Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > The Casual Vacancy forum

JK Rowling new book MORE exspensive on Kindle than an actual hardback book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Apr 2012 20:47:01 BDT
How can that even be possible? The hardback is £10 and the kindle version is £12?? Surely it costs more to print a physical book?

Posted on 17 Apr 2012 12:20:13 BDT
Lou says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 18 Apr 2012 11:52:09 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on 8 May 2012 09:43:49 BDT
Don't buy it till it comes down in price - that's what I'm gonna do.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 May 2012 11:19:01 BDT
Damaskcat says:
The price of the Kindle book is set by the publisher and cannot be discounted by Amazon. Amazon can set the price of the hardback. Nothing is ever priced according to the cost of production - it's priced according to what people will pay - that is how businesses make a profit.

Posted on 31 May 2012 19:20:24 BDT
Martin Rix says:
"it's priced according to what people will pay"
I'll pay the cheaper price. I WANT the Kindle version, but as it costs them so much NOT to buy Paper, Ink and Bindings; I think I'll go for the hardback.

In reply to an earlier post on 5 Jul 2012 15:16:40 BDT
It's so wrong charging more for the kindle version. No trees die for kindle . Like others I'll wait till it comes down in price

Posted on 16 Jul 2012 16:53:05 BDT
cat1cat1cat1 says:
'no trees die for kindle' !? if you care that much about the environment then what do you think when you sit there charging up your kindle????

buy the cheaper one, simple as that!

Posted on 28 Jul 2012 21:11:15 BDT
Boleyn says:

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Aug 2012 02:29:06 BDT
McStick says:
And that would be a disaster, considering it will be impossible to do any reprints and the Kindle version can only be downloaded a limited number of times before the Amazon servers explode. Now, what planet am I living on...

Posted on 2 Aug 2012 10:47:36 BDT
Belinda says:
Actually, at the moment it costs publishers more to produce ebooks. This is a problem because the consumer expects to pay less for not receiving a physical product. Until the technology used to make ebooks becomes less expensive, a publisher's profit margin is less on an ebook than on a hard copy book. I'll pay extra for a kindle copy because it is more convenient. I'm not going to save money on a hard copy I don't want and then lug it around with me.

Posted on 6 Aug 2012 01:15:12 BDT
kit vitae says:
it's also the case that rowling has said time and again that she doesn't like e-readers, thinking they're not ~real enough~ to read properly on.

Posted on 10 Aug 2012 12:49:09 BDT
S. Kroon says:
No wonder people download ebooks on torrentsites!

Posted on 10 Aug 2012 22:05:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 10 Aug 2012 22:05:43 BDT
Ebooks have VAT, books don't. If you add VAT to the book price, it's £11.83. I guess someone just rounded it up. Still, I expect to pay less for a Kindle book and I'll be holding off buying until that's the case.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Sep 2012 11:50:10 BDT
Stephen says:
"Ebooks have VAT, books don't. If you add VAT to the book price, it's £11.83"

How did you get to that price? 20% VAT, £10 original price, 10 * 0.2 is... £12.00

Posted on 23 Sep 2012 13:36:50 BDT
I got it from the actual price of £9.86, not £10.

Posted on 26 Sep 2012 19:58:59 BDT
YET Another - big company rip-off ! Kindle is cheaper to produce; without question. As said before its the publisher who sets the price. DON'T BUY IT until it comes down. Plenty of other books to read in the meantime. lol

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 10:34:09 BDT
The reason is that Amazon knows this book will generate large sales. In order to secure sales for new releases of (physical) books, big companies like Amazon and supermarkets often decide to sell these books at a loss to themselves in order to entice customers into their shops for the first sales. This drives down the store price of these hard backs. Notice how regular, less-anticipated hardbacks are released at a price of around £15-20 - under £10 is ridiculous.

The ebook market is, for the time being, unaffected by this as where you buy an ebook is largely determined by which reader you own.

Don't think of it as an expensive ebook - it's a regularly priced ebook and a very cheap hardback.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 12:27:17 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Sep 2012 12:29:26 BDT
anniepannie says:
Order it from your local library!

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 17:41:24 BDT
Printed books are exempt from VAT (20%) digital books aren't.

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 20:53:23 BDT
Rusty Dee says:
I have the free sample on my Kindle and bought the hb for £10 ... I'm very happy and so far enjoying the book :)
After all the full price was £20 ..... some people are never pleased ......
Stop moaning and go to the library then! Or read something else :p

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 22:37:50 BDT
M. McGrath says:
I understand the frustration of kindle users but books are still great value for the amount of entertainment and pleasure they bring. £10-£12 is the price of a single movie ticket or a couple of pints at the pub.

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 23:30:48 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Sep 2012 23:31:48 BDT
Kay says:
I've never seen so much MOANING on here. Look you have two choices, either buy it at this price or don't... but just stop with all the whinging.

Posted on 28 Sep 2012 00:00:16 BDT
You are three clicks away from Amazon to downloading a pirate copy. I don't blame people who do either given the exorbitant Kindle pricing but PLEASE stop filling up the review section. The book will, I think, invite enough one-star ratings as it is.

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2012 07:21:44 BDT
Kindle have been offering books with colour for a considerable period even though colour Kindle is still not available
Many books that I would like to buy on kindle need the ability to read maps,the books I have downloaded the zoom has not been able to pick out Town/River names,a vital requirement in a lot of circumstances.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Casual Vacancy forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  14 Apr 2012
Latest post:  3 Mar 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - 27 Sept. 2012)
3.5 out of 5 stars (3,882)