Customer Discussions > Creative ZEN 8GB MP3 Player forum

SD card capability...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 29 Dec 2008 14:28:07 GMT
Does this mean if you buy for example an 8gb SD card (which is 10ish on amazon) that this simply upgrades the capacity of the mp3 player or is it just for storage purposes?

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jan 2009 23:11:14 GMT
The SD card isn't integrated with the rest of the player's memory - they are treated as separate compartments and there is no way to transfer stuff between them on the player. You have to use the (very clunky) Windows software which comes with it. So the SD card slot is a bit pointless.

It's a shame - they include a nice feature like an SD card slot, then ruin it by not making it usable.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2009 05:40:34 GMT
S. D. Wilson says:
I sent mine back because of this as it makes the memory card function completely useless. This is a cheap thrown together player.

Posted on 25 Feb 2009 12:58:30 GMT
The reviewers here who rubbish the SD card clearly haven't taken the trouble to explore the Memory Card menu options. Providing you use the 'standard' way to load music then there are no issues. By 'standard' I mean downloading CD's/albums (or even 'mixes') within folders. Using the main memory, this considerably simplifies the use of playlists (which IMHO is the best way of operating any MP3 player). In the case of the loading of the SD Memory card (in situ) I select Memoory Card (main menu) then Removable Disk, then follow the prompt to connect the PC. After connected to the PC, the PC Autoplay window opens and you then select 'Open folder to view files'. At this point it's so easy to drag and drop your MP3s (best done using the CD/album folders previously mentioned above).

If you do this, then when using your Zen you simply have to select Memory Card from it's main menu, then Browse - and (Magik!) you get your folders (which should have been named with the album/mix title) containing albums/mixes. These displayed folders operate in exactly the same way as your main memory playlists. You select your album of choice, click on the first MP3, start, and the album/mix plays through from start to finish.

Naturally if you prefer to build your own playlists, you simply do this in the PC (using one folder for each playlist).

Since I download a lot of movies (as well as music albums) I often put the lot in the SD memory card and it's easy to select either movie or MP3 playlist/mix as described above. In fact its easier to 'mix' video and MP3 playlists using the Memory Card than it is using the Zen's main memory.

I'm not getting at you guys, but it always seems biziarre to me to encounter folk who spend out on these things, but aren't prepared to spend a little time on how to use them properly (and worse to rubbish the product and maybe send it back).

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Feb 2009 22:18:35 GMT
Thanks. I bought the ZEN at X'mas and love it. I have just bought an SD Card and coundn't see how to use it but I now can. I agree you need to spend time to learn how to best use the player

Posted on 31 Mar 2009 22:47:54 BDT
ROB1 says:
Mr R. Blesson.
I am interested in buying the Zen but not that technically minded. I am currently converting old Audio tapes to MP3 format and copying to SD card which I would like to play on the Zen. Can I play directly from the SD card ( External memory? ) or do I have to down load from the SD card to the Zen's Internal memory to playback. I have had trouble on some cheap MP3 players with reconising the SD card,
or should I down load directly to the Zen's Internal memory. Please can anybody advise?

Posted on 24 Apr 2009 04:02:09 BDT
I've yet to try my SD card but to my knowledge it is treated separately as others have noted but you can play directly from it. It won't show in your playlists etc and I believe you can't do much else while in SD mode but until I actually try it I won't know for sure how the limitations affect it's use. As others have noted, it is disappointing to have a great feature like an expandable SD slot then not make it function as normal additional space.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Oct 2010 13:11:54 BDT
Last edited by the author on 25 Oct 2010 13:12:55 BDT
(William Morgan) truly excellent post - perfectly simple instructions, plus the opinions expressed - to which I wholeheartedly agree.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  29 Dec 2008
Latest post:  25 Oct 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Creative ZEN 16GB MP3 Player
Creative ZEN 16GB MP3 Player by Creative
3.8 out of 5 stars   (102)