I loved this book, which picks up about 6 months after Travis arrived in Australia and for the most, his and Charlie's relationship is pretty solid, but I did have a few issues with some of it - mainly Charlie's 'what if people find out?' attitude, which luckily, did change by the end of the tale, publicly and in a WTF?! fashion.

I was a little frustrated at how secretive Charlie felt he had to be, even with the people closest to him, but at least he was willing to try new things, and I loved how patient and loving Travis was with him. Their relationship definitely grew in this tale, and it was nice to see that though they were out of the honeymoon period, they still missed each other when work forced them apart, and when the issue of immigration reared its ugly head.

Though I did like how Charlie outed himself for the love of Travis - in kick-butt fashion, LOL!, as he refused to deny what he was, or his love for Travis - I did feel that the immigration issue sorted itself out too quickly and easily, and that there seemed to be a little too much of an about-face. Then again, I only know about UK and Mauritian immigration stuff, so perhaps the Aussie system is more lenient - it just made me feel as if everything was building up to some major drama, that just dissipated.

There was a nice little touch of domesticity with Matilda, and as the tale ended, it seemed as if this would be repeated with Nugget; maybe he/she will be in RDH3? I loved how Charlie's 'I'm a rancher first and foremost' attitude changed with the arrival of Matilda and the concessions Charlie learned to make; it made his and Travis's relationship seem more equal, rather than boss and lover, separately.

However, I remain a fan of the series and am impatiently awaiting RDH3, which is out in a few weeks.
on 18 August 2014
All I can say is I love it as much as the first book! I don't want to give any major spoilers away, but I love the way book 2 builds on Travis & Charlie's relationship - good and bad bits. Some of it makes you want to hit Charlie, and a lot of it just makes you want to go "aaaawwww" at the cuteness - especially when it involves Matilda! The main thing that I love about N R Walker's books is that with all the trilogies, although you have tension up to the end of each book, they all have their own HEA too and don't leave you in suspense with a cliffhanger ending until the next book. Although saying that, roll on book 3 - can't wait to read what happens next.
on 22 August 2014
**Goodreads review dated 19th August**

Absolutely outstanding!! The quality of this story is proof, if it were needed, of why Nic Walker is an auto-buy author for me, and has the highest number of 5 star ratings on my bookshelves...yes, you could say I'm a huge fan!! I'm only sorry that once again the most I can give is 5 stars, and I'll just say for the record, I'm SO glad that Nic's mojo came back.

Not going into too much detail, everyone that read RDH 1 needs to read this sequel too...and probably will. I love that Nic hasn't been tempted to `Americanise' this story in any way, and has left it set in Australia where they use ENGLISH words such as arse, nappies and biscuits!! Travis calls McDonalds `Mickey-dees', Charlie calls it `Macca's'...in this house we call it Muck Donalds!!

Charlie is still having problems getting used to the fact that he and Travis are a couple, and can't force himself to act as though he's in a relationship in public...in his head, he can do it, but not out in the wide world; in fact, he takes his stubbornness too far (smack upside head from me) and nearly causes Travis to leave the station. "I'm not like you," I admitted quietly. "I'm not as brave as you. Just to be out and don't give a f**k. I wish I was. But I'm not. I have to think of my business, and it's different for me. I wish it wasn't."

Laughs a plenty in this instalment...my favourite being the supermarket personal lubrication survey....honest!! Read it for yourself. But there were serious moments too, we discover that Travis is a little homesick and makes his point quite beautifully to Charlie by taking his shoes off and feeling the grass in `the Alice' between his toes - he can't of course do that on the station. There is a problem with Travis' visa which means that even if he and Charlie don't split up through Charlie's pig-headedness, the Australian government might do it for them.

My favourite part of the story?? When Charlie finally, hallelujah embraces the gay within himself at a meet of the Beef Farmers Association, all of whom were good old boys and kept congratulating him for being his father's son (ugh!!). It just so happened that a certain person who was kicked off the station in the last story for being a bigot, turned up and started spreading rumour and innuendo about Charlie and Travis which the old farts on the committee lapped up. I'll leave you to discover what happens from then on.

Quotes, we must have quotes....

"You don't belong here." He smiled at my expression. "You belong on Sutton Station. It's a part of you. The vastness, the open spaces, the red dirt."
"It's who I am."
He smiled. "It's who I love."

"This is what it's about, right here. Open desert, flat to the horizon, blue sky, red dirt and you."

