on 3 August 2014
This is the book I was looking for. If you're trying to decide on a route from west to east or north to south across the USA this is the only book you will need. Lots of information about what you will see on the route and lots of detour suggestions along the route.
There is about 100 pages devoted to each route so you're basically getting eleven small books in one big book.
Map detail is simple and not detailed, so you obviously need a map and/or sat nav to supplement the book.
Lots of really useful info on accommodation and eateries. Other great info such as warnings to fuel up in some more remote locations where fuel is sparse.
The only annoying aspect for me personally is that the route I am doing is east to west and the book details the routes west to east, but you can't blame the book for that!
on 11 September 2013
I found this book as a great touring guide with sufficient information for my tour of the USA over the months of July and August 2013. I did not forward book any hotels and found the motels from the hotelcoupons.com or their free booklets from Highway Petrol pumps to be very good and cost around $50 to $70 per night for a family room with two Queen size beds, sometimes a swimming pool, fridge, microwave, ironing board and an electric steam iron with breakfasts included.
We got the tickets for the famous Grand Canyon Skywalk much cheaper from the American Indian Museum in Flaggstaff, Az.
Over the 30 days, we travelled 6000 miles and cost us $6000 (Petrol + motels & food/drinks) for the four of us, making it at $50 per day per head or $1 per mile. We travelled in a Toyota Sienna people carrier.
We all had a wonderful time, even though we got stopped for driving at 40 mph on a 25mph road. Not fined but a warning not to do it again during our stay in the USA, by the Navajo Policeman, in Arizona.
on 23 November 2014
I've done a couple of long roadtrips in the USA now, using this book (or perhaps an earlier edition) for inspiration. It offers the perfect balance of interesting detail and geographical coverage - and I've started buying copies for friends and family who mention plans to drive in the States.
on 10 February 2015
Thank you. An absorbing and authoritative read. As advertised and on time.
on 26 November 2014