available rated up to 3kw which can be - but you need to take care with them obviously. They're an easy way of burning your house down (added at the request of a friend who is a fireman...) I use these for lights, audio equipment, TVs etc and have had no problems. Used with an Owl Monitor (or similar) they will quickly pay for themselves. It's said that if all the gadgets in the country left on standby were turned off it would free up enough power to supply Basingstoke. Think of the poor people of Basingstoke in the dark and turn all your unused stuff off...
SMJ Remote Socket Triple Pack SMJRFE3TC
on 12 December 2011
Purchased this unit about three months ago and it has worked well and appears well made. I have just found that one receiver plug is not working and phoned SMJ. They indicated that this has been reported to them by others and they are working on it. Suggested I take back to shop but unfortunately its in Wales which isn't handy! Just so disappointed as I had an inferior device previously and hoped that this would be trouble free
on 12 February 2012
I've had these replaced twice in the 12 months or so since I bought them. I love the concept and when they work they're amazing, but both sets failed all of a sudden with no warning and no reason. In both cases the remote still lit up as if it were working but it wasn't controlling any of the sockets and so the set had to be returned. I don't know if the fault is the remote or the sockets but it's really annoying and I'm wondering what will happen now the 12 month warranty with the supplier is up. They're a great concept and feel like they're good quality but in my experience they're just not.
on 21 November 2013
I have used one of these for some time with one issue.
Just tried to add more but found the problem got worse.
The one I am using is connected to part of my hifi and operates a small transformer power plug.
Switching on is OK but off gives a huge surge which upsets my equipment - badly.
The notes say for Resistive loads only. Not even recommended for low-energy light bulbs.
Probably you will not notice the problem in most situations, but clearly the internal relay is very poor.
Now I am looking for something suitable for heavier loads, which may work better.
These are easy enough to set up. You have 4 channels to choose from A-D and each of these is further broken down to 1-3. So you set your sockets to the same letter and then number them off 1-3. On the remote you set it to the same letter (small flat screw driver required to turn the settings dial). Why do you need to faff around with this? - If your neighbour has a set of these you could well be turning each others electrical goods on and off. They can take 1000w, so unless you are plugging in high powered heaters, they should take just about any domestic electrical item.

The remote is clearly marked for plugs 1-3 and on/off. It takes a small 12v battery like this (B000L10VPW and a decent battery will last a long time.

I would give these 5 stars, but my remote control has failed after 18 months. I contacted the manufacturer, but they don't sell individual remotes. They did suggest buying a single pack as the remote is the same one, but a single pack costs almost as much as a 3 pack. I refuse to spend almost 15GBP for the sake of a remote control that probably costs a lot less than 5GBP. I don't think 18 months is a good enough lifespan. I have other remote controls that take more abuse and have outlived this thing.

I note that reviews are mixed with similar complaints of failed remotes. If you buy this, I think it will be a bit of a gamble on how long it will last with the odds being slightly favourable.

Bottom line:
Usefulness 5 stars
VFM 4 stars
Build quality 3 stars
Servicable life 1 star
Availability of spares 1 star
on 4 November 2014
I tired all three of these but none worked, I tried using different channels and different lamps but no joy. They socket clicked and the red light flashed but nothing happened to the lamp. After repeated clicking the whole ring main tripped...have returned.
on 28 June 2014
Fine product, good price. I have a few of these around the house and they've worked well for years. Bought these in case they disappeared from sale and wanted some backup for a handset that was getting through 1 battery every 6 months (faulty) - mostly the batts last much longer - eg 3 years and counting in some cases. Great product. Good for controlling table lamps etc from one place.
on 15 February 2016
Had a set of these for 5 months.They all stopped working last week. So must be remote unit.! Silly me, battery was flat. Put in a new 12 volt Duracell battery. still no work.Got on with something else. Next day tried again, New Duracell battery also flat.
Looked on web for spare operator.(A) buy a one operator unit with new remote OK, they don't sell separate remotes .When until you added VAT etc and final price was awful. Sharp practice or what! Don't buy.
on 2 February 2014
This is great one of the best things I have bought for a long time. I have trouble with my knees and back etc so bending to put a plug in is painful. My son put this in the socket and I set each one to separate articles that I use often and now all I do is press 1,2,3. I dont know who invented them but they are great and has helped my enormously. They were well packaged and delivery was quick too so company is good too.
on 8 July 2014
Excellent product for the price, works ok, no problems with the item whatsoever, this was a good purchase.

See one answered question