Customer Discussions > A Science Fiction Omnibus forum

SF story from the seventies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Feb 2012 03:34:30 GMT
praxis says:
A library book I borrowed in the mid to late seventies. Have been trying to find it on and off for years. The story goes something like.....

A female Captain of an enormouse spacecraft is persueing a fugitive, who tricks her into flying too close to a star, but instead of destroying the ship, it breaks up into thousands of self contained individual ships. These are scattered widely, and our Captain finds herself alone, isolated with no way of making contact. However after an indeterminate length of time, she is rescued by the the survivors of the original ship, who have reassembled and searched for her since the disaster. She notes that not all the component parts of her original ship have survived.

I think I must have had to return the book before finishing it as thats all I can remember. Any information would be gratefully recieved. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2014 22:54:58 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Mar 2014 22:56:45 BDT
Rod Williams says:
This sounds like AE van Vogt's 'The Mixed Men' aka 'Lost, Fifty Suns'. At one point, there is indeed a female hunting for an entire civilisation of 'fugitives' who is led into the path of a supernova which nearly destroys her ship. From what I recall the rest of your synopsis seems quite accurate.
van Vogt's work was widely published in the 70s (although this is a 'fixup' novel based on short stories written in the 1940s)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xad246360)

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  29 Feb 2012
Latest post:  24 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
A Science Fiction Omnibus
A Science Fiction Omnibus by Brian Aldiss (Paperback - 29 Nov 2007)
4.1 out of 5 stars   (9)