I, Robot (Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray + DVD)
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:£5.09+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

I bought this having owned the DVD and thought it would be a film that would benefit from the advantages of HD. I'm not disappointed, thankfully. The picture is stunning.

As for the film, I think it's one of Will Smith's best yet often underated. Sure, it's no Oscar winner but as a quick fix of stunning special effects with a decent storyline it more than fits the bill. Enjoy!
on 1 February 2010
For a film made and put out on disc before the launch of Blu-Ray, this is a stunning A/V feast. Perhaps a few of the long shots are not quite at reference level (e.g. some of the scrolling skyscraper shots so beloved on BD test discs) but almost everything else is! Close-ups of Will Smith awaking from his recurring nightmare are stunning in their depth and plasticity. The film features great, natural colours and superb contrasts. I can't recall any intrusive grain, and yet there isn't a hint of DNR.

But the film's strongest suit is sound. The 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio is absolute solid-gold reference standard. To paraphrase Will Smith's great line "somehow 'bombastic' just doesn't quite say it". The LFE effects in the tunnel confrontation are unbelievably visceral and intense. "I, Robot" is also a film full of superbly implemented surround sound, and always offers a perfect balance between dialogue and effects. With a decent sound set-up at home you will probably come as close here to recreating the feeling of being in a cinema as you can imagine.

The film itself is great fun, with Will Smith at maybe his most amusing in a big film role so far. For less than a tenner, this is a real bargain and will be a real credit to your HD telly or projection screen.

Highly recommended.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 28 October 2014
I already owned the 2D version which I enjoyed greatly.
However the motion judder on this 3D version gave me a headache.
Other 3D films like 'Star Trek out of darkness 3D' did not have this problem: They had natural motion blur instead.
( I compared both films on the same night on the same setup to confirm the real difference.)
I found I was able to reduce the problem by changing my Blu-Ray processing to 'video' rather than 'film' mode. This made the judder less coarse.
I don't know if its a result of this product having only one 3D/2D disc in the box, not two. if I'd paid more than £10 for it I.'d send it back
on 22 July 2005
This is probably the best film released in 2004 and definetly the best film Will Smith has ever acted in.
The graphics in this film are astonashing and even though this film is set in the future it still seems to keep realistic.
This special edition version contains mainly a poster and on the disc are a couple of film still gallerys, most of the pictures are in black and white too!
If your looking for a good special edition version then get the ordinary 2-disc version or the great collectors edition (wich is exclusive to this site).
I would still recomend this action packed thriller to anyone who likes action films.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I found this film thoroughly engaging and was supplied with a host of ingenious and clever acting from suprisingly Will Smith. With cutting edge directing from increasing star Alex Proyas and a large number of production greats I concur I have some isses to discuss. Why rate it a fifteen just because of a trailer for AVP which sadly was uter garbage with noble respects to Ridley Scott and James Cameron. The marketing industry are losing sales to the younger fans by a higher certificate than its original release. None the less a great adaption of Isaac Asimovs Robot novels that have supplied endless imaginative ideas
on 12 December 2004
I won't lie, having seen the trailer to 'i, Robot', I thought it looked quite frankly rubbish. Shots of camp robots jumping all over a futuristic Audi, that was being piloted by Will Smith didn't fill me with enthusiasm. But I was wrong.
This is a great movie, and not only that, but it was realligned my perception of Will Smith as an actor. The pacing, plot and vision are all top notch, helping to carry the film along at a cracking pace, and Will Smith is excellent as the cynical future cop, engulfed by his paranoia towards the robots that populate society. His trademark quips help to bring some much needed humour to the proceedings, and his physical prowess makes some of the more extreme actions that he undertakes more believable. Special mention also has to be given to Alan Tudyk, who gives an incredibly dynamic performance as Sonny, the lead robot, creating a unique combination of human curiosity and robotic precision.
As has been mentioned, the special effects are great, maybe except for some of the occasionally artificial looking cityscapes, and the NS5 robot designs are fantastic. The action, whilst a tad extreme is nontheless highly enjoyable, breaking up the lengthy dialogue-heavy scenes. The plot, whilst obviously not as complex as the Asimov book, is still competant enough to hold its own against other recent Sci-Fi films such as 'Minority Report'.
So overall, 'i, Robot' gets a big thumbs up in my oppinion, firstly as a great movie and secondly as the first movie I've seen to be better than it's trailer. The only thing I can't understand is why the certificate has been bumped up from a 12 to a 15, as in my view it's suitable for all the family.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 December 2014
I've read a fair amount of SF down the years, but practically no Asimov, for some reason. I thought, then, that I'd be making a review uninfluenced by any considerations of how close the film was (or was not) to the book. Then the closing credits started with "Suggested by the book". Ah. So nothing really to do with the book then, not even "Based on", which is usually a bad enough sign. A quick skim of the more popular reviews here show that, sure enough, the film has very little to do with the book, barring the Three Laws.

