Format: Paperback|Change

At the end of the last book The Devil Wears Prada, Andy had screamed obscenities at her boss Miranda Priestly in Paris, and consequently cost herself her job. This book picks up Andy's story 10 years after leaving Runway magazine, and she's certainly made a success of herself. Together with her former Runway colleague Emily, the pair have created and now run their own weddings magazine, The Plunge. Couple that with the fact she's about to marry one of the shareholders and her own Mr Right in Max, it seems everything is going right for Andy. But just as she thinks life is perfect, it seems her past has come back to haunt her. Miranda is back, and Andy is determined that she won't let that woman back into her life again. But she's up against the odds - how will Miranda aka The Devil destroy her life this time, and will Andy come through it a better woman?

I was so excited to see more of the Miranda vs Andy clashes, but if you're expecting a lot of that in this book, I'm afraid you're going to be sorely disappointed. In fact, I was left disappointed with how little of Miranda was in the book as a whole. She doesn't appear in any big scenes, at first it's just glimpses of her, but even by the end, there haven't been any major "Miranda incidents" as there are throughout the first book, so it kind of makes the title a bit of a mystery too. Yes, Miranda is back, but, well, not really. She isn't nice, she's still ruthless but we do get to see a different side to her, and it just seemed very odd to me. I was constantly awaiting something huge to happen, but it never materialises, and while I enjoyed the story as a whole and reading about Andy again, the lack of Miranda and her "revenge" was a huge let down.

Andy is the book has certainly grown up in the book, is ready to get married to Max and is a successful magazine editor in her own right, but I have to say I did want her to grow a bit more of a backbone in the book! She was far too nice for my liking, not willing to put her own point of view above anyone else's, especially Emily's, and it did start to grate on my nerves after a while. I enjoyed reading the development of her marriage to Max and the other developments that happen to her, and the celebrities and scenarios she finds herself in through her job are fun to read about. I also liked the mentions of designers and clothes, which were frequent throughout the book but didn't seem too over-the-top which was good, and of course Andy and Emily had an appearance to uphold!

For me, this book was far more about Andy and her journey at this point in her life than about anything to do with Miranda. Yes, the devil does come back, but not in the way a lot of readers will be hoping for, and I have to confess I was left surprised by the final few chapters and what occurs there. I can't imagine this book turning into a big Hollywood movie as the first one did, simply because people would demand more of Miranda than is included in it. Weisberger is a good writer that can draw you into a story and make you care about her characters, but I have to question the title and lack of Miranda Priestly - let's be honest, she is going to be the reason most people will want to read this, and to find out what her revenge is going to be. I enjoyed it for what it was; an enjoyable read about a woman moving on with her life in New York despite a few wobbles, but for those hoping for The Devil Wears Prada part 2, I'm afraid you might be left disappointed.
on 12 July 2013
As a long lover of The Devil Wears Prada, when I found out last year that Lauren Weisberger was working on a sequel, I was incredibly happy. Liked the book, loved the film and I couldn't wait to catch up with Andy and delve back into her world.

The book started off with promise but I didn't buy the friendship of Andy and Emily, it just seemed false and fabricated. Even more so, how in hell did they become friends, and subsequently create a wedding magazine together? Also, I didn't understand why Andy went down the fashion and celebrity line of work, didn't she despise her time working at the world's biggest fashion magazine? I pictured her working at The New Yorker, writing books, moving on to bigger and better things that felt more comfortable to her.

Without giving much of the plot away, she catches up with Miranda over a business project and even though I liked reading about Miranda, there wasn't enough of her. For me, the appeal of TDWP was always about Miranda and her devilishness and I feel this book didn't feature enough of her. It was all about Andy, her life, her struggles, moaning about Miranda, her husband and Emily. Andy was incredibly unlikable, gone was her charm, innocence and overall likability of her in the beginning. She was completely shallow and self absorbed.

I really wanted to like the book, but I didn't. I felt the characters didn't have enough depth or interest. The storyline was completely predictable and just didn't match the feel of the book or the film. I would NOT advise anyone to buy this. Unless you really want to, go ahead and read it but bear in mind, you WILL be disappointed and you WILL wish that you had never bothered with it.

If I hadn't of bought the Kindle edition, then I would surely have burned the print edition!
on 6 July 2013
Don't bother with this book. I can summarise the story in literally two sentences. Nothing happens, Miranda hardly appears and Andy has turned into a whiny backbone-less loser.
What a disappointment.
It's been a long time since the first part of this trendsetter novel by t Lauren Weisberger has delighted many lovers of fashion, fame, power, and romance. In the first part, called the Devil Wears Prada, a young and ambitious Andrea got a dream job working for the most glamorous fashion magazine; however, the chief editor Miranda Priestly turned her dream into an unimaginable nightmare.

It's been ten years since the day when Andrea quit, and the second installment reveals an entirely new life of Andrea. With his best friend she launched a luxury wedding magazine The Plunge and married Max, the successor of prominent family. But, a seemingly perfect and peaceful life is shaken by one unexpected letter and even more unexpected phone call.

