on 31 May 2008
How anyone can copmpare this to Wii sports is beyond me. This is much better, with more control and representing a real challenge. Equally, this is no gym replacement! LOL

The best thing to do is to dive straight into the tournaments. It took me a while to get used to the controls, and not without frustration. But after a while they become second nature; then the fun really starts.

The key to this game is to watch the other player - as you would in real life. Their stance before they strike gives a lot of info about the speed and direction they will shoot. It's a nice, realiistic touch, but it's most immediate use is to cope with the control lag. Although I use the Control Freak configuration, it is primarily the early timing of your swing, rather than player's position that determines success. Unfortunately, this can lead to some mechanical play during the longer (and often very enjoyable) rallies.

I experimented with holding the Wii remote like a pen, as a professional might hold his bat. That would appear to offer the most realistic sense of control, but I usually revert to a normal hold when the action is getting high. My laziness perhaps?

My verdict is - very good game - funa nd addictive, but ultimately not challenging enough.

I would like to see a sequel with online mode and more intuitive controls (i.e. bat-wielding). The rest is just fluff reallly - gameplay is king here.

And yeah - the loading times are a bit ridiculous.
on 3 January 2008
Wasnt sure what to expect when I brought this but turns out to be a cracking game (Simular speed to wii tennis but with the added bonus of spin, the game is easy to pick up and challenging at the same time.

A little limited character wise (would be nice to make your own) but looking past that is realistic. You need to swing a little early to keep in the rally.

I purchased the table tennis bat add on to go with this and was very dissapointed as it didnt work. Stick to the remote and enjoy a fast game of pingpong
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2007
If you are right-handed then please read the other reviews. However, for us southpaws this game lacks a single left-handed player, which renders this game pretty much redundant, unless you are willing to take on the (unrealistic) challenge.

This seems to be a major flaw in many Wii games that require or rely on specific single handed use and Table Tennis is no different.

So, I'm giving this 3 stars as the game is actually very good (apparently!) but I am forced to sell it and revert back to Wii Sports tennis.

Don't buy this game if you are a lefty and want an accurate sim.
33 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 October 2007
When you think of a Rockstar game, two players knocking a little plastic ball back and forth isn't exactly what first springs to mind.

This is certainly a departure from the company's famous Grand Theft Auto titles, but in many ways it is equally as enjoyable - and it is certainly the perfect type of game for the Wii.

You need to be more exact with the controls than in Wii Sports tennis, but after a few games you will be firing a few vicious top spin forehands past your opponent.

For a more in depth challenge, you can attach the nunchuck to the Wii remote and move your player about manually. Otherwise, as in Wii Sports, your character will position himself automatically.

There are a number of tournaments you can compete in, but picking up an exhibition game is just as fun and challenging.

The control system requires a little bit of practise and skill, without being overly complex and, as with all good Wii games, its addictiveness is very high.

With a number of Wii games failing to take advantage of the console's plus points, Table Tennis is a very welcome addition to the stable of titles available.
on 28 February 2008
I am an above-average table tennis player myself. I know it is hard to make a good video game on table tennis, but this one is really exceptional. I used the sharp shooter control mode and quickly got "hooked" to the game. I did not read the manual in detail. I just used my common sense and it worked ! The opponents' gesture told you what they're going to do and I just returned the ball to the other side. I am very happy because I think this is exactly what the players want: we play table tennis in this way in real life, and it works again in the video game ! I beated the all-stars tournament in a few days' time. But the game has replay value since I can choose many different characters. I would recommend this game to anyone who loves table tennis.
on 18 October 2007
Well this game as soon as I started look terible. How ever once in gameplay, and once I got the hang of the controls this can be fun. Multi-player is really enjoyable and the controls are great!
Your arm does start to hurt after a while but it well worth it! If you like table tennis that is!
VINE VOICEon 20 October 2007
There hasnt been a decent game on wii for a good while, and ive just about had enough of these pathetic excuses that develpers have the nerve to call games...lets forget FIFA 08, Chicken Shoot, Red Steel....the list goes on.

Now its now near the end of october and things are going to pick up, with metroid prime 3 just less than a week away and mario galaxy heading up the rear we can finally dust off those wii remotes and start playing what the wii was designed for; Triple A standard games.

This game is a fine example of what the wii is capable of, fantastic controls. You play a one of many players from different nations on a variety of different tables and done with a fine level of finesse.

Strongly recommended.
on 20 November 2011
After reaching the 2500 limit on Sport Resort I was looking for a higher level of play. The reviews of this game seemed all positive but I'm sorry, I found this game awful.I found the graphics too dark but more importantly I found the play movements awkward and they didn't feel normal at all. When I played the Sports Resort table tennis I could serve, slice, backhand and forehand in a more natural way. With this game you had to move from bottom left to top right to send the ball in that direction, with S.R. you could do that with a flick of the wrist.Also, you couldn't use a bat with the controller as it seemed to block the sensor, a bit disappointing to say the least. Maybe a 2011 version would be better but I would think twice before buying it.
on 6 April 2008
I was orinally warned off this game from some freinds as they found it too difficult. Strangely, I found it completely the opposite and picked up it very quickly. I'd won most of the tournaments in a couple of days...? Very enjoyable all the same and it certainly works up a sweat on the harder matches. Good fun, but won't have anything like the same last-a-bility as the tennis on Wii sports.
on 3 July 2009
If you own a Wii you must get this game, utilises the motion sensor to its fullest potential. Bags of fun!