VINE VOICEon 29 March 2010
I've found Rough Guide to be the most reliable and easiest to use series of travel guides. Their contents pages and indexes are always impeccable (no infuriatingly incorrect page numbers), and the contents are always laid out well, easy to browse (this isn't a novel - travellers usually want information quickly, and Rough Guide gives it quickly).
This updated guide to Poland (July 2009) is no exception. All the main areas are covered, and lots of interesting day trips are mentioned. I have found a couple of spelling errors with names (one lake in Mazuria is called Lukajno, but should be Luknajno), which is a bit disappointing, but generally the important facts are correct, as far as I have found.
I've mostly used it for the Mazuria section, as that is where I am living at the moment, and it suggests a lot of nature reserves and areas off the beaten track that would otherwise be hard to find. The Warsaw and Gdansk sections are also well researched, and provide a wealth of ideas for activities and places to eat.
Another good feature of Rough Guides is the series of maps using different scales, which makes it easy to locate yourself and make your way around.
If you're going to Poland, this is without doubt the best guide book to have.
on 17 August 2010
I bought this book because the up to date lonely planet guide on Krakow was a pretty small city "encounter" guide (I had purchased this alongside it), so I thought the extra info from this book would benefit my trip. I also wanted some info on Warsaw as I planned to spend the weekend there - what I got from this book was much much more than I ever expected!! The book is obviously about all of Poland, but the info it provided on Krakow was actually more detailed than the Krakow-specific lonely planet book. I like to go to places and have a guide to read alongside as I walk, e.g. detailing the different state rooms inside Wawel Castle - not just telling me that there is a castle in Wawel with several exhibits like the Lonely Planet guide did! The rough guide restaurant guide was good, and everywhere we ate and drank in was lovely, but the book does not give symbols for the price range of the places, and instead we had to guess by the language used to describe it - this is just a minor inconvenience though (we are students :P)

Overall - fantastic book, and although it details many places in Poland, this does not make this book too "general", and the detail for both Krakow and Warsaw was fantastic!
on 24 November 2010
I was looking for as much info on Poland as I can get from a travel guide. This Rough Guide exceeds my expectations! This is so detailed and complete it covers every aspect that matters (to me anyway). I learned a lot of the history of Poland too and when is visited Poland I felt almost at home. The 'handling' of this order was (ofcourse) the normal good standard, on time in perfect condition. I can recommend this to everyone who likes to visit Poland and wants to learn more about Poland!
on 13 September 2013
This edition is getting on a bit, so recommendations for restaurants, hotels and so on may be inaccurate, and prices are way out. However for history, architecture etc., it's a superb introduction to this fascinating country.
on 19 March 2012
Excellent - arrived promptly and is very good quality. I would have no problems in recommending this item and this service to other buyers. This book was mt Bible when I toured the country last year and I found virtually ALL the information accurate to a tee!
on 28 August 2011
The Rough Guide to Poland is interesting and readable as well as very informative. I used it to visit an area bounded by Krakow to the north and the Tatra Mountains to the south and would recommend it if you are visiting that region, or Poland more widely.
on 16 August 2011
This is an excellent thorough guide to Poland, you will find everything you need in this. It gives you all the best places to go along with the history of it. It also highlights accomodation and restauents. Easy to read and follow, it also provides detailed maps of the areas.
on 19 August 2011
A very comprehensive and useful guide covering the basics that one need to prepare for a visit.
It also covers different parts of the country describing architecture and history of places.
Highly recommended
on 3 June 2015
Be very careful. The content is fine - BUT it's now six years out of date. In a country developing as quickly as Poland that's a very long time. So whilst the historical and cultural background is mostly still good, anything to do with accommodation and food or, to a lesser extent with travel, is the first cousin to useless. One example - a museum in Zakopane is described as being "all in Polish": not entirely so now, given that there's a leaflet available in English that sets out the basics very well. If you accepted the "guide" as authoritative, you might not bother.
on 13 August 2010
The content for this book was great. I found helful description and ideas for activity. I used reccomedations for restaurants that turned out to be winners. I do find that this type of guide to be limited. I always supplement with Eyewitness guides for more pics and better color maps.