on 12 November 2014
Earlier this year I was studying for my RHCSA and RHCE qualifications. I passed the exams with an almost 100% score, but no thanks to this book. This book is so poorly written and edited it is utterly absurd and shouldn't be for sale.

I already had an RHCE level of knowledge, I was just looking for a book to help recap all of the topics in the exams to make sure I didn't have any gaps in my knowledge. Therefore I was able to pick out countless technical errors and inaccuracies in both the written examples and the explanations of topics. Additionally the copy editing is rubbish, there are grammatical and spelling errors on almost every page of the book. I don't mind about the occasional error as that is normal but this book takes it to a whole new level. A colleague of mine also bought the book and eventually gave up reading it as they were struggling to get the practice examples to work on their own system due to all the errors.

The book reads like the author had some rough notes from their own RHCSA/RHCE studies and managed to get a book deal to write this, but it was then rushed and poorly put together. It literally reads like a collection of personal study notes with minimal background and explanation of the topics. If you are relatively new to Linux, perhaps having just completed LPIC-1 or CompTIA Linux+, this book will not only be a massive waste of your time, but misinform you. How this book has gotten 4 and 5 stars on Amazon is a total mystery to me.

Lastly the author has not even passed the RHCE exam (according to the back cover), so you have to ask whether you should be buying a study guide written by someone who has not been successful in the exam.

My advice is to avoid this book like the plague, and buy the McGraw Hill RHCSA/RHCE Study Guide which I also own and is much better written.

After I completed my certifications I chucked this book in the recycling bin as it had no place on my extensive technology bookshelf!
on 17 September 2014
I needed a quick hands-on training guide to get familiar with Red Hat, and although I am only about half way through; the content and coverage of this book is good.

...however, there are many typo's in this book which make reading it frustrating.
Lowercase 'L' in place of '1' is common, capital 'O' in place of zero, and random !'s where 1's should be (shift still on presumably) so just be warned in advance.

Outside of that, the labs and explanations are clear and for what it cost on kindle; it's worth it for those alone.
on 11 April 2013
Hello,

I have some experience with linux(Centos/Fedroa) before and wanted to prepare for RHCSA , I am using internet resources as well along with this book. The structure is well organised and serve the purpose. Level wise this book seems to be intermediate-advance, but if some early chapters can be added like explaining to setup a lab can be really helpful as the information on the internet is quite scattered in that respect and leads to alot of confusion.

I really liked the section wise approach of this book and addressing the outline of the RHCSA section wise through chaper progression, which was something spot on I was looking for. Also this book can have mock examination questions tied to end of each section which can be really helpful in preparing for actual exam. I have heard alot about Micheal Jhang's study guide but wanted to give this one a go as it was more recently published.Overall its a good book to buy go for it and good luck if you are preparing for your exam.
on 30 June 2013
Everything I was looking for. There's no doubt in my mind that if one were to follow this book thoroughly he/she would become an expert in Red hat and linux in general
on 26 May 2013
In depth coverage and succinct description of material. Apart from that it is short from boring or dull. In other words highly recommended
on 13 November 2014
This is a great book and easy to follow.
on 20 April 2013
Numerous Unix mistakes, does not bring anything, below bad.
The author should know Unix a bit better.
Regret having spent the money