on 1 September 2003
It was absolutly hilarious from start to finish, like the previous one "The Giggler Treatment." In it Rover the dog takes over from Rudolph ,and with help from the children, delivers all the presents all over the world.
All the way through there are some bizzare chapters about talking crackers and cacti which make no sense what so ever but they made me laugh until I heard the next one.
I would recomend this book to anyone aged between 5-105.
on 9 December 2001
This is a really good book to set children's imagination working as it ia very cleverly written mischievous writing.
Rudolf the Reindeer backs our if Christmas and santa has to turn to Jimmy, Robbie and Rover the Dog to deliver the presents.I choose this story to use with a Special needs group of poor writers to spark their ideas by showing them that a story can have three different beginnings and nine different endings and clever twists. Read chapter 12 Enjoy they did!
on 14 December 2011
This book was fantastic and we couldn't stop giggling as i read it to my 11 & 6 year old children. The randomness of it is highly amusing, including a battle between different toothpaste brands! I highly recommend this book and my children agree that it is FANTASTIC!
on 22 January 2014
Bought this book for my eight year old granddaughter, she loved it. Great bedtime reading. She'd finished it in a week
on 20 October 2005
Zzap!! This is a great book, no question. It's Christmas eve and Rudolph's gone on strike (typical). Santa sends one of his elves to go and fetch Rover, top-notch hound, ready for anything. After grudgingly agreeing to pull the famous sleigh, Rover's in deep water. How can they deliver all the presents before morning?
Well you'll just have to read the book to find out, won't you?
Brilliant jokes, wisecracks, gags, and comical words and phrases to keep you going throughout the book. 5/5, 10/10, 18743323423423525236456457547/18743323423423525236456457547.
I also recommend the prequel 'The Giggler Treatment' and the sequel 'The Meanwhile Adventures.
on 31 October 2007
Wow! This is the first Roddy Doyle 'Childrens' book I have read. The gurgle comes from the fact that I read it from cover to cover in the bath (1 bath). Absolutely brilliant - If only we could get Nick Parks or Spielburg to read this I am sure it would result in a block buster movie.

I came onto this site to see what other books of this genre were available and was totally unsurprised to see a 5 star rating. Buy it and give a copy to the biggest book snob you know (Then watch them try and put it down) - Snobs - Bah Humbug!!

My age? 55 and wishing we had books like this 'when I was a lad'.
on 22 April 2008
This is a histerically funny book to read, with so many little querky features. My son could not put it down! Roddy Doyle's uncompromising humour does not patronise, and makes it all the more fun to read together.
Brilliant!
on 12 December 2011
This was rated as less good, and less funny, than the first Rover book ('The Gigglers') by two of my gandchildren (aged 5 and 6), but they still enjoyed it. 'The Gigglers' they found fantastic.
on 25 March 2013
Ordered this for my son's school project, he needed a roddy Doyle book. He was laughing out loud while reading it, a big hit. I have ordered another of his for him.
on 27 December 2013
Too many little filler bits that were too "wacky" to be funny and were obviously there to add to the word count of a very thin plot.