Actually, it's still not at all bad. First, let me dispose of the two reasons why I'm not giving this 5*. Number one, Will Smith: it's not that I don't like him, but here he is playing the running, jumping, wise-cracking cop that he played in Men In Black. It's Agent J all over again, the only real difference being that he's in an SF drama instead of an SF comedy. He does it just fine, but there's still an element of "seen it all before" about the performance. Reason number 2 is that Hollywood once again lets SFX get in the way of the story. The main example is the ending. Someone went "Ooo! We can do this really cool climactic fight scene!!" The trouble is, for me, it jars against what was happening with the same participants earlier in the film. It spoils nothing if I tell you that the heroes inevitably win, but the truth is, they ought to have been dead in about 10 seconds. It left me going "Oh dear", rather than "Wow!"

Which is a shame, because the story, even if it has little to do with the book, is actually rather good, and well-handled, too. I'm not going to go into details - I wouldn't want to spoil things for you - but it builds nicely. Within the context of the setting, it's wholly plausible, each "reveal" of the next part of the plot, flashbacks included, feels natural, rather than forced or deus ex machina. The supporting cast do their jobs well, the SFX are classy, the score adds to the ambience as a good score should. It's shame the ending got a bit silly, and that Will Smith couldn't be a bit less J, but I liked it. And like it, as opposed to love it, is the official Amazon description of 4*, as opposed to 5.

It's a decent film. It won't be years before I pull it off the shelf again, for sure!
on 17 November 2013
Everybody in the world relies on a huge system of robots, which are programmed to help humans and not harm them in any way.

But one person doubts this. Del Spooner.

He receives a call from the United States Robotics about a recent death of renowned robot scientist Dr. Alfred J. Laning. Spooner immediately blames this incident on robots without justifiable reason or proof.

He begins his investigation on Lanning's death, only to discover Sonny, a "unique" robot.

What Spooner does not realise, is that something is about to happen. Something that is beyond reason.....

Give Will Smith a decent script, something that doesn't include him spouting inane one liners every minute, like some eighties throwback, and he can do no wrong. This movie is one of the first that shows the audience he doesn't need these tropes to entertain.

And he does, in fact, its his most entertaining film he has featured in, and the script and the tight direction and editing help.

If you can forget the fact that its basically a big advertisement for Apple, Converse, and Audi, you have a very intelligent summer blockbuster, which was quite unique in 2004.

The film is convoluted, and features many plot holes, but when you expect Smith to be in his Bad Boys/MIB mode, and get thrown by the fact that his character has a feasible back-story, and is supported by a wonderful cast and narrative, its hard not to be entertained.

The predictable effects and eye popping moments are there, but it only adds to the overall futuristic feel of the movie.

It's not going to win anything for originality, but its refreshing to see something as fun as this once in a while.
on 16 April 2011
I, Robot is an enjoyable film, and uses as its basis for plot and inspiration, Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics (he wrote a series of novels and short stories about such robots), but it is mostly entertainment-'lite', albeit with some interesting ideas about free will, ethics and prejudice.

Will Smith can be a decent actor, as evidenced by his roles in Ali [DVD] [2002] and Seven Pounds [DVD], but his performance here as robot-hating Detective Spooner - in futuristic-looking 2035, when robots are commonplace - along with most of the other actors' efforts, seems to be phoned in.

On the plus sides, there are several aspects to the film that do merit its purchase by SF fans: the vision of 2035 Chicago looks great, the special effects are - as you'd expect - terrific - and the performances of Alan Tudyk (the voice for the sentient robot, Sonny), and Adrian Ricard, the actress who plays Detective Spooner's granny, are captivating and, even though he's on the screen for no more than a few minutes in total, James Cromwell as Dr. Bruce Lanning, the genius scientist who wrote the 3 Robot Laws and creates the robots, has an appropriately poignant manner in his performance.

And for those who haven't yet read any of Isaac Asimov's Robot series, I can highly recommend his first Robot novel, The Caves of Steel (Robot Series), and its sequel, The Naked Sun (Robot Series), and the collection The Complete Robot (Robot Series), which, though actually not complete, does contain the majority of stories.
on 3 March 2011
As with all these bluray's there are two angels one must cover, the film itself and the quality of the HD upgrade.

Firstly I'll tackle the quality of the bluray transfer, which I can only discribe as perfect. Colours are deep and rich, blacks are deep and true and the level of detail is breath taking.

Now the film, Alex Proyas (Dark City, Knowing) has imaged a futuistic world with great detail for a relativly low budget of $120,000,000 (of which I bet a good chunk went to Smith). Its a world where robots nanny our every whim and we're protected against anything going wrong by the three laws. My problem is with the human charecters, we're led to beleive that Smith's charecter, Det. Del Spooner, is the only person on the planet who doesn't trust the robots and (spoiler alert) all because of an incident years before when a robot chose to save his life, over a girl at the scene of a car crash all because the robot calculated that Smith had a higher percentage of living than the girl. Firstly, I struggle to beleive that in that world there would only be one person who had a problem with the level of trust placed in robots and secondly that the faitful car accident is the worst thing that could happen, even when protected by the three laws. For me, it just doesn't go far enough in explaining his deep mistrust for robots. My other gripe is the robots themselves, I just don't beleive that by 2035, we'll have totally sold out to robots. There would be outcry, they would be taking all the jobs people used to do, making us redundent. The most likely reason robots would be made a safisticated as they are in the film would be for military perposes and even with the three laws hardcoded into the robots, there are alot of cleaver people out there that I'm sure would find a way to get around the three laws.

Its an enjoyable film as long as you can put the holes of the story to one side and Smiths one liners.

TR