Most helpful critical review
113 of 114 people found the following review helpful
Fundamental flaw in software
on 11 November 2009
I rarely provide reviews and have never provided a bad review (largely because I'm British and it feels wrong somehow?!). However, in this case I'm going to make an exception. I bought this product because the blurb said it would capture video AND let you edit it seamlessly with iMovie.
On the plus side, this program DOES capture VHS from your old video cassettes or VHS-C/Video8 camcorder recordings. It set up easily enough and I was capturing my old home movies within 30 mins of installing the software. HOWEVER, this is where my problems began.
EVHS-DVD converts your old video into MPEG2 files. This is no problem if you capture your video then choose to IMMEDIATELY edit it with iMovie. The software converts MPEG2 into a format that allows you to edit with iMovie.
Unfortunately, after capturing your video, the software presents you with several options, one of which is 'Capture more video' (or similar wording). If you have several cassettes as I did, you choose the 'Capture more video' each time. Eventually you end up with several MPEG2 files on your hard disk which is where the problems start.
1. iMOVIE WILL NOT OPEN MPEG2 FILES
2. EVHS-DVD WILL NOT LET YOU OPEN FILES YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY CAPTURED USING EVHS-DVD.
3. EVHS-DVD WILL NOT CONVERT MPEG2 FILES UNLESS YOU CHOOSE 'Edit with iMovie' EACH TIME YOU CAPTURE A VIDEO
4. THERE IS NO WARNING IN THE SOFTWARE THAT IGNORING THE 'Edit with iMovie' OPTION MEANS YOUR CAPTURED VIDEO CAN NEVER BE OPENED AGAIN BY EVHS-DVD
5. THE MPEG2 FILES YOU NOW POSSESS ARE EFFECTIVELY REDUNDANT. No program on your Mac will open them (unless you have a special QuickTime plugin) and iMovie will not import them
I have had a long email conversation with Roxio Technical Support who effectively said 'Yes sir, you're right, and we note your concern, but we can't help you'. Very poor indeed.
The whole problem could be solved if EVHS-DVD had a 'File....Open' option to open files you've previously captured. But there just isn't. Nothing. My advice is do not buy this product until this very fundamental flaw is fixed.