Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 23 Oct 2012 09:09:19 BDT
I'm looking to buy my son a game capture device, hes into recording his games via laptop and wants to record his xbox/ps3 games, hes only 13 so am looking for something that works with not a lot of extra mucking about and comes complete with all cables and software it needs, I have been looking at the new Roxio device but there are only 3 comments on this, I'd be grateful for any help anyone can give me, I don't want to buy this and find out later that it won't do what he actually wants. Thanks in advance

Posted on 24 Oct 2012 04:19:57 BDT
GTS says:
The game capture hd pro comes with the capture card itself, the usb cable to connect the card to the PC and a disc with the software required for capturing gameplay. It comes with no other cables so you're going to need to get another HDMI cable or component cable. You need the ones you'd connect to your TV to connect to the capture card input and you'll need another of the same type of cable to connect the card to the TV. You can get these cables really cheap however, I bought a 5m HDMI cable last week on Amazon for a few pounds.

Setting up is pretty easy, connect the xbox hdmi/component cable to Xbox and the input side of the card, connect the other hdmi/component cable (same as you're using for the input) to the capture card and the TV and then connect the usb cable to the PC. The software is an easy step by step process. Oh and this is definitely worth noting, while your capture card is bridging the connection between your console and the TV, the capture card will need to be connected to a PC to provide a little power for the TV to receive a connection otherwise you'll get no signal.

The software is pretty easy to capture and live stream. Just make sure to select the correct input from the drop down, it will either be component or HDMI. If the wrong one is selected then you'll get no signal or display. The capture card also comes with decent editing software although it does have a habit of crashing with a few options or just every now and then if the PC you're using isn't great. It's easy enough to deal with though and it usually saves the last action you did just in case. It's far better than any free alternatives out there that I've found and I've looked at quite a lot.

The quality of the capture card is pretty good. It records up to 1080p at 30 frames per second and if you record at that quality then the file size is around 1Gb used for every 20 minutes of recording, even less if you record at 720p or below so it's pretty efficient space wise. You can live stream directly to Twitch.tv from the capture software itself if you so desire which also allows you to use a mic while streaming and you can upload directly to Youtube from the editing software. Just a quick note about using a mic, you can use the mic while live streaming and you can use it for voice over in the editing software but you cannot use a mic to record your voice while recording with the Roxio software. If you want to do this then your best bet is to use a Mic connected to your PC and record with Audacity, import your recording in the editing software and synch it with the video.

It's pretty good overall, I bought one recently and it was delivered last week. I've been having a play around with it to get used to using it and learn a bit about it. It should do what you're wanting it to and it does come with instructions. If you get stuck with anything then Roxio do have forums you can post in as well where there's a fair number of users willing to provide some help.

If you are going to buy this however then I'd suggest buying directly from the US Roxio site. Look up "I got a new toy shaun0728" on Google and click the first result. You can watch the video if you feel like it, reliable person giving their opinion on it but click the first link in the description to be taken to the Roxio site on the Machinima promo page, click buy now on the Game Capture HD Pro to be taken to the shopping cart. Enter the voucher code "ROXIOSTORE15" and you'll get 15% off that promo price. It basically works out at about £75 instead of the £111.60 Amazon are charging for it. The delivery time will be much longer however, I was told I'd receive it by 3 weeks after I'd ordered it. I got it just over 2 weeks after ordering but you could well have to wait the 3 weeks. If you'd much prefer Amazon though then I'd not discourage that in the slightest, the option to buy directly from the company that creates this card is there though.

Hope that helps you out a bit. It's a lot of money to spend on something so it's always best to have a little more information to consider.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Oct 2012 21:46:29 BDT
Thankyou very much, this has been a great help :D I do now plan to go ahead and buy this and will use the set up guide and information you have provided, I will check out the roxio site as this is going to be a christmas present and i have a few weeks to spare :D, ill order the 2 x Hdmi cables also, so glad you mentioned about the cables as my son would have got it at xmas and not been able to use it, thanks again you have been a brilliant help :)

Posted on 9 Nov 2012 08:57:24 GMT
Just recieved this :D did buy it from Roxio uk and got it cheaper, thanks again for all your help :D

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Dec 2012 08:00:22 GMT
Simon Garcia says:
Hi I'm thinking of getting one for my 13yr old, can I ask how you got it cheaper from Roxio please?

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Dec 2012 19:39:25 GMT
I paid £90 for it but i now see amazons have brought the price down :D was £115 last month.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  23 Oct 2012
Latest post:  7 Dec 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Roxio Game Capture HD Pro (PS4/PS3/Wii/Xbox 360/Xbox One)
Roxio Game Capture HD Pro (PS4/PS3/Wii/Xbox 360/Xbox One) by Roxio (Nintendo Wii, PlayStation 3, Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP, Xbox 360 / One)
3.2 out of 5 stars   (194)