Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 March 2013
This review comes from the perspective of a yoga teacher.

If you're not a yoga teacher and are recovering from illness or co-living with chronic problems, this book will give you wonderful and supportive ways to receive the benefits of yoga practice without any risk of physical strain.

However, if you are a yoga teacher, and especially if you have been trained or influenced by the Iyengar teaching, I imagine you will find that you already know a lot of the suggestions here, and there is a lot of repetition. For example there are 5 variations on the Basic Relaxation Pose, and 7 variations of a supported backbend.

I am glad to have purchased the book. I have integrated the postures and sequences into my classes and into my own practice, and am very, very glad to have done so. Powerful and deep stuff, to be sure.
on 4 August 2013
This book is well written with plenty of big,clear easily visible photos. As a yoga teacher I have picked out lots of useful ideas & inspiration for restorative yoga classes.
on 19 March 2013
This book is full of great advice on how to relax. Although aimed at those who do yoga I think anyone with a busy life could benefit from reading this book.
on 1 July 2013
Started going to restorative yoga classes and found this book well laid out and a great intro to restorative yoga.
on 1 February 2014
I expected a lot more from this book. It does teach you about restorative yoga, but uses just a handful of poses, and does not tell you what to do in case you do not have any, or some of the props available. Interesting, but limited.
on 28 December 2013
I love this book. It explains restorative yoga in a way that is easy to understand, helpful and practical. The suggested sequences can last anywhere between 5-10 minutes to an hour and a half. I wanted to practice restorative yoga at home and this book has enabled me to do that. You do need some props to get you started but for the most part you can make do with things you already have in the house.
on 30 May 2013
I found this book a bit of a disappointment actually. I recently started teaching yoga and thought it would serve well for the restoritive part of the practice giving my safe and supportive ways in which to approach poses that are sometimes not made possible as we are not all so flexible . I found if I didn't have the props that are seen in yoga centres it made it difficult to get into most of the postures and a lot of the book was repetitive and I quickly bored of it and it was pushed to one side. Was hoping it would be one of those books that I'd dip in and out of as and when- but No, more like at the bottom of a pile of reference books. Shame , because nicely ilistrated tho.
on 19 December 2014
Fabulous -- great explanations and hand pictures. This is a great practice and I highly recommend it.
on 3 May 2016
Very good book overall
on 18 July 2013
I found the book well written with lots of useful information to aid relaxation. However, the Kindle edition didn't do justice to the illustrations which appeared fuzzy and unclear. Graphs giving information where also barely deciferable which was very frustrating. I will think twice before buying books with illustrations via Kindle in future.