On the wedding day, Andrea in the bag of her future husband found a letter of his mother in which her mother in law writes against their wedding, considering Andrea unsuitable wife for her son. Andrea, who found out that she was pregnant, decides to get over it and promise herself that nothing will stand in the way of their family happiness. But ghosts from the past will reappear. At Andrea's dismay, and Emily's and Max's enthusiasm, the great and powerful vicious woman decides to buy The Plunge offering them sky-high figure. But even worse than the appearance of evil Miranda is the betrayal of the closest people that Andrea will soon feel...

The good news are that readers who have not read the first part will be able to unburdened read (and enjoy) this one because the author skillfully introduces flashbacks to past events. Although it is a trendsetter novel that tells in detail about fashion trends and high society, the author cannot be denied the successful psychological profiling of her characters, well-made story design by mixing retrospection and introspection, and an unexpected twist at the end.

So, for the fans of Lauren Weisberger's first part the sequel will be equally entertaining, and although it is a novel that deals with high society, in which the signature on the clothes is more important than the personality itself, the novel at its end points out the true value and therefore, to those younger ones, can be recommended.
on 27 July 2013
Maybe my expectations were a bit high but this was truly mind-numbing. I was expecting to escape into a book (like I was able to with the first one) but this was tedious and frustrating. It was impossible to empathise with any of the characters. I feel like I wasted hours of my life reading this.
on 29 April 2016
I am a big fan of Lauren Weisberger's books and have read all of them. Weisberger's first book spawned the fantastic film, "The Devil Wears Prada". The lead character, Andy, lands a job working as an assistant to the fearsome editor of the Vogue-like Runway magazine. It is a bit like Sex and The City in that it revolves around strong female characters working in New York City with a focus on fashion and relationships.

I was excited to read the sequel to the book and bought this to take on holiday to read whist relaxing on my sun lounger. The book picks up a few years after Andy leaves Runway magazine and documents her next steps in life as she passes the 30 mark. I don't want to give much away other than saying she has to face a balancing act between relationships and her career whilst dealing with people from her past becoming part of her present (hint, it's The Devil who wears Prada). I really wanted to love this book but unfortunately I found I wanted to shake Andy most of the way through reading it. The plot seems quite tame and one of her biggest dilemmas is what you would call a 1st world problem (hence the urge to shake her). It would have been good to have a character in it to bring her back to reality and remind her how lucky she is and the fact that there are other options. Her big dilemma, in real life, is not black and white. I came up with 5 other ways for her to get round her issue...

There was not enough high fashion or fabulous locations described and it became a bit too domesticated for my tastes. Where is the go-getting, kick-ass Andy from the first book? I have read about people not getting how she could become best friends with her nemesis Emily from the first book when they were both assistants for Miranda but I actually thought it was explained well how they bonded and I bought their friendship in the sequel. I was not satisfied with the ending and I definitely hope Weisberger leaves boring Andy alone. I think if this series is to be continued that it would be far better to carry on the story of Emily as these are the sort of characters which the author seems to write about really well. Worth a read but don't have high hopes.
on 23 February 2014
I will start this review by saying that I am not a big fan of chick lit, but I really liked The Devil Wears Prada. There were faults, but it was a good read.

I am one of life's completists, so I read her next two books after The Devil Wears Prada and disliked them both so much that I struggled to finish them. I refused to waste money on the other book.

So it was with great trepidation that I embarked on this book - I wanted to find out what cold have happened to Andy & Co in the interim, but I knew from my other experiences of Weisberger's writing style that I wasn't likely to be thrilled with the result. I was right. The book crammed so many storylines into it that it had to skip forward in some chapters to enable her to shoehorn some sort of completion into the book without making it into a Gone With The Wind length epic! Worse still, the writing is sloppy to say the least. In one section, in describing Miranda's new office, Weisberger uses the word sweep and sweeping several times in one page. It's called a thesaurus, every computer has one!

And the storyline is vaguely interesting, but because of this necessity to "get everything in", the narrative suffers. As with her other novels, it is peppered with references to the New York jet-set that we see in things like Sex And The City, and this in engaging enough to get you through. But I suspect that many, like me, will be very disappointed.
on 10 August 2014
Title says it all, curious as I was to discover what happened to Ahn-dre-ah, it's not very good as a sequel and I can't imagine Meryl Streep rushing to sign up for the sequel film . The unlikely and downright ridiculous paring and bonding of Andrea and Emily over a cooking class is ludicrous and after that , the rest of the plot was plunged in mediocrity and seemed ridiculous. Meeting up with the " love of your life" and it being possible to re- kindle the relationship is also akin to living in la- la land - maybe it happens in the USA ,as a Brit , it lacked truth on most levels . Sorry , can't recommend it - original was great, best to leave it there if you enjoyed it.
on 22 July 2013
I abandoned this book half way through, I think I've only done that twice before. This book is awful. Badly written, badly edited and the characters are not at all likable. Andy has become so self-involved and spoilt - it's more like you are reading about a teenager than a woman in her 30's. The storyline about her husband and whether he wants to be with her or not is eye-rollingly cringy. What a waste of money.
on 23 June 2013
Ok so I did enjoy the book it is a decent enough read. However having seen the film a few times and only recently read the original book I am not wholly satisfied with this sequel. To me it really does feel like I'm reading the film's sequel not the books. I'm not convinced that the two assistants would be such good friends and also the title of this book is misleading. If your just looking to see what happened next to Andy and if her world works out happily you'll get it with this book.