Robyn has a lot to live up to, a certain Mr. Nigel Tranter, no less...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 18 Aug 2010 11:34:05 BDT
Ronald Boyd says:
I read Robyn's Templar Knight trilogy, and ultimately enjoyed it very much, though it took me a while to get into her overly-descriptive writing style.

But I look forward very, very much to reading her books on Robert I of Scotland - though she has an awful lot to live up to, given the great (and missed) Nigel Tranter's magnifiscent Bruce Trilogy.

Time will tell, meantime I am delighted to see some Scotland-based historical fiction, these days Scotlands long and glorious history is sadly ignored in favour of endless novels about Romans...

Good luck Robyn, hope this is a belter of a book!

In reply to an earlier post on 21 Oct 2010 22:47:17 BDT
mick says:
i agree, but i would like to see more novels about the welsh history, as it was just as bloody and violent as scotlands history, probably more so in the medieval times...ie king edward etc.

Posted on 30 Nov 2011 23:18:10 GMT
Les Ellis says:
I was looking forward to reading this book, but I must say I was a little disappointed, particularly at the nonsense sub-plot of the Dragon Knights and Merlin Prophecies and putting Robert at the stealing of the Stone of Destiny (as if the English wouldn't have published and exploited that widely to undermine him - there were spin doctors in those days as well!!!). The book really came alive when she stuck to real events.
My heart really sank at the ending as it looked like we were in for more sub-plot nonsense in the next sequel.
I also really object to changing the historical record. I don't think that apologies or explanations at the end, make up for it.
Having said that, the battles were very well described, Robert's dilemmas were well explained, and I did at least read to the end.
Nigel Tranter's novels were far superior though.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  18 Aug 2010
Latest post:  30 Nov 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy)
Insurrection (Insurrection Trilogy) by Robyn Young (Hardcover - 14 Oct 2010)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (100)