Customer Discussions > The Casual Vacancy forum

Reviewing the Book

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 27 Sep 2012 14:21:52 BDT
P. Prasher says:
I am confused to why people are berating this book on both the initial high price of the book and the difference in cost between the kindle version and the standard hard cover. The difference in cost between kindle and the hard cover is explained through VAT. Also I looked at the reviews and didn't find one of the actual book content, which is rather annoying as that's what reviews are for.

Posted on 27 Sep 2012 14:50:04 BDT
Missus-S says:
I completely agree, I'm waiting for a proper review before shelling out , but these idiot reviews aren't helping. Go to a forum if you want to rant about the cost of a book, it's unfair to bring the rating down with all these 1 star reviews which are not in the least bit constructive.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 14:50:16 BDT
Last edited by the author on 27 Sep 2012 14:50:49 BDT
Clear79 says:
I couldnt agree more - the reviews rating this as an average of 2 stars are utterly misleading given that the majority of 1 star reviews are due to the price of the Kindle download.....JK Rowling is good but I don't think she's that good at controlling that price.

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 15:57:27 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 28 Sep 2012 10:07:30 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 20:19:23 BDT
Big Jim says:
The spoof detective makes a reasonable case for his one star review and at least he seems to have tried to read the book. I am all for protest but don't think this is the right way to go about it. I wouldn't buy the kindle edition and if everyone else who might have doesn't then supply and demand would suggest the price may come down. In any case have you seen how much many non-fiction e-books cost? This is without the alternative of discounted hard backs

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 21:56:09 BDT
Missus-S says:
May I just ask what you mean when you say you gave up? Did you buy the hardback/ebook and just couldn't 'get into it' as I say?

In reply to an earlier post on 27 Sep 2012 22:41:40 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 28 Sep 2012 10:07:42 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 28 Sep 2012 10:09:59 BDT
I Readalot says:
It is not a case of ripping off anyone. Production costs and dare I say it, economics has to be taken into account. Think of it this way, you invent a product, the costs of manufacture per unit is only say, £1 but you have spent £100,000 in development costs, therefore you will have to shift a lot of units before you move into profit. Out there you know there are are certain number of people desperate to get their hands on this product so you will price it as high as the market will allow to recoup as much as possible as quickly as possible. When supply exceeds demand the price would be reduced, and so on. Eventually your profit margin will be practically nil hopefully you will have made enough from product 1 to innovate and produce product 2. Only an idiot would sell a product cheaply at the outset unless there is competition in the market place which is the case with the HB versions of this book. The RRP for the HB is £20.00, publishers cannot control the price that retailers sell it for and many of them are using them as loss leaders to get people into their stores.

Posted on 10 Feb 2013 16:45:47 GMT
A. Rose says:
A lot are moaning about the price, especially the Kindle price. They forget that this is pre-paperback and as with all pre-paperbacks you have to pay the hardback rate. If you want it cheaper you have to wait a few months for the paperback edition but in this case many wanted it for Christmas.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Casual Vacancy forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  27 Sep 2012
Latest post:  10 Feb 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Casual Vacancy
The Casual Vacancy by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - 27 Sep 2012)
3.5 out of 5 stars   (3,293)