on 12 May 2014
When I was looking for an action camera,I was looking at the more obvious contenders. A friend mentioned this product to me and I started looking at it. After a bit of research, I decided to buy it. The first thing to note is that it comes with a large selection of mounts and straps, even a spare door and seal for the waterproof case! Usually these things are extra.
NOTE. About the only thing not in the box is a micro SD card, so I would recommend getting one of these at the same time. It will take up to a 32gb SDHC card.
After charging the camera, I fired it to the handlebar of my mountain bike and cycled around for a bit. The picture quality is excellent and the stability also very good. I then attached the camera to my cycle helmet and went out on the road. The image stability is better, as your body is damping vibration.
The camera cuts the video into 3 minute segments with a slight overlap (don't know if you can alter this) so you can stitch them together with software. The 'manual' is very basic, but the setup menus are fairly simple to understand.
All in all, this is a brilliant product, and bearing in mind that it's less than a third of the price of its main competitor, you just can't beat it.
44 comments157 of 165 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 August 2015
After a couple of near misses cycling to work I was looking for a camera that would provide clear footage if needed but I wasn't prepared to pay £200-£300 on a Go-Pro. After some searching I came across this camera and have to say I've been very impressed. It was within my budget and offered my everything that I would need it for. Its light and compact and pretty easy to set up. I've been using it about a week and apart from getting used to the different settings etc I've no issues with it. I'm not an expert on frame rates etc and what's good or bad but the video picture quality is good enough for me. If you want more professional/higher quality footage then the Go-Pro would probably give you that but if its just for casual use then the Qumox is fine. I tried it today in the rain and the waterproof cover worked with no problems. My only gripe if you like is the manual it is a bit basic, it doesn't tell you what all the different functions are/mean but a quick search of the internet and I had found the answers. Don't let that put you off though, I'm really impressed by it and think its well worth the money.
on 22 July 2014
Good alternative to Go Pro. Still not 100% sure of all the attachments but have been using a small joby gorrilapod for driving shots wrapping it around the rear view mirror
11 comment9 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2015
Amazing diving camera. Can hardly believe it, for the price . I've used this little camera on around 50 dives in Malta, the Red Sea and Sicily. Taken it to 40 metres. I use a Go-Pro red filter for 10m+. Other divers are fascinated with it, because it literally IS the same as a go-pro except just a little more flimsy in its construction. The video is great, the photos are great. The little accessories bag that comes with it has pretty much everything you could ever need! Just remember to grease the silicone with silicone grease every now and then.
on 21 July 2015
We were looking for a reasonably priced alternative to the “well known” brand and bought this camera largely on the strength of the review video by Furball. It is a lovely piece of kit, well made and of excellent quality. We have used it in the car and on bicycles and have been extremely impressed with the picture quality. It is easy to use, although the instruction manual may have been a challenge if I had not watched Furball’s video! If I had a criticism it is that the manual does not explain what the various (and many) option settings actually do, but in reality, we managed to work most out! All in all we are very happy! Just remember that, as mentioned once before in reviews, you do need to buy a micro SD card for the camera, so the “suggested” card and adapter is a good idea!
on 12 August 2015
Has worked really well for me. Have taken it down to 35m underwater multiple times on holiday, and it gives very nice videos.

Problems:
I like to record my dives, and some are over an hour. After about 40 mins, the camera starts saving to a second file. When you post process these together after the dive, there is a short amount of time missing while it changes between files, so you lose a part of the vid.
It's probably less then a second loss between files.

The date and time settings are lost when you replace the battery. You can get about this by changing the battery while the camera is charging.

The hinge appears to be starting to rust.

I would and have recomended this camera to people, and besides the above, have loved it.
on 5 January 2016
I've had this product for quite a while now. So I thought I'd do a review on it.

I use the camera on my route to work, having been knocked off my bike before and the driver drove off. I decided to record my routes.

The battery over time has degrade some what, a full charge now will last me about 55mins to an hour, cycle to work is 45 mins, so I charge it up when I'm at work, I have had it for over a year so I was expecting the battery degrade.

The case is still water proof, I took it on holiday last summer and was able to record turtles under water with it.

It doesn't come with bluetooth or wifi connections, but it does have a screen on the back.
It also came with lots of accessories out of the box. I can't remember all of them, but I do remember being pleasantly surprised, things like stickers, different connections to the camera cover, and plastic cuffs.

The Camera quality is top notch, its not blurry and very clear even in the dark (I use a bike light attached right next to the camera).

It records in around 2 minute intervals and stores them in sections on the sd card, sometimes they overlap a little, sometimes they don't, so if your a movie maker or something, that may be worth bearing in mind.

It also takes stills and has a few options for picture quality.

All in all if you can't afford a go pro and are happy to settle on a camera that doesn't have bluetooth or wifi, this is a great alternative.
on 26 May 2014
I’ve bought in car cameras before and they have been lacking in every way but I can highly recommend the SJ4000 as it work very well and picture quality is really HD and not like a lot of others who claim to be so.

If anyone wants’ the in’s and out’s of these type of action cameras I recommend doing a Google for ‘Techmoan’ where you will find a good honest review of this and many other worthy cameras.

I’m using this camera, not as an action camera but as a in car camera so I have not used the waterproof accessories that come with the 4000 but there are many different mounting arrangements for this camera in the pack I’m sure they will suit most users.
Some say that the lens on this camera has too wide a field of view but for me it’s perfect for catching everything that can be seen out of the widescreen and even though the wide angle produces a slight fish eye view the video is pin sharp right to the edges and just as demo I can read the reg of cars parked on driveways that are almost right angle to the road I’m driving on although of course this is not my purpose for the camera as my main protection for this is recording activity in front of my car.

For use in the car the camera has auto start and stop so when I start the engine of the car the camera start recording and I have it set to record in 10 minute over lapping video files so when the key is removed from the ignition the camera will go on recording for up to 10 minute or whatever is left of its 10 minute cycle. The 10 minutes is adjustable downward to make shorter bites but the video on say a one hour journey are all seamlessly joined together and the ideal of breaking up the video recording length into shorter pieces is, I assume, to make the file sizes more manageable should you need to send a file to your insurance company. I use 32GB miniSD card with mine that can hold about 4 hours at top quality recording and with the camera in car mode when the card is full it just rewrites over the card from the beginning again so once setup you can just leave it until one day when you may require video evidence of an occurrence.
22 comments82 of 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2014
The video quality from this camera is superb. The colours are great - it works brilliantly underwater too as it comes with load of accessories. Highly recommended.
on 31 January 2015
See my full review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPoUtp83sOQ
The SJ4000 is a perfect budget GoPro alternative,
The camera comes with a load of accessories and mounts so you have everything you need to get started. Replacement cases, mounts and batteries are cheap and easy to get hold of.

The camera has a built in LCD screen and its video quality is very good/sharp, probably not quite up there with the best gopro cameras but its mighty impressive considering this camera costs around the £65 mark.

Recommended
review image
11 comment45 of 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse