This is basically a copy of my review of the first volume. As with vol 1, this Region 1 release WILL play on a R2 DVD player. The prints used for this release are generally very poor, which personally I can live with as I love these comedies, but I felt I had to knock off a star because of the poor quality. There are no extras or subtitles.

This collection of 10 shorts were produced in the 1930's & 40's, and provide almost 3 hours of great comedy entertainment. Edgar Kennedy was a great foil for the legendary Laurel & Hardy in a number of their comedy shorts. Here, the much put-upon Kennedy suffers at the hands of his manipulative wife & her cheeky, leeching mother and brother. Our hapless hero huffs and puffs to no avail, as his resentment builds. The master of the 'slow-burn' continually suffers abuse & ridicule at the hands of family and friends alike. The vastly underrated Edgar Kennedy certainly had great comic timing, and fully deserved his own series of short comedies, which display a true comedy legend at work. Great fun!
on 19 December 2011
There is a 'review' giving three stars because the 'reviewer' didn't know what was on the DVD yet...lame.
It pushes a rating down for a true classic and Amazon should look into removing such missives.

Possibly the highest compliment I can make, without giving a potted history of his career, is that Laurel and Hardy thought enough of him to work with them on many occasions.

A Merchant of Menace (1933)
An Apple in His Eye (1941)
Baby Daze (1939)
Feather Your Nest (1944)
Hold Your Temper (1943)
I'll Build it Myself (1946)
I'll Fix It (1941)
Prunes and Politics (1944)
Rough on Rents (1942)
Westward Ho-Hum (1941)

As I said on the first volume.
Edgar Kennedy.
A true innovator and painful understanding of timing and build up.

These films are not just classics to archive but need a wider appreciation, if nothing more than to see just how far comedy came and then receded.

As for the purchase. Flawless and recommended highly.

Love Laurel and Hardy, love Edgar Kennedy. A very simple equation.