on 7 April 2011
Reading this i instantly recognized aspects which had been amalgamated from other source such as 'how to win friends and influence people, the 7 habits of successful people, getting things done etc. Thus the ideas themselves were not particularly original. What is original is the way they are combined in a lucid/concise text, honed down to the key messages rather than being sprawled across hundreds of pages. Also the insights into the authors own life seem more genuine than in those other books which makes it marginally more absorbing.

At about 200 pages its a quick read and quite entertaining. I think you would be hard pressed not to derive some extra motivational energy or feel good factor from reading this book and I would certainly recommend it.
on 24 October 2011
Did the schools version with work, and thought it was great, so bought the book. It's all about changing your mind set, stop feeling sorry for yourself, think positive and move on - if things aren't working the way you've always done them, then change things! I have read it myself, passed it on to my partner, and there is a que of friends and family waiting to read it! Would definitely recommend this, life-changing!
on 23 February 2011
Great book full of practical ideas to help you get on with living your life and not wallowing in the past. A must for all those stagnant hippos (read the book to understand)
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am reviewing S.U.M.O. (Shut Up, Move on): The Straight-Talking Guide to Succeeding in Life , by Paul McGee, here's what I thought:

^^ Well, I'll be honest, I missed this book the first time around, so I was fairly excited to read this, as author Paul McGee celebrates 10 Years of Shut Up, Move On! (S.U.M.0). After all, a book that has been around and successful for that long, must have something good going for it, right?

^^ There are a few quirky cool features about how this book is laid out and this, combined with the information provided, makes it an entertaining yet informed read. Like odd things such as HIPPO time and Ditching Doris Day, for example.

^^ I found there were a lot of metaphors for business ideas that had already been done before, but this was definitely provided in a quirkier way- and not everyone has read as many of these self-help success books as I have, so in that case there is going to be plenty of new things for you to discover here.

^^ Obviously, there are also many heavyweight references to a sumo wrestler, too. Would this offend a real life Sumo wrestler?

^^ I do like the 'Sumo Wisdom' coloured sections that really stand out. It has a 'Dummies' kind of feel to it, only with different icons in the shape of a sumo wrestler.

^^ In addition, there are useful 'Points to Ponder', which are exercises to work through in order to get the best out of this book.

^^ I also love that at the end of each chapter there is a Sumo Summary - a quick summary of the main points to remember. For me it's like all the highlighted points I've picked out and literally highlighted myself - in one handy section.

^ Another good feature is 'The Personal Stuff' where the author talks through actually real life examples of his own, so you know he not only practices what he preaches, but he can lead by example.

Overall:

Paul McGee's international bestselling personal development heavyweight S.U.M.O. is an exiting, fun and fairly humorous find. I enjoyed reading about how the brain works and how we can use that (plus many other principles) to our advantage to gain success to meet life's challenges, whilst overcoming a negative mindset and just shutting up and moving on!
on 23 November 2015
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The cover of this book suggested that it was yet another flippant and superficial self-improvement book.

However I was forced to re-think my initial impression when I found that Dr Phil Hammond gives it high praise: Step forward Paul McGee, who I met at a GP conference recently. Paul has devised a life-coaching programme called SUMO – or "Shut Up. Move On" – which uses techniques such as cognitive behavioural therapy in a way that anyone can understand and apply.

In essence, the way you think and therefore feel determines your attitude, which is often what holds people back from enjoying their lives or coping with stress. Many of us walk around with an invisible "Victim" T-shirt on and feel powerless to change our circumstances, but Paul breaks down any challenge into seven steps:

1. Where is this issue on a scale of 1-10 (where 10 is death)?
2. How important will this be in six months’ time?
3. Is my response appropriate and effective?
4. How can I influence or improve the situation?
5. What can I learn from this?
6. What will I do differently next time?
7. What can I find that’s positive in this situation?

Life is essentially a series of difficult conversations, and none are more difficult than the ones we have with ourselves, or those closest to us. It’s far easier to live in denial and avoid issues, but the serious ones tend to mushroom rather than go away.

I’ve found the SUMO approach helpful in getting the kids to do their homework, getting myself to clean the toilet, making the awful decision to have our dog put down, accepting I have high blood pressure that needs treating and giving evidence at a public inquiry to try to prevent a local asbestos landfill.

***

So in summary, a very well designed and laid out book, easy to read and comprehend. And it very definitely IS 'straight-talking'!
on 1 November 2011
I now always carry the 7 questions. You see they help me when I am faced with a challenge - they just sit on my right shoulder. My friends are these 7 questions. Always giving me heplful advise just when I need them. Learn to SUMO!
on 24 February 2012
10% of life is what happens to you, 90% is what you make of it. This book summarises that message very well. Humorous throughout, this is the only self improvement book I have or will ever read.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I first read the original edition of this book when it was published ten years ago. A copy fell off a display at a station book stall in front of me. I picked it up and glanced through it. At the time I was in a work situation which I didn't like and which I really needed to shut up and move on from so the book hit exactly the right note and I bought a copy.

It was a pleasure to renew my acquaintance with the book in this tenth anniversary edition. It has lost none of its freshness over the years. I love the little cartoons which reinforce the messages. This is a quirky self help book which does not assume you can be perfect just by reading it. It includes a lot of the usual things such as changing the messages you give yourself; looking at people and situations from a different perspective trying to be positive. But it also suggests there are times when you actually need to just accept that you're feeling unhappy for whatever reason.

'Hippo Time' is when you need to wallow in your feelings of sadness or anger over something which has happened so that you get them out of your system. You have to be able to accept your feeling in order to move on. The book emphasises that you have to take responsibility for your own life and actions. Even if you can't control events which affect you, you can control your reactions to those events.

As with any self help book, the author's writing style has a big part to play in whether or not this book is of use to you. I found the author's style resonates with me and this book really did help me ten years ago and re-reading it now has reminded me of things I can do to improve my current situation
on 21 May 2012
I saw Paul as a guest speaker at a business conference, and his straight forward, relevant, no-nonesense style had everyone in the palm of his hand. I bought this book shortly afterwards and whilst it's not for everyone, if you deal with people at work, have a family or a relationship, or if you have EVER over-reacted to an event, or felt sorry for yourself - IT PROBABLY IS FOR YOU !! ...It's fun, easy to read and explains in simple terms how and why different people can see things in totally different ways and understanding WHY will improve your understanding of family, friends or work colleagues. It may sometimes be straight talking and keeps things simple, but that's what I like about it... Often, understanding the basics, understanding them well and getting them right is absolutely 'key' - The author also shares his own personal experiences which is refreshing... SUMO - All in all, a good informative and thought provoking read.
on 14 June 2015
This is the third copy of this book I have purchased as each time I find someone who I want to share these life changing tips with. As a former wearer of the "victim" T-Shirt I can honestly say that it gives you lots of punchy "bites -size" tips that you can put into action to take responsibility for your life and not expect others to do it for you. I love the way this edition has been updated slightly, the personal stories Paul shares throughout make it real and tells us about times when even Mr SUMO himself has got it wrong. As the book says its how we respond to things that daily living throws as us that counts as that what we have control off. Think everyone should have a copy of this book on their bookshelf to refer to when you are just having a little too much HIPPO time and feeling sorry for yourself. Or like me to read and share the love by passing it on to friends and family.