"Do you know what the odds are that I would ever find someone? I live and work in the middle of the desert, and he gets on a plane from the other side of the planet and arrives at my doorstep." I took a shaky breath. "The most perfect guy, and for some reason I will never understand, he chose me. I'll tell you what the odds are." I raised my pointer finger. "One. One chance in a lifetime. That's all I get."

I turned to face him then and fought back tears. "I can't do this without you." His face fell and his lip trembled. "Yes, you will," he murmured. "It will kill me," I told him, trying not to cry. "If you get on that plane, a part of me will die."

I smiled at him. "I told you what I spent three years doing."
"Hmm," he huffed. "Yeah, every gay man in Sydney."
"Not every gay man," I replied cheerfully. "I'm pretty sure some were straight."
on 25 August 2014
I am really enjoying NR Walker's 'Red Dirt' series. The Outback setting is, at least to me, fascinatingly unfamiliar, the supporting characters are warm and well-rounded, especially the irrepressible Ma and George, her long-suffering husband, and the love scenes are hot, but, best of all, is the banter between Charlie Sutton, the solitary owner of Sutton Station, and Travis Craig, the American agricultural student who captures his heart. Charlie's rants, often self-directed, and Travis' gentle ribbing are a winning combination. As the novel progresses, Charlie becomes more comfortable with his sexuality, finally laying to rest the ghost of his father and his savage rejection, whilst Travis, stubborn, animal-saving, sweet and sexy-as-hell, well, he's just perfect. I can't wait for future instalments!
on 22 August 2014
really liked the first book and was very excited to hear that the second book was out.
I loved it, The relationship between Charlie and Travis is at times fraught with trouble and also, at times, very emotional.
I really like the way the author has described working on this vast 'ranch'.
The author builds up the tension so well that buy the penultimate chapter you are dying for an answer
(VAGUE(ish) SPOILER) I have to say that the last chapter literally made me LOL.
The only thing I would say is that you need to have read Red Dirt Heart 1 before you read this or you won't understand the meanings of some things and the relevance they have in this story.
I have every book this author has written and I will definitely be buying RDH3 - which she has said is coming!
on 19 August 2014
There is nothing I don't love about this book!
Normally I have a favourite main character in a story but I just cannot choose between Charlie and Travis. Oh and Ma comes in a very close second!

As in the first book I adored the captions at the beginning of each chapter.

'Shitville. Population: me.'

Charlie and Travis made me laugh so much! The interaction between them is magical. Sweet and frustrating all at the same time.

I want to go to Australia and live on a Station, ride horses, sleep on red dirt, muster cattle, see the stars as Travis describes them, drive a Ute, wear an Akubra, raise baby animals and maybe even turn into a gay man!!
Providing I could find my very own Charlie or Travis that is. Or both...
on 19 September 2014
Excellent follow up to book one and we get to have a book three, yipee, although by the time its published I will have to re-read 1 and 2 to remember them! I liked this, more authentically Australian than the last one I think, but thats just my opinion. They're a nice couple, they have the best family and they love each other, what more can you want? Book 3 thats what.
Good story, overcoming prejudice, coming out and telling them if they don't like it they can f**k off. I loved the part where Charlie stood his ground at the 'Cattlemens Association' (LOL) and what he said really rang true - read it and see what he did say! Lovely read.
on 14 January 2015
Great plot as always by Ms. Walker, plenty of angst amongst two real characters. I admit to preferring book 1 in this to-be-series, probably because the protagonists were fresh and the relationship was developing. (I actually felt like slapping Travis' face in this novel).
Book 1 set the scene and I felt as if I could see the outback landscape, the red dirt and feel the heat. Book 2 doesn't have half as much of the beautiful prose N.R. Walker is so good at, probably because the reader was introduced to this part of Australia in Book 1. So saying, I loved it. Great to see how the boys are developing.
on 23 August 2014
Brilliant, funny, touching, moving, frustrating, sexy.... this book was everything I like from a damn good novel, and then some. Such a great follow-up to the first novel, I laughed, cried and grinned my way through. This one took us deeper into the red dirt of the Sutton ranch and just like how that stuff seeps into your veins and makes you love it, so do Charlie, Travis and the motley crew of Sutton Station.

Now all I have to do is count down the weeks until Red Dirt 3 comes out.....and maybe read this one over again a few million times while I do. :D
on 2 November 2014
4.5 Stars

This book picked up right where book 1 left off. The same wonderful characters. Charlie, Travis, George, ma and all the Sutton Station crew. Everyone of the characters had a special spot in the story and made the book. The writing was superb, the story flowed flawlessly. It was one of those books you just can't put down until your done, because you need to know what's going to happen.

I was given this in return for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

~Sherry