Size: 10 UK|Colour: Claret|Change

on 14 June 2012
Redbacks are a rarity in the UK but a staple in Australia. They are amazingly, amazingly comfortable because they're pressure point free on the upper foot and the sole and because the micro-bubble sole seems to eat shock. If you need to be on your feet all day, these are these shoes to wear. They also provide a decent amount of ankle support in a comfortable and unobtrusive way - not as much as a hiking boot, but some. And they're hard-wearing, easy to clean, and provide excellent grip.

So what are the caveats? Well -

1. If you have narrow feet, you might not be able to wear them. The regular boot is somewhat wide and the half sizes are genuine extra wides (but otherwise the same size as a regular - i.e. an 11.5 is 11 Extra Wide.)

2. The safety boots versions have steel toe caps but I'm fairly sure they don't have the sole protection expected of real safety boots in the UK.

3. These are not, not, DEFINITELY NOT hiking boots for UK conditions. The soles are too flexible. Which isn't to say that you'll explode if you walk offroad in them - more so than trainers and perhaps even most "adventure sandals"; just don't buy them thinking they're ideal for doing the Munros in.

4. I might be wrong, but I think they can a little stinky when you take them off. Which is odd, because they're seem to have the usual breathability of leather boots - I might be fooling myself by wearing them longer and more often than other shoes. Anyway, this problem is easily with by dropping a shoe-ball type deodourizer into each boot.

Compared to other similar looking Australian boots, these are definitely the ones to get. The advanced sole technology (the bottom of the sole is covered in translucent faintly blue "micro-bubble" gel and this seems to be the stuff that provides the grip and much of the comfort) is the biggest reason. But the uppers are also excellent - double stitched out of extra-thick oiled leather. And unlike their main competitor, they still make their boots in Australia instead of pushing up profit margins by using Third World sweatshop labour.
on 7 February 2013
I've worn Blundstones for years but the sole on my last pair literally disintegrated under the tread, which then came loose. It looks a lot like hydrolysis, which is an acknowledged problem with the Poly Urethane used in the soles if the boots are not worn regularly, but I've been wearing my last pair on most days for the past year and a half. Having also learnt that the boots are no longer Australian-made I decided to look around for an alternative.

After a couple of weeks of wear I feel at home with my new Redbacks. I think the Blundstone 510s I had were a little more comfortable, and the style of these Redbacks isn't quite as 'traditional' as the Blundstones, but it's early days and overall I'm very happy with them and think they're a viable alternative to Blundstones.
on 21 September 2012
I ordered these for my husband who has wide feet. In the past he has worn Blundies and various others.
He was able to wear the 9.5 he is rather than getting a half size bigger. He says they are the most
comfortable boots from day 1 that he has ever had and will definitely be getting another pair.
on 4 July 2013
This was my second pair of redbacks, my first steel toecapped pair having been demoted to being worn for work as my previous pair of a different brand had worn out. This first pair is still in very good condition after 2 years of wear so I had no hesitation to buy another of the same and was not disappointed. Comfortable straight out of the box, and really well made with good quality materials. I would only advise that they are regularly polished which easily retains their original look.
on 13 November 2012
After my last pair of Dr Marten boots disintegrated,quite literally!!!. I needed a light comfortable pair of boots for work and as I work long shifts, mostly on my feet. comfort was my primary concern. Well look no further. These are comfortable, light, stylish and very well made. They may seem a bit pricey to some but I believe you get what you pay for. Buy cheap, get cheap. Far superior to the Dr Martens which I have been buying for thirty years or more and which incorporate Redbacks own air cushion soles. Go on and treat yourself. Your feet deserve it.!
on 26 September 2013
I am wearing them for the first time today and they are so comfortable and look good as well. Really pleased with them and will see how they survive the winter.
on 20 November 2012
These boots are perfect. Simple design and quality materials combined.
Comfortable straight out of the box and mine arrived within 2 days of my order with standard free delivery option.
These boots deserve thier reputation. Buy with confidence.
Amazon might not pay an tax but they sure do deliver.
on 27 December 2013
My husband it thrilled with his practical xmas pressie. They are a perfect fit and very prompt service.Thank you very much
on 17 September 2013
really comfortable so light and stylish . perfect work boot for many work situations . well made and not made in china
on 7 November 2014
Large size fitting meant they had to be returned for smaller size. But once I got the right size they are very good.