Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle  Learn more Countdown to Prime Day Shop now Shop now

on 24 March 2011
My young daughter loves Richard Scarry's stories and word books as did I when I was a child. She has some of the hardback books and always enjoys pointing and saying "there's Huckle" so I decided to buy this bedtime story book.

This book is quite small and is ideal for reading at bedtime instead of one of the large hardbacks but the reason I find it slightly disappointing is that the stories are all featured in the hardback editions. This is not mentioned in the product description and I thought that it would be a new story or stories.

If you already own 'What do people do all day?" and "The funniest storybook ever" you may want to spend your money on a different bedtime book. If, however, you don't own the others then you'll find that this is a nice little collection of simple stories that young ones will enjoy.
on 14 June 2010
My daughter, aged 4 and a half, loves these stories, and in fact all Richard Scarry books. The characters are great and very funny and the stories all concern everyday things in a simple context that children love.
on 28 August 2010
I adored the Richard Scarry stories as a child, so got a real kick seeing Huckle and Lowly worm again.
Have to agree with the other reviewer though, this is a flimsy book, shame it's not more substantial, it's the type of paperback that's stapled rather than having a proper spine. It's also very small but this is reflected in the price I suppose.
on 11 February 2012
I wasn't wild about these books when my little girl had this book for her 3rd birthday almost a year ago now. However they have grown on my and have definitely grown on my daughter - the Richard Scarry books she received are a hit! Until an hour ago, when Amazon parcel arrived, we had 2, this one (Bedtime Stories) plus 'What do People Do all Day?' Though my daughter loves pink, baking and threading necklaces, I would not describe her as a 'girly' girl, preferring gymnastics, dens, trampolining and finding worms in the garden, she is going through a little phase right now at 3 and three quarters of wanting these books every night for her bedtime story. The books are good, with pages busy with quirky and detailed little spot colour illustrations which children like to scrutinse to see what comical mis-haps they can spot, though my husband gets a little irritated by the Americanisms like 'asphalt' for tar, 'faucet' for tap, and 'dumpcart' for refuse van, etc. I'm now in the habit of simply replacing the Americanism with the English term when I get to that word when reading aloud so that she understands.

'Bedtime Stories' in particular is a really handy book to take on a journey when you need to travel light, like on a Ryan Air trip, as it is so very small, thin and light (about 8"/20cm each way, and 15 pages long). It means that for the sake of carrying one book, you get 5 little stories to read:

~ Sergeant Murphy and the Banana Thief (you guessed it - that Gorilla Bananas)
~ Ma Pig's New Car (bit silly this one - Pa Pig is made out to be ridiculously absent minded accidentally repeatedly getting into the wrong vehicle on the way home until she ends up with a 'power shovel' - that's a digger to you and I)
~ Uncle Willy and the Pirates (thieving rats (pie-rats...) are foiled by Uncle Willy as they try to steal his home made pie)
~ The Unlucky Day (Just about everything that can go wrong for Mr Racoon does go wrong)

Today, I bought a handful of other Richard Scarry books as birthday gifts for a 4-year old boy's party later this afternoon. Would concur with another reviewer that the 'Funniest Storybook Ever', which has 11 stories in it, 5 of them are the identical 5 which feature in 'Bedtime Stories', though there are also 6 more, namely:

~ Talking Bread
~ The Accident
~ Please Move to the Back of the Bus
~ Uncle Willy and the Pirates
~ The Unlucky Day
~ Lowly Worm's Birthday - which is longer than the others and seems to be the grand finale!

Also bought 'Cars and Things that go' - many pages of lots of different types of vehicle, with their names beside them (some of those are Americanisms) - with a thinish storyline running through it - as this is a gift for someone else, have not sat down to read it with my daughter but I think it less likely she would enjoy it so much due to the lack of story to engage with. Little boys who love vehicles however (like today's Birthday Boy, probably will enjoy it). There are occasional quirky little drawings of crashed cars etc in it.

Also bought 'The Great Pie Robbery and Other Myseries' - this is for my daughter, am saving it for her birthday. Glancing through, I think she will enjoy it - it is hardback (so heavier) and the stories are perhaps v slightly longer than usual - or maybe just a little more spaced out in the pages.

Finally, the one she already has (Birthday Boy is also going to receive) 'What People do all day, is also a very good book, looking at different professions, daugher really enjoys it, stories being:
~ Everyone is a worker
~ Mothers work is never done
~ Sergeant Murphy of the Busytown Police Department
~ Firemen to the Rescue
~ A visit to the hospital
~ The train trip
~ Wood and how we use it
~ Digging coal to make electricity work for us
~ Building a new road
~ Water

Apologies for the repetition, but I am going to post this review on the pages for all the books I have listed herein.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 12 December 2013
I've loved Richard Scarry books for years - all those little drawings and bright colours with such imagination. My daughter and I would spend hours looking at them. So, I have bought this for my four-year old neice in the hope that she'll enjoy it as much. I am a little disappointed in that there aren't as many stories as I'd hoped (hence the 4 stars), however, as an introduction to the books it's a start.
on 6 July 2010
Very nice stories which are nice and short, ideal for bedtime. I have a 7 month old and my only niggle with the book is that the pages are not very substantial and my baby likes to grab the pages and try to put them in her mouth. It is not going to stand all that much of this. That being said, the price was very reasonable.
on 15 November 2010
I've loved Richard Scarry since I was a kid - I loved looking for where Lowly the worm and the gorilla where hiding in each picture. So I ordered this for my 4 yr old nephew. It arrived the next day and was exactly what I expected, great pictures, a nice size and good storylines. Yes, it is a paperback, but at the price it's a great wee book for bedtimes.
on 24 August 2013
I bought this book when pregnant; I had loved Richard Scarry as a child and wanted a touch of nostalgia to put on the nursery shelf. Although my baby is not yet 3 months, we have really enjoyed reading these brief and witty stories. my little one is transfixed by the illustrations, which are bold enough to stand out, and giggles throughout each tale, probably because they make me smile. I can't wait for her to really appreciate the content, a little gem of a book.
on 25 December 2013
Richard Scarry's books are a treasure. Thank you for getting it to us on time, way before you even promised. Thank you!
on 28 July 2014
My baby loves this book and she's always so excited when I pick it up to read to her. She loves the pictures. The fact that it has additional stories makes it a nice bedtime story book because you don't get bored reading different stories.