Customer Discussions > The House at Riverton forum

Richard and Judy's Summer Reads

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 22 Jun 2007 11:19:21 BDT
Last edited by the author on 22 Jun 2007 13:46:48 BDT
Hello Amazon Customers!

This book is currently one of Richard and Judy's summer reads - a light book to be enjoyed on the sun lounger! Do you agree? Does it deserve to be one of the eight titles on their list? We'd love to know your opinion!

PS: You can find all eight titles here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/?&docId=1000080353

In reply to an earlier post on 10 Mar 2008 01:11:40 GMT
irish reader says:
I hated this book. It was so badly written. Just nonsense really and I did manage to get half way through before I lost the will to live.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Mar 2008 21:42:46 GMT
Square Pin says:
I finished it last night and have already forgotten it. What badly written drivel. I already feel I've wasted too much time on this review.

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Apr 2008 13:34:33 BDT
Snaileen says:
I finished it last night and thought it was a very good ending, it brought all the emotions from throughout to a final climax, however I will say that I thought it was drawn out too long. I had worked out the twists right from the start, but if you try to see the book more about the emotions and the attitudes of the time it all makes sense. All in all I enjoyed it. Especially the comparisons between the pre and post war events. You have to have an interest in history to enjoy it.

Posted on 9 Jun 2010 20:54:02 BDT
G. Bell says:
All I can say is that either Richard, Judy or their producer has very, very wide tastes, or they didn't actually bother to read this book. I recently read another R'n'J book, 'Star of the Sea' by Joseph O'Connor - and what a contrast! O'Connor is a very intelligent, sophisticated writer who explores depths that would never even occur to the shallow, predictable Morton. Apart from being a superb story, 'Star of the Sea' is in many ways a jaw-droppingly sobering read, detailing the almost unbelievable racism of the English towards the Irish in the 19th century (they were routinely portrayed as monkeys for example).

Ms Morton is a million miles from this level of intellectual sophistication. Others have have (rightly in my opinion) flagged up the wafer-thin characters and the creaking, oh-so-predictable plot. If you read my review of the book you'll see that I was unnecessarily irritated all the way through by stupid factual mistakes which are all down to the fact that the author lives on the other side of the world, and has had to try to learn almost everything about life in the UK. It's not her fault she gets so much laughably wrong, but it is her fault that she chose to write about a location and a society that she doesn't intrinsically understand. The golden rule of fiction is "write about what you know", a rule Kate Morton blithely ignores because she thinks her research is enough. Mind you judging by the many women (sic) who clearly enjoyed the book, there are enough readers who don't notice too many details about the world around them, have a shaky grasp of history, and don't notice the teeth-grinding 'name-dropping' of well-known events, brands etc, to make Ms. Morton a good few bob from her writing. (Note to Kate Morton: do some research and you'll find out what a 'bob' is!.....)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  22 Jun 2007
Latest post:  9 Jun 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The House at Riverton
The House at Riverton by Kate Morton (Paperback - 15 Jun 2007)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (607)