on 30 April 2002
While the only outdoor activity I'm ever likely to participate in is the occasional Glastonbury, I sleep easier in my tent knowing that at a push I could probably fend off wild animals, or capture them for dinner !
It's full of fascinating information with clear diagrams and, while reading it I did entertain thoughts of 'me versus nature', however I like my home-comforts and 'ping cuisine' too much so I probably won't be making full use of this book.
There are plenty of astoundingly clever tips, and ways of doing things that would not have occurred to me. I think this book would be appreciated by anyone as a gift as it's a useful and absorbing read, whether or not the recipient is about to dash off into the wilderness.
Personally, I like to know that, at a push, I could 'get by' and survive and this book enables me to maintain this delusion !
on 8 December 2002
Well using this handy, concise and extremely informative guide, you can be secure in the knowledge that you will survive. Whether it be artic tundra, the desert or the woods, the SAS Survival Guide will help you in more ways than one.
The book teaches you pretty much everything, how to catch and cook- to camp craft and hygiene. If anyone is in danger, you will learn the medical ins and outs of what to do. I reccommend this book at the snatch of a price it is going at. It will most likely save your life, quite literally.
on 3 October 2000
This is the 'BIBLE' to me, it is full of essential knowlage for even a first time adventurer. I couldn't have got a better gift for chistmas apart from a new bike of course. I rate this book first class for useful tips. It keeps you ahead of the game.
This book is astoundingly useful and a very informative read. Even the 'armchair' survivalist will enjoy reading this and dreaming of the outdoors.
Perhaps the greatest acheievement of this book is that it has so much information packed into a pocket sized book. You are much more likely to throw this into a kit bag than any full sized survival tome.
Some of the information lacks specificity but this is forgivable as the author is aiming to cover pretty much any sort of survival situation. There may be better books out there for specific scenarios (eg different types of terrain or disasters) but none offer such a broad base of knowledge in such a handy size.
A must buy.
on 28 October 2003
From walking the countryside to climbing Everest, this book is an essential for any kind of outdoor pursuit. Small enough to fit inside a trouser pocket, or a corner of back pack, it is crammed with useful, and potentially lifesaving information. From tasks like starting a fire, to making shelter, and being found. I always take this book out with me, even if i'm only doing a days fishing on a river bank. A must for all of you who do any kind of outdoor pursuits.
on 9 April 1999
I've used this book when I've taken young people camping and was tasked to teach them some camp craft techniques. It's good fun to use in trying out some of the shelter making techniques as well. My husband uses it when working in Africa, the medical bits are very useful when the usual medical services are not available. I have both the Gem version and the larger version, one for the home and the other for the rucksack. Enjoy
on 19 December 2011
The original SAS Survival Guide by John 'Lofty' Wiseman.

This book really does have it all and the pocket sized guide makes it perfect for a side pocket of a rucksack. Always worth having with you. Don't be fooled by it's pocket size, this book really is extensive and packs so much information in it's unreal. There may be more extensive guides on particular topics like foraging and eating wild edibles but in terms of bang for your buck, you can't go wrong with this.

Superb, and cheap enough that everyone could buy one.
on 7 November 1998
Also being a cadet survival instructor, I have used this text (in both its pocket and large-sized form) in designing and training cadets in the more advanced areas of survival that the cadet program does not normally delve into. It is invaluable to the instructor, and well-worth the read by anyone from novice to intermediate in field survival. A must-have book. Much of the material has since been reproduced, almost identicaly in other survival manuals, but not nearly in the same extent or proper coverage.
on 26 April 2015
I have written a review already on the Kindle version of The SAS survival Guide (John ''Lofty'' Wiseman version) so I'll just focus on this product in itself here. The fact I have bought this book in two formats shows what a fantastic thing it is and the hard copy will not break or run out of batteries (though I will be referencing the Kindle version at home as the 'print' is much easier on the eyes). The book itself is the Collins Gem version and they have done a cracking job of it, the cover has a shiny sheen to it which would be water resistant to a point, the same is true of the pages themselves which means they wont 'brown' with age like most paperbacks. It is a little bigger than a tobacco tin so very easy to stick in the bottom of a rucksack though the content hasn't been cut down to fit in the smaller book.
Now, this was a second hand copy and some people don't like second hand books, I usually wouldn't entertain the prospect without seeing the condition of the book myself but I took the chance on this occasion. The company who supplied it (World Of Books) said it was in very good condition and they were right, it looks pretty much unused. It arrived very quickly and for the price of a penny and £2.50 postage it's a very good deal all round and this is a book that deserves a little use.
on 30 June 2006
You know how the Tardis looks so small outside and so big inside? Well this is the book version it is crammed with really usefull stuff and yet is so small you really can take it anywhere.

Just buy it!!!