on 8 November 2006
I bought this book as my parents wanted to find out what they could do to support my husband and I through the adoption process. Since buying a copy for them I have been back and bought another 6 copies for all our relatives and closest friends, as it's relevant to anyone who will be involved in the life of the children we adopt.

It would be good to go into a bit more depth on some topics, but as an introduction it's great, and will give the people we are closest to a good appreciation for the process we are going through, but more importantly for the kind of issues that the children we adopt may face, and what role they can play in their lives.
on 26 February 2010
With 3 sets of assorted parents all obviously concerned that their lives are going to be hugely impacted by our starting the adoption process, this book has been ideal as a way to offer them an insight into the process and how it will affect them.
Having read it myself first I found it clear and covered all the basics in an honest but reassuring manner. It isn't as in depth as I am sure other books would be, and I think therefore the price includes a mark up for BAAF's fundraising department. But it gives them enough of a flavour to feel confident of where to go next in their reading. This is important as the formal adoption process offers relatives no training or preparation despite their input being huge!
on 1 May 2009
A mine of useful information/helpful hints for anyone about to be involved in the potentially complex but highly rewarding process of adoption.
on 23 March 2010
great to get the family involved in your adoption proccess and to allow them to deal with feelings that they may also have as relatives. my whole family thought this was a great little book and not too long to be daunting! well worth buying!
on 25 April 2011
As new adoptive grandparents, this book was very helpful in helping us to look at issues from the children's point of view. I particularly appreciated the reminder that their 'history' as they come into the family could be recorded and could help root them securely as they grow. It is written in a friendly and accessible way. The book is very useful for aunts, uncles and cousins and all the wider family.
on 28 May 2012
I found this book very informative and helpful as our daughter and son-in-law have recently gone through the adoption process. It will help us in our understanding of the adjustment needed for our new little grandchild and our relationship with the family. I can recommend it.
on 12 April 2011
We are at the start of the adoption process, but wanted to keep our parents involved as to what it entails. This book is great - not intense or particularly indepth, but a good introduction to adoption, the role of other relatives and the issues that adopted children may face.

Mum read it within a day or two, and fed back that she had found it really useful, and particularly liked the case studies. It has also meant that our parents genuinely feel involved in our adoption journey.
on 21 March 2011
This is an excellent book. As our adopted child will have 4 sets of grandparents, I bought a copy for all of them. It's written in a very straight forward way and just gives other family members more insight into the adoption process, but also advises them on how they can support the parents and how they should act with the child. Would thoroughly recommend all of the BAAF books like this one.
on 5 January 2010
I found this book very informative covering all types of queries you may have. It gave you a good insite to the problems you might experience or the adopted parents are going through. I liked the book as there wasn't to much non essential infomation in it and was an easy read.
on 30 June 2013
This book was recommended to us as prospective adoptive grandparents and was hugely helpful. Often, in this situation, you feel distant from the process that your loved ones are going through. This book clearly explains all that you need to know and answers many questions that are inevitably on the tip of your tongue.