Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Sep 2012 12:27:52 BDT
shades316 says:
Does this tablet come pre rooted?

If not are there instructions anywhere to root?

thanks

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 16:45:37 BDT
Mr. R. Ullah says:
Hi Daniel,

Yes, as I understand it, all ployer tablets come rooted out of the box.

Regards

Riaz

Posted on 20 Sep 2012 17:29:32 BDT
Gary Reid says:
Hi Daniel,

Gary from GTR Electronics here, just to confirm Riaz's statement the Momo8 IPS is indeed rooted.

All the best
Gary
GTR Electronics

Posted on 26 Sep 2012 22:25:40 BDT
shades316 says:
Hi Gary,

My tablet has arrived! Many thanks.... however it does not appear to be rooted. Have tried installing a few apps which use root; Titanium Backup, AdAway etc, all of which say that the device does not have root access. Also installed a root checker app, which said the same.

Do you have any instructions on how to root this device?

regards
Dan

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 06:26:57 BDT
Gary Reid says:
Morning Dan,

I'm afraid I don't. Have you tried just downloading the APK files direct from the internet rather than using Google Play, this should work?

Regards
Gary
GTR Electronics

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2012 12:27:41 BDT
Last edited by the author on 28 Sep 2012 18:51:44 BDT
S. Winter says:
The tablet doesn't appear to come pre-rooted - I'm having the same problem. If you have any luck please share!

*** Update ***
Just got mine rooted - Go to http://flexion.org for instructions on how to root the Momo8 IPS

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 11:52:54 BDT
shades316 says:
Hi S.Winter,

I too managed to root using similar methods. Was a bit worried as most instructions are in Chinese, but thanks to Google Translate I managed to get it done!! Have installed Titanium Backup and SuperSU and all is well. All apps restored fine.

Other than the fact the Tablet did not come rooted, I am very happy with this device.

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 13:02:20 BDT
SJC says:
Seems to be some contradicting re Pre-Rooting ... I like others would probably prefer the Momo8 IPS to be rooted before arriving ... assume the only tablets that arrive pre-rooted are those from Gary @ GTR (as he supresses the chinese apps before posting) ?

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 13:35:32 BDT
Damian says:
Hi SJC,

I ordered by MOMO8 IPS from GTR Electronics and it was not rooted, so I don't think Gary is shipping pre-rooted devices either.

I am trying to root the tablet at the moment following Flexion.org's excellent instructions. Unfortunately I am having problems installing the drivers using Moborobo which I think is due to my 64-bit Windows 7 machine, so I am just reviving an old 32-bit Window XP laptop in order to try it on that.

Damian

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 14:23:06 BDT
Last edited by the author on 30 Sep 2012 14:25:40 BDT
SJC says:
To be honest if I was to buy any tablet I really dont want to be mucking around trying to find out how to "root" my device when I am not comfortable with "behind the scenes" stuff. If I had to choose between two suppliers who sold the same product, gave equally good after sales service but only one of them went the extra mile and "rooted" it for me I know who I would buy from. Does anyone know why Gary's IPS versions are now not rooted like the previous Bird was ? - was it a mistake by Ployer before shipping to Gary (unaware until now) or does GTR do it on arrival in the UK and just accidently forgot to do your one due to volumes that day ?

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 15:44:45 BDT
Damian says:
SJC,

The MOMO8 Bird shipped as rooted. The MOMO8 IPS has a different specification and a different version of Android, which it appears Ployer has decided to ship as un-rooted.

Having owned several Android devices over the past couple of years, they have all shipped as un-rooted (with the exception of the MOMO8 Bird) so Ployer is not doing anything unusual in shipping the MOMO8 IPS as un-rooted. I think this is a good thing as it shows that Ployer is aiming the product at the broader consumer market by locking down Android more tightly just as Samsung, Sony, HTC, Asus and the other big brands do with their devices in order to protect the user experience.

I would argue that rooting the device should only be done by more technically minded users who are savvy enough to understand and mitigate the risks of rooting the device which can include 'bricking' the unit, exposing it to virus exploits and reducing the device's performance by damaging key operating system files and parameters. Whilst there are benefits of having a rooted device, for most non-technical users these a minimal at best, therefore it is better to remove the risks of a rooted device by locking it down as Ployer have done with the MOMO8 IPS.

Damian

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 16:07:07 BDT
SJC says:
@ Damian ... I guess my question should be ...

1) If I dont root my tablet what essential things can't i do ?
- Is rooting primarily used by techies / developers to download more non-std useful apps that havent been approved by the maker of the device ?

