on 3 September 2009
Iam 68 and never previously entered a kitchen for any other reason than to eat or wash up. When my long sufferng wife was recomended by the dietician to follow the Gi diet as she is a bit on the up and down with the old blood sugars. I offerd to help with the new regime. There is a lot of information to absorb, and I took control of breakfasts to start off with, well the day normally starts with breakfast so why not?
I have enjoyed following the clear and well illustrated instructions and the very tasty results. For example Rick's Gi Granola beats anything found on a supermarket shelf hands down!! and the oaty buttermilk pancakes with a thin layer of ginger (no added sugar) spread, topped with low fat yogurt and blueberries is just mmmmmmmmm.
But do you know what is best about this book, Rick Gallop exixts and cares! I was having a problem finding an ingregient and e-mailed his website and got a lovely reply from the man himself. you can not get better than that. Oh by the way I have gone from 74kg to 69 with out trying!!
PS The Pocket guide is also a must.
on 25 August 2013
All of Ricks Gallops books are fantastic-he uses simple easy to understand language that doesn't patronise and the quality of the books cannot be faulted. The problem I find, as a Diabetic- is that, although the books say that Low GI is great for Diabetes-and that the recipes are suitable- a lot of them are not because they have far too many natural sugar sources or copious amounts of fruit. I LOVE fruit- but if I ate as much as this plan recommends, I'd be having trouble. So- embrace the whole thing- but use common sense if you have Diabetes and don't think that just because it's in this book-that it's not going raise your Glucose levels off the charts!
Since starting Low GI , I have never felt hungry, the weight is coming off me at a healthy regular pace, I always feel comfy and satisfied, my energy levels vastly improved and it's the best thing I have done.
on 7 February 2009
It works! These recipes fill you up with very little and are easy to make. The informative part of the book at the beginning makes for some fascinating reading too - it's the usual stuff, it's so obvious but you'd never think of it so you sit there reading it exclaiming, "Oh yeah! I'd never realised that!" I recommend it for anyone who needs a little post-Christmas boost of healthy eating, it's certainly been the star of my kitchen for the past couple of weeks!
on 6 September 2011
After loosing 5 stone on the Cambridge Plan in 5 months and currently exercsing to 'tone' the looser bits, i had a total rethink on what food meant to me and it was suggested by my consultant that I read up on low GI foods and found this on an internet search. I hate counting calories or adding up 'points' and didn't want to be on a 'diet' as such so focused on this, its all about relearning which foodgroups are good and low GI and portion controlling and the recipes don't make you feel like your stick to a strict diet as such.

This along with 2 other books from Rick Gallop's range of LOW GI cookbooks are fantastic. I've tried most of the recipes and often double up and make big batches to freeze.

6 months down the line I'm still pretty much enjoying the recipes and I'm now on the look out for more low GI cookbooks to add to my collection.
on 13 July 2008
I bought Rick Gallop's GI Diet Green-Light Cookbook because I am following a low GI/low carb diet. I was looking for more options so that I had flexibility with menu planning. The recipes look lovely and I have tried the Strawberry Tea Bread which is really good.

The reason I am giving this cookbook 3 stars is because it is lacking 2 things which I think are really important: serving sizes and caloric breakdown. For instance on the Strawberry Tea Bread, it says that it makes 2 loaves but it would be nice to know what size slice is a serving size. If you are keeping track of your caloric intake, you won't have any guidance with this cookbook unfortunately.

The recipes are lovely but without nutritional guidance, it lets down the cookbook.
44 comments|46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 October 2009
I bought 3 copies (1 for me and 2 later for friends after the weight started dropping off) of Rick Gallop's 'Getting the Best from Your Gi Diet' in September and wanted more of his recipes. The dishes included are really nice and not difficult to make either, with easy to follow instructions. Again Rick Gallop covers lunch, dinner, snacks and this time, special occasions as well including a chocolate birthday cake! Delicious. Can thoroughly recommnd this book.
on 15 June 2015
I am a big fan of the Gi diet books by Rick Gallop and among them, this has got to be my favourite because the recipes from this book are absolutely amazing. I have made almost every dish over 10 times within the past 8 years and I have to say I can't get enough of them. I am good at following recipes and found the recipes in this book turn out very well, even the cakes, if I follow the recipe (which to me is a big plus). There is so much variety and even treats to enjoy (e.g. the chocolate birthday cake is heavenly). The vegetarian dishes are so good that my meat loving other half keeps asking or them (especially the lentil bake). If you are serious about changing your lifestyle to a healthier one without compromising on flavour and taste of your food, this book will definitely appeal to you, and it will make a difference.
on 26 April 2014
This is a brilliant book to accompany the GI diet book. all the recipes are easy to do and tasty too. if you're into the GI diet and you want to expand your recipe index this is the book to start you off.
on 11 December 2014
Excellent book with lots of tips for losing weight without feeling hungry. Lost over a stone by following advice, but not too strictly.
on 30 June 2013
The book arrived earlier than I expected. It was in excellent condition on arrival but since then, because I use it most days, it's now looking used( I'm a messy cook!) Great recipes!