on 21 February 2012
Hi,

I bought this to trim down my speakers wires and it does and perfect job every time.

I have tested this on Van Damme cables 2.5mm 0.75mm and 1.5mm and its a perfect cut every time.

the build quality is solid and sturdy, to think AV websites sell product that do the same for around £50 this is a bargain.

Thanks
on 21 June 2011
This is easily the best wire stripper I have used. It is the fully mechanical design which grips and strips in one smooth movement as you squeeze the handle. There are several notches for various wire sizes and it strips even the finest wires without pinching off any of the inner wire strands. Build quality and packaging are faultless. Highly recommended
on 3 August 2013
I had used an almost identical tool for decades (literally) but lost it - this was bought to replace it. Initial impressions were good - until I tried to use it when it wouldn't work at all. The problem turned out to be that (among others) the main hinge screw was so loose that the spring was not anchored. Once I had fixed this (and tightened up the other loose screws) it worked just like the old one. Fundamentally an excellent tool - but quality control seems non-existent.
on 11 June 2012
I have had tools from Rolson in the past, and knowing they are good value for money, I decided to get these.

It's a good pair of strips, and makes my life so much easier than when I used to go round with a pair of clapped out electricians pliers! The grips are good on them, The blades are very sharp, and the mechanism grabs a good hold of the wire before stripping it.

My only moan would be that occasionally they get stuck, as the cutting surface is flush against the frame. This isn't really a problem for me as I have loads of WD40 to hand, but bear this in mind as it might just be the minor source of frustration I sometimes have working up a 10ft ladder!

Generally a good tool, and I can't complain as their very easy to use and good value.
on 7 January 2014
I bought this after reading all the 5 start reviews and ignoring the 1 stars... That was a bad choice. The wire stripper worked for 2 cuts of a 1mm cable, then the mechanism that grabs the cable got bent backwards and the tool stopped working.

I guess if you use it for flimsy and small cables this will work, but as a real wire stripper, this does not do the job, a waste of time and I had to end my work with the always trusty pliers.
on 1 June 2011
Well made piece of kit. Solid in operation and gives a smooth wire strip. There are no instructions with it though, so you have to figure out how the stripping length adjuster fits and how it works. Took me about five minutes. See if you can beat that! Tip: Put a couple of washers under the head of the adjuster screw when you've worked out how it fits, otherwise it will bottom out on the lower stripper plate. I emailed Rolson but no response. Overall: A few niggles but thoroughly recommended.
on 23 December 2010
What a handy, well made, tool.
The time saved with a complete rewire of my classic car paid for the tool.
Wish I had had one of these years ago,
fiddling with a knife or wire cutters is now a thing of the past
Well worth the money.
on 1 March 2014
Managed to use it for stripping about 6 pieces of 1.5mm T&E before it jammed up and it's now been thrown to the back of the tool box. Complete garbage - I strongly advise against buying it.
on 21 January 2014
I had some multi-core to strip back, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade from an old automatic stripper (the one that looks a bit like a T-Rex).
The one I received is undoubtedly well made, rugged and strips wire, but, it's a bit fiddly to use - you can't just strip, strip, strip. It's - position in the right slot, strip, position in the right slot, strip- so if you have a lot of cables to do, it becomes tedious. On top of that, I'm left handed and the depth guide obstructs my view when I offer the cable up, so I ditched that almost immediately. I also miss the integrated cutter of the old one.
Like I say, it's well made and strips your cable, but I'm sure my hand is going to grab the battered and chipped one next time I open the toolbox.
on 16 March 2016
These are wire strippers I now do not have to strip wires with my teeth or a cutting knife. They require little effort to operate and you can strip as much of the sheath off as you like. I used these for a rewire on an electric fireplace that require a new transformer and these worked great on all the different wire sizes making the job go with a breeze. They feel like they will last me a long while which is great for such a bargain price. If your an occasional repair guy or gal I would highly recommend these against buying the other higher priced strippers available as these do exactly the same.