on 20 August 2006
First baby has yet to arrive but already I feel much better about the prospect of being a parent. Have started reading a couple of other baby books, but this has been the only one that sounds as though it was written for me rather than a stepford wife.

The style of writing and the chapters make this very, very accessible - great for picking up in a spare 10 minutes for a chuckle and to learn something new. It is full of interesting information and facts, such as how to easily swaddle a baby, which I'm sure will come in handy. This is definately coming to the maternity ward with me.
on 7 July 2006
If you liked the Rough Guide to Pregnancy (and even if you didn't) this is a great book. It's down to earth and real, and unlike loads of the baby books out there, geared for a UK market. Plus there are funny and reassuring reviews of all the other baby 'gurus' eg) Gina Ford, and stories from loads of real mothers and what they went through. More than anything else, it made me feel normal.
on 22 August 2006
I loved the tone which was supportive without being patronising, was sympathetic and at the same time very amusing. I felt like it tried to be unbiased and was good in helping me not to panic about the things that new mums panic about.
on 28 September 2006
I was intending to buy this book for a friend who is about to have her first baby. I have just had my third baby, and how I wish I had this book when I was having my first. It's funny and lighthearted (some books are so serious and prescriptive that they are in danger of taking all the joy and instinct out of mothering a new baby) and yet it's informative and comprehensive. I liked reading the experiences of real parents and the views of real professionals. The book definitely doesn't treat you as if birth has left your one remaining brain cell addled by hormones! In fact I found it so useful in reminding me of all the things I had forgotten, and telling me things I didn't know, that I'm going to get a copy of my own.
on 30 April 2008
I thought this was a good book - VERY easy to read and worked it's way through the chapters well. It certainly helped set the foundations for the early days of parenthood, although I don't feel it's the kind of book that I'll have lying around to use as a reference tool once the bundle of joy arrives. It has definitely made me feel a lot calmer about the whole thing and I'd recommend it to anybody as an excellent starting point.
on 3 January 2010
I've had this book for 10 months (my daughter is now 8 months old) and still refer to it quite often. A wonderfully written book which covers all necessary areas in child rearing. It is easy to read, does not give prescriptions but rather explains all alternatives and leaves the choice to the mother. I found this very helpful - most of the other baby books I read are rather annoying as the authors tend to think there is only one "correct" way - "their" way.
I already bought this book for a friend of mine who is expecting a baby and am planning a third purchase for another friend.
on 13 June 2009
I bought this book and also the rough guide to pregnancy & birth after reading reviews on Amazon. As we are quite a laid back unflappable couple, the patronizing set in stone ways of some current books did nothing but make us wonder if we should ditch our humour & lust for life. These 2 books provided many hours interesting reading, laughs & talking points for us both, and my other half swapped his much loved little boys room reading material (usually something involving Campers) for these funny, informative well written guides. They're so easy to dib in and out of, and provide a rounded view of most subjects, leaving it up to you the parent to make choices that will suit your lifestyle and personalities. Good luck to you all, A
on 28 April 2009
This really is a fantastic buy. My husband, who incidentally reads nothing, is constantly checking out this book for tips and information. The information is presented in a clear and concise way, telling you exactly what you need to know without preaching. It is a reassuring read as there are many things that you are not sure of when you are a first time parent. I have now purchased this book for friends when they first have a baby as I have found no other book that is as useful.
on 19 May 2009
As a first time expectant mother I know nothing about babies but didn't want to read all of the literature out there and scare the pants off myself about what I was letting myself in for. This book is fantastic and I am only half way through. A great blend of good practical advice and humour. Highly recommended for both mums and dads and an excellent gift for friends/family who are expecting their first child.
on 26 April 2010
when preparing for the birth of our first baby, we were in need for a good introduction book. We really enjoyed reading the rough guide to babies. It's style is a bith witty, funny and with a good those of laughs, which helps passing some more difficult messages. Also it helped us put clear some things, making them easier to understand. For example: why does a baby cry? well because it's the only way it can communicate. This may seem logical to most people, but for a new parent is comforting that not all cries are a need for panic but might just be because of simple reasons as hunger or need for sleep.

Remark: the book is clearly written for the UK, making some parts not relevant to people living outside the UK. But in all, a baby is a baby, in or outside of the UK, so 90% of the book is universal.