Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Amazon Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Shop now

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a really nice looking machine. The suckers at the bottom help keep it securely in place. The attachments are the standard Kbeater type that is used for mixing cake batter etc. The balloon whisk for egg whites etc and the dough hook. Kbeater & dough hook are cast sprayed aluminium and the balloon whisk is stainless steel and cast aluminium. I always love the stainless bowls on any mixer.

Yes it is noisy but then I find all these types are. I tend to put a few tea towels underneath to minimise the noise. And alike all the other type of mixers like this the beaters never reach the bottom, so they give you a spatula to help with the scraping of the ingredients.

It as easy to use controls and the attachments are easy to remove and wash. My husband hates the guards that come with this but I like them, especially when cooking with my grandchildren.

If you want this to colour coordinate in your kitchen thats fine, but other wise I would go for the cheaper Andrew James or the more built to last Kenwood Chef, as both of them are better value for money.

I found the contours of this machine to be not as easy to clean as the rounded versions of the others on the market, it has dips & groves etc that are not as easy to wipe down.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While this is beautiful machine that would look stylish in any kitchen and does exactly what a mixer is required to do, it disappoints slightly.

For my baking, the biggest peeve is needing to constantly halt the machine to use a spatula on the sides of the bowl. The paddle/whisk tends to leave a lot of mixture clinging to the side of the bowl and unlike others I've tried (Andrew James/Kenwood/Kitchen Aid) the mixture tends to come out a little uneven with bits of unmixed flour popping up needing a lot of checking.

The control is very straight forward unlike a lot of the newer models which add digital timers, variation speed features and different modes of spinning/hook movement. All you have here is a lock and eight variations on speed. Simple and easy to come to grips with for someone who doesn't want complicated technology that requires a lot of instruction manuals and mistakes to learn from.

Comes with the basic bog standard attachments, whisk (great for beating cream or making smooth batters), dough hook (essential for making bread or pastry) and a paddle which is great for handling things like cake batter or cookie dough.

For a starter mixer, this is pretty decent although it is a bit pricy. For the same price I'd suggest skipping this one and going with something like the 1000/1500 watt Andrew James models which come with a 5.2 litre or 7.5 litre bowl but if this goes down in price considerably (about £60) then it'd be more than adequate.

For someone just beginning to get into baking, this would be ideal (at a good price), but for the serious baker who plans on using their machine excessively, I don't see this holding up/performing as efficiently as needed on a regular basis.

I think for the most part more effort was made on design and attractiveness than the actual functionality of the machine. It almost feels like this is intended for those who want a machine to display in their modern kitchen rather than use...
on 6 March 2014
Bought this as a Xmas extra for my 11 year old grand daughter, she wouldn't be without it, her mother loves it too, they often bake together.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
It's a stylish beast to be sure and looks good on the countertop but it's not designed or built for the dedicated baker. The mixing action doesn't reach the bottom/sides of the bowl which requires manual intervention with a spoon now and then. If you are using it to mix something thick or heaven forbid, dough the machine vibrates and strains and even wobbles around the countertop a bit. It'll do for the odd cake but if you have ambitions to bake often this probably isn't the best machine out there, it's also quite large which may be of concern to those with limited space.
on 7 August 2015
It looks great and has good attachments. However, it is far too noisy, the attachments don't reach the sides or the bottom, it's impossible to mix any kind of icing because it just plasters the butter to the sides and bottom (where it can't reach)! And finally the cord storage is a great idea, but with no switch to retract it, it takes a while to manually try and shove all the cord through that little gap and into the bottom of the machine. I was really excited for this, but sadly it was a bit of a let down.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Throughout the years I have tested many mixers but this is the first Russell Hobbs one I have tried.

First off this is a cheap mixer (£99 at time of writing) - do not compare it to more expensive ones as that is an unfair comparison.

The mixer doesn't look cheap and the parts feel fairly sturdy. It is noisy in operation but the speed control is quite nice to use. It also comes with a splash guard which helps keep the mess in the bowl!

The mixing action is not the best but like I have mentioned already, in this price bracket you rarely get perfection. This does require a lot of bowl scraping regardless of which bowl tool you use. There is a reasonable amount at the bottom which the mixer cannot get to.

The dough hook works much better as the dough picks up all the stray ingredients in the bowl. The mixer does sound a bit strained when kneading but it doesn't move around the worktop like some others do.

Its a perfectly adequate mixer for the occasional baker and those who do not mind scraping the bowl every few seconds. Personally, I would save up to purchase a Kenwood Chef which can be picked up on Amazon for only a bit more when they are on offer. Even the basic chef has a liquidiser etc, this Russell Hobbs machine offers great value for money but I feel the price has sacrificed the versatility.

To summarise, for what it is, the Russell Hobbs mixer is a capable machine for very little money (compared to others). 4 stars.
on 16 January 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For me this is a difficult item to review. It looks great, has a nice feel to it and did everything I wanted to a satisfactory level.

However, it does have its downfalls, mainly being the noise when you use it. The excess vibrating I can deal with, but for a brand new and never used machine, it sounds like something that's on its last legs. Obviously you will have a guarantee, but no one buys something hoping that it will go wrong as they have that insurance, and I'm not convinced this will withstand a lot of use.

Unlike others, I've had no issues with having to scrape mixture off the side of the bowl. I can't fault anything the machine does, but my liking towards it is swayed more by the appearance of it rather than the capabilities to do the job.

This would be ideal as a machine used now and again, but I'm unconvinced how long it would last so a slightly more costly alternative would probably be the route i would choose.
on 16 August 2014
I got this mixer for my partner who is an avid baker, we have had various mixers in the past some good some not so good unfortunately this falls in the bracket of not so good
It may be a good looking mixer but it's to noisy, when mixing anything whether it's cake mix or bread dough the mixer itself seems to struggle and starts to jutter so will start and stop which you with a lumpy mess in the bowl. Another bad point is the bowl that's supplied is to deep and the Nixon. Blades do not reach around the bowl sufficiently so your left with an unmoxed mess in the bottom and sides of the bowl.
I would not recommend this to anyone unless they want to pay out for a new mixer in about a month
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Very spiffy looking machine, fairly stable when in use but under powered for its size. Does the job when whisking egg whites or a cake batter but labours a bit when mixing dough. If you were a serious baker then you would be getting a mixer with a bigger motor, for general use and the odd bit of baking then this mixer is fine and dandy but don't expect too much from it. Also it has no options available for extra equipment no blender etc so a tad limited.

10/09/14 Addendum; This mixer started to make funny noises and emit smoke after mixing a light sponge about two weeks ago. Hideously underpowered so has been retired to the landfill, not very impressed.
on 29 April 2015
It lacks a bit of speed but it definitely serves it's purpose for my needs. It is easy to clean and stays put on the work surface due to the rubber feet underneath it.

See one answered question