The Ruby on Rails™3 Tutorial: Learn Rails by Example by Michael Hartl has become a must read for developers learning how to build Rails apps.
—Peter Cooper, editor of Ruby Inside
Very detailed and hands-on Rails Tutorial!
Great job! I’m learning Rails, and found your tutorial to be one of the most detailed and hands-on guides. Besides many details of Rails, it also taught me about Git, Heroku, RSpec, Webrat, and most important (at least to me), it emphasized the Test-Driven Development (TDD) methodology. I learned a lot from your tutorial. Keep up the good job! Thanks so much for sharing it.
—Albert Liu, senior manager, Achievo Corporation.
Ruby on Rails Tutorial is the best!
Just wanted to say that your Ruby on Rails tutorial is the best! I’ve been trying for a while to wrap my head around Rails. Going through your tutorial, I’m finally feeling comfortable in the Rails environment. Your pedagogical style of gradually introducing more complex topics while at the same time giving the reader the instant gratification and a sense of accomplishment with working examples really works for me. I also like the tips and suggestions that give me a sense of learning from a real Rails insider. Your e-mail response to a problem I ran into is an example of your generous sharing of your experience.
—Ron Bingham, CEO, SounDBuytz
I love the writing style of the Rails Tutorial
I love the writing style of the Rails Tutorial, and there is so much content that is different from other Rails books out there, making it that much more valuable...Thanks for your work!
—Peter Cooper, Editor of Ruby Inside
Using Rails 3, developers can build web applications of exceptional elegance and power. Although its remarkable capabilities have made Ruby on Rails one of the world’s most popular web development frameworks, it can be challenging to learn and use. Ruby on Rails™ 3 Tutorial is the solution. Leading Rails developer Michael Hartl teaches Rails 3 by guiding you through the development of your own complete sample application using the latest techniques in Rails web development.
Drawing on his experience building RailsSpace, Insoshi, and other sophisticated Rails applications, Hartl illuminates all facets of design and implementation—including powerful new techniques that simplify and accelerate development.
This book will help you
- Install and set up your Rails development environment
- Go beyond generated code to truly understand how to build Rails applications from scratch
- Learn Test Driven Development (TDD) with RSpec
- Effectively use the Model-View-Controller (MVC) pattern
- Structure applications using the REST architecture
- Build static pages and transform them into dynamic ones
- Master the Ruby programming skills all Rails developers need
- Define high-quality site layouts and data models
- Implement registration and authentication systems, including validation and secure passwords
- Update, display, and delete users
- Add social features and microblogging, including an introduction to Ajax
- Record version changes with Git and share code at GitHub
- Simplify application deployment with Heroku