2) If I dont root will I have useless chinese apps on my tablet ? (even if bought from Gary @ GTR)

Posted on 30 Sep 2012 19:54:56 BDT
conygar says:
@ sjc I wouldn't even consider rooting my device because a) I don't consider myself technical enough to understand it all b) certainly in rooting smartphones people are warned about nullifying the warranty and I don't want to do that and finally c) there is the risk of killing the thing - called "bricking it".

I would love to know what is gained though as I am ever the curious. I do know that many techie people have rooted a smartphone and gained more memory but for what other reason I am not aware.

The chinese apps are still on the tablet but Gary has disabled them. If you want to see what they are then go to Settings\Apps and then scroll across to see "All". All the Chinese ones are right at the bottom of the lsit.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Oct 2012 14:16:13 BDT
S. Winter says:
Hi Damian,

I had issues using Moborobo on my Vista 64-bit machine. In the end I used PDAnet on a windows XP virtual machine. Instructions for installing PDAnet are here - http://www.topnotchtablets.com/installADBdriver. PDAnet is available for 32 and 64 bit installs. I didn't try the 64-bit version but I would have thought it would be okay.

Simon

Posted on 1 Oct 2012 14:34:54 BDT
Damian says:
Hi Simon,

Many thanks for the suggestion. In the end I was able to user SuperOneClick to install the necessary driver which allowed me to use ZhuoDaShi to root the device.

Damian

Posted on 1 Oct 2012 16:49:11 BDT
shades316 says:
A couple of advantages to rooting.

1. I can use Titanium Backup to backup\restore all apps, accounts, wifi access points, remove bloatware etc.
2. I can use the AdAway app to prevent all ads on websites and within apps.

Rooting is not for everyone, and I could live with not rooting this tab. However I have rooted my phone and regularly try out different ROMs\Firmware so for this tab I thought, why not!

Posted on 2 Oct 2012 17:56:42 BDT
SJC says:
@ Daniel ... I assume that there are no Apps like Titanium Backup or AdAway that are on Google Play that all do the same thing on a non-rooted tablet ?

Posted on 27 Oct 2012 17:57:44 BDT
Mr. J. Brand says:
I read somewhere that Google Play does'nt allow rooted androids on security grounds.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Nov 2012 13:40:04 GMT
julesjpd says:
So tell me, what is the secret to rooting the MOMO8 IPS?

Posted on 2 Nov 2012 13:05:26 GMT
shades316 says:
Here are the basic steps to getting root on the Momo8 IPS.

Enable USB Debugging on the Momo8 IPS - Settings -> Developer Options
Find a Windows computer.
Download and install Momorobo 2.0.2.290.
Start Moborobo and connect the Momo8 IPS to the Windows computer. Wait for Moborobo to establish a connection to the tablet.
Download and install ZhuoDaShi 2.2.9. (Google it)
Start ZhuoDaShi. It is a Chinese language application only, so this is somewhat tricky.
Wait for ZhuoDaShi connect to your Momo8 IPS.
Click the highlighted text that includes the word ROOT among some Chinese text then click on the big ROOT button.
After a short while you should see some Chinese text in green. Click the large button.
You should now have root and the SuperSU app will be listed in your apps.
Install Root Checker on the Momo8 IPS to ensure you have root.
Once satisfied you have root (I ran Titanium Backup to be absolutely sure) you can uninstall the Momorobo daemon and ZhuoDaShi app the from your Momo8 IPS.
The version of SuperSU installed by ZhuoDaShi is quite old and can't be updated via the Google Play Store. To remedy this do the following.
Under SuperSU -> Settings select Switch superuser app
Now open Google Play Store and install SuperSU.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Nov 2012 18:11:04 GMT
Boss says:
Thanks shades!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0xa0bd16c0)

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Ployer Momo8 IPS Tablet PC - 8 Inch Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean), IPS SCREEN; BLUETOOTH; WIFI; ROCKCHIP RK3066 DUAL CORE - 2 X CORTEX A9; QUAD GPU - IPS 1024 x 768 Capacitive 5 Point Touch Screen, 16GB Storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, Ultra Thin 8.9mm design with Metal Rear - HDMI & 3D Output - New Google Play Installed - 1.3MP Front Facing Camera - Flash 11.1 Pre-Installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible
Ployer Momo8 IPS Tablet PC - 8 Inch Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean), IPS SCREEN; BLUETOOTH; WIFI; ROCKCHIP RK3066 DUAL CORE - 2 X CORTEX A9; QUAD GPU - IPS 1024 x 768 Capacitive 5 Point Touch Screen, 16GB Storage, 1GB DDR3 Memory, Ultra Thin 8.9mm design with Metal Rear - HDMI & 3D Output - New Google Play Installed - 1.3MP Front Facing Camera - Flash 11.1 Pre-Installed - All iPlayers and Flash Content Compatible
3.6 out of 5 stars   (241)