Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 February 2012
In many ways, this book would merit 5 stars, but it falls a bit short in the literary sense. I wanted to read a book that would serve to put Mark Gardiner`s excellent Riding Man in perspective. I needed to read something by/about a rider with great natural talent, that took a seat-of-the-pants approach to racing. Exactly the case of Rocket Ron. The book is written in a pleasant, direct manner, and Ron strikes the right balance in being proud of his achievements, confident in his ability without coming across as conceited. Towards the end, we get treated to an account of Ron`s son Leon`s career so far. This is where the book`s editing gets a little strange, as Ron recounts some incident or other, and then, to give us a different perspective, has Leon write a few pages or so so that we get his version, straight from the horse`s mouth. It works, but it`s a bit bizarre, particularly as the first 80% of the book is very much a first hand account, without people chipping with their views. I enjoyed it very much, however, and highly recommend it to anyone who`s interested in motorbike racing.
on 3 February 2014
I enjoyed this book which interestingly tells the story behind all the Haslam clan.
Although I know of Ron and Leon Haslam I wasn't aware of his two Brothers, Phil and "Babe", who both sadly died in motorcycle racing accidents whilst Ron was young - you have to admire him for his resilience in the face of adversity!
on 30 January 2009
A great read from start to finish.This book really puts into perspective the hard slog that Ron had to go through to reach the top,compared to some of the pampered sportsmen of today. He graphicly tells of the many lows that would have stopped a lesser man. The young chip off the old block has his say as well. A FIRST CLASS READ AND HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on 7 June 2009
My husband recieved this book as a wedding anniversary present. He said it was 5 star rating if you are a biker. He read it in 3 days., but he does that with all good books he enjoys.
on 23 November 2010
As a race fan I always get a rider biography to take on holiday.
I watched Ron race for years and admired him a a racer but knew little of his life before the limelight.
Growing up in a similar area at a similar time brought back childhood memories but 10 times worse than me :-)
He did not have an easy life, but was focus and worked hard and deserved all he got and gets in the future.
Not a lot about the Pocket Rocket in there but that's not why I bought it.

After reading this he is a hero all over again.

Great read, I have read many rider stories and this is up there with the best.

The only annoying thing is he is 3 years older than me and still looks good.
on 21 October 2012
Now I'm not a regular reader and don't pretend to be. Having not long read Valentino rossi's autobiography, I decided to read another book and as I'm a haslam jnr fan I thought I'd give it a go.

I was not disappointed, this is a very true account of a mans love for family and bikes. I have read this book in just over a week as it gripped me from the off, He has raced along side some the the greatest racers that have live and we have lost from Sheen to Rainey and the TT legend mr Dunlop. His tales of what went on in the bike world and paddock will have you smiling as well as feeling great sorrow.

I've never wrote a review before but trust me when I say this is a great book and well worth a read.

Please excuse the bad grammar and anything else that may be wrong with the review.
on 21 April 2012
A very down to earth, honest book.
Ron tells his history well and shows the realities of what bike racing at all levels is all about.
Having been brought up approx 10 miles from where the Haslams reside, and being a similar age to Ron, I can relate all too clearly to some of the stories from Ron's early life as a young man.
Thoroughly recommended as a read, not just for the motorcycle stuff, but also as a piece of modern history of somebody growing up in the East Midlands.
on 12 December 2008
What an early family life ! absolute mayhem, madness and madcap which then drove Ron and Leon to their achievements. A good, detailed and easy read, but also so descriptive I felt every crash.....Tremendous..
on 27 February 2009
Grand book very good read, i have met Ron and lived in the area so a lot of facts for me brilliant.
on 2 October 2009
This book clearly shows what a tough up-bringing Ron had, yet despite this, [and losing two brothers to racing accidents],still raced against some of the worlds best riders in Grand Prix 500's.
His massive experience with setting up and developing various types of machinery, is now being passed on to his son Leon.
Would have liked to read more about his experiences in Grand Prix and his times with Mal Carter but never the less, still a good book.