on 28 December 2007
OK, I love Rough Guides and always have done. But even allowing for this obvious bias this really is a superb book.

All of the usual information is there; the best places to see & do; how to get around by public & private transport; maps of major towns/cities; a v useful guide to (delicious) Keralan food & drink; local customs etc. You would expect this from a guide book, of course, but Rough Guides does this better than anyone else, and 'Kerala' is no exception.

The excellent 'Contexts' section, which fills in the history of this unique, fascinating, beautiful Indian state; and the feature 'text boxes' of a particular aspect of Keralan culture allow for a good understanding of the state, essential when you've passed the umpteenth poster of Lenin. All this is written in the usual crisp, concise manner, which helps keep the length of the book to an ergonomic 351 pages.

Most useful were the accommodation listings. If, as it was for us, the plan is to stay at one place for a night or two and move on, this guide is a godsend.

It lists, in exacting detail, hundreds of places of varying quality and expense. Read carefully and you will be rewarded.

Thanks to the guide we were able to stay (at exceptionally reasonable rates) in a lakeside resort, a surprisingly comfortable YMCA, a Raj mansion, a homestay in the jungle, and an outrageously good value government hotel.

Not aimed at cruse liner parties or package holidaymakers for sure, but if you want to make the most of your time in Kerala, you need this book.
on 24 March 2010
It seems that your either a Lonely Planet person or a Rough Guide person. I'm ususally for the LP but didn't fancy carrying the full LP India so chose this. The only thing I don't like with the RGs is grouping the accommodation into categories. I like the LP style of actually knowing the prices of things, not just a ball-park figure. The book has everything you need in and is more holiday-friendly than the big LP. Overall I'm happy with it.
on 13 February 2011
Travelling to Kerala as a single woman with a young child, this book was able to offer me loads of really good advice prior to departure. I'd never heard of the 'right hand rule' for example! It was also reassuring to find some of the hotels I'd chosen were actually in RG's recommended hotels.
On the whole, I felt much more confidant knowing I had this to refer to if I got stuck. Invaluable!
on 27 August 2010
Just what we needed. Ended up doing my own research on trip advisor for the hotels but also used this book. Only one available purely for Kerala so a must have if you're heading there.
on 26 November 2013
Just back from two weeks in Kerala. Book useful even in Kindle format, but was reading on 10" tablet. Already had 'Rough Guide to India' but downloaded 'Kerala' too while there. Similar but not identical. Format of maps sometimes better jn 'India', but mostly used 'Kerala'. Prices and some places to stay may have changed slightly but even 3 years on found many recommendations still valid.
on 12 September 2013
As we were only visiting kerala in India, this guidebook was much more handy than a huge India book. Concise, informative and full of good tips, to complement the internet
on 3 September 2014
If you buy in old fashioned book form it is probably alright. I learned a thing or two from it that helped me get to know and understand my Keralan friends better.
on 28 January 2013
Great little guide to a beautiful part of the world. Just the right size to keep in a bag or rucksack and gives sufficient information for the traveller to make informed decisions about a destination/accommodation/attraction etc. Read before you go, take it with you and enjoy Kerala, it really is "God's own country" as the locals will tell you.
on 3 July 2014
Ok but a bit dated, ended up looking for restaurants that didn't exist!
on 2 April 2014
This seems a very comprehensive books and addressed some of my questions re Kerala. Lots of useful background info. The only reason I didn't give it 5 star rating is that I haven't been to Kerala yet, but the book certainly 'fired' my enthusiasm.