Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 2 April 2014
9 times out 10, I find the Lonely Planet version of a particular city or country guide to be to my preference. However, in this instance, the Rough Guide version is a much better choice.

I have the latest Lonely Planet Berlin Guide and it's layout is not as straightforward or easy to use as this one. Here, everything flows as it should really, there's a chapter on a particular district and within that there's the sub-sections on 'Sights', 'Accomodation', 'Restaurants', etc. Lonely Planet has the Restaurants all lumped together at the back of the back, and it's certainly not as conducive for ease of reference.

The maps here, the ones that I used, are spot-on. They are useful in determining distances because I was able to walk to places based on seeing the map, whereas elsewhere I was being advised that I had to get a bus, etc! They also covered the district where I was based more in detail than Lonely Planet did. Heading out of the centre, the maps of Grunewald, Wannsee and Potsdam are very helpful too.

If I was heading to Berlin for a trip, then I'd definitely go for this. It's the most up-to-date (at the current time of writing) but it would mainly be for the reason of its simplistic layout yet holding great detail and tips.
on 4 April 2014
Berlin is an ever evolving city and its also one of the most interesting cities in the world. Having lived in Berlin whilst the wall was up, I remember everything that happened when we crossed over to the east or even when we were travelling out of Berlin. But now all that has changed and where the wall once stood is now a metropolis of new, steely buildings and shiny new displays.

The Rough Guide to Berlin covers everything - how to get here, what to see, what to do if you have kids, where to stay and even a condensed history section. It really does have everything you need in one book.

The maps are really good and the pictures are clear. I'm going back to Berlin with this book in hand because there is so much to see and I wouldn't know where to start without this book.
on 30 May 2015
When going to Berlin earlier this year, I got three books: this one, the DK Eyewitness and the Lonely Planet. This was one of the two of them I actually took there and was a good second choice.

The 'in context' sections are very good, before and during the trip, and although there are fewer places mentioned than in the LP guide, they're often in more detail.

No pull out map though, and the maps you actually want are scattered through the book. So while it was helpful in sorting out what to do, it was the LP guide and the DK map that actually went out with us each day.
on 2 August 2014
Bang up to date, great maps and accurate recommendations for bars, culture, cuisine and getting around - guide books don't come any better than this. Whether you want to pack in every experience possible or simply lose a lot of time in Berlin, the Rough Guide is your best friend.
This 310-page book - the 12th (print) edition of March 2014 - is an interesting and readable (the two are not always found together) guide to the capital city of Germany. Unlike many guides, this is not a glossy booklet dotted with colourful photographs to make it look superficially attractive, but a (literally) rough guide in terms of comparative paper finishes, but well-designed and presented, with readable text, useful maps, and (well-chosen) photographs only where space allowed. The excellent design and layout means that you don’t need unnecessary spot illustrations to break up column after column of small-printed data.

The Contents are
P004: Introduction (Where to go, when to go, what to see etc.)
P018: Basics (travel, transport, & other touristy stuff)
P034: The Guide (with eleven sub-sections on the districts of the city and surroundings)
P176: Listings (with seven sub-sections, including accommodation, eating & drinking, nightlife, arts, etc.)
P244: Contexts (history, articles, etc.)
P281: Language guide
P288: Index
on 1 February 2016
Definitely up to the Rough Guide standard. Sadly, nothing at all on Gatow. During my time at RAF Gatow during the late fifties and early sixties the station was best known to the guys serving there as a source of Sigint intelligence for its masters at GCHQ. The Cold War was at its height!
I have scoured the Rough Guide and can't find even a mention - perhaps I haven't scoured enough!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2015
Great book. Everything you need to know for a trip to Berlin. Too much information about individual works of art Which I just skipped but apart from that it was up to date with all the information regarding transport and places to visit. I have just came back from Berlin last week and this book was a mine of information. Worth the money.
on 26 March 2016
Fantastic guide, gives you neighbourhood by neighbourhood breakdown of what to do, see, eat and drink. Really good to just go through, take all the suggestions, plonk them as saved places in your google maps and just go exploring sans-data! I would add suggestions for The Bird in Prenzlauer-Berg. Get on it
on 22 July 2014
Very handy book for our short trip to Berlin. Found some lovely places to eat. Visited more with the aid of the book.
on 10 February 2016
From a quick look through this Berlin guide , as ever with rough guides , it looks good