For the first day the torch worked as expected. Give it a shake, turn it on, hey presto, light out one end. It feels cheap but then it is cheap, so I can't complain there.
But after only a day or two it started to grow dim, emitting a feeble glow that wouldn't trouble your average glow-in-the-dark sticker. It now emits brighter light only for the duration you shake it, and because you REALLY have to shake it, it's no use fumbling around sharp objects in a dark garage or trying to make your way across an unlit room holding a glass of water.
So, basically, forget it. Getting something German made and old school battery powered. It's not like LEDs chew through batteries anyway, is it.