The great Charles Laughton found one of his most iconic roles in Leo McCarey's definitive screen version of Harry Leon Wilson's best-seller Ruggles of Red Gap
a wryly humorous tapestry of the American West at the turn of the 20th century.
When the Earl of Burnstead (Roland Young) transfers the services of Ruggles (Laughton), his immaculate English valet, to Egbert Floud (Charlie Ruggles), a wealthy, brash American, the repercussions prove more dramatic than anyone could have anticipated. Relocating to Red Gap, Washington, Ruggles slowly overcomes his disconcertment as he encounters new alliances, enemies, the route to independence, and, possibly, love.
A riotous clash between the Old World and the New, McCarey's legendary comic instincts combine with his customary tender respect to make one of the most glorious and enduring comedies of classical Hollywood. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the UK home viewing première of McCarey's "Best Picture" Oscar-nominated film and for the first time anywhere in the world on Blu-ray. SPECIAL FEATURES:
- Beautiful new high-definition master, officially licensed from Universal Pictures
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- Optional music and effects track
- Ruggles on the Radio: three adaptations made for radio broadcast, all featuring Charles Laughton and Charlie Ruggles in a reprisal of their famous roles
- Laughton reciting Lincoln's Gettysburg Address, originally released as a 78-rpm record in 1937.
- PLUS: A booklet featuring rare archival imagery, and more!
"A brilliant, hilarious and fondly satirical look at Anglo-American relations and culture gaps, faultlessly directed by Leo McCarey with Laughton in masterly form - " Radio Times
"This is the archetypal film they don't make any more" - Time Out Film Guide
"Rapturously funny." - The New York Times