TheDD-445 USS Fletcher type called after Admiral Frank F. Fletcher was launched on 3rd May 1942 from Federal Shipbuilding in Kearny, New Jersey. Unlike previous USdestroyers the hull of the ship was able to withstand much heavier loads, so that the destroyer driven by two high-pressure steam turbines with a capacity of60,000 shp reached a top speed of 37 knots. The maximum cruising speed under operational conditions was 32 to 33 knots. Modern radar equipment ensured that she was also fully operational by night and in poor visibility. Some parts of the superstructure were clad in 12 mm hardened steel armour increased to as muchas 19 mm armour plating in vital areas of the hull.
Thanks to a very conservative construction, a powerful power plant and extensive modern radar andsensor systems, the ships of the Fletcher Class proved to be the most successfulUS Navy destroyers in the 2nd World War. During the war 18 ships were lost due to enemy action mainly in the Pacific. Shortly after the war ended 145 Fletcher destroyers were retired from service. At the beginning of the Korean War the US Navy reactivated over 60 ships and at the end of the 1950s some were sold to allies.