on 16 March 2012
I downloaded this book for free and absolutely loved it. It's a YA book, and I'm not a Young Adult, but I do enjoy good YA and I enjoyed this. The characters were believable, you wanted to know what would happen next and it romped along at a good old pace. It is school based to begin with and definitely fantasy, so don't pick it up expecting a grown up heavy read. The romance was mixed up with the magic so I didn't find it too schmaltzy. Great, if you like this genre. Try it! I'm off to download the next book.
on 7 March 2012
What a great idea to make the first book free, it encouraged me to try it and by midway I was hooked. I have now read all four books in quick succession and it is a great story with lots of amazing characters and a wealth of detail and experiences.
There are many typo errors like poor grammar and misspelt words in places. Also the additional words here and there, where the author has obviously reworded a sentence but forgotten to remove the old wording completely. These are just editing errors and whilst annoying will not detract from your enjoyment of this amazing story.
Originally written for young adults, as was The Twilight Saga of Stephanie Meyer, but, like that series, this story will enthrall all ages. I personally am 73 and loved the books, can't wait for Ms Higginson to write more...hopefully with better proofreading!! I'm available if she needs someone !! BUY ALL FOUR DOWNLOADS, YOU WILL BE ENCHANTED AND ENTHRALLED.
on 7 February 2012
I had very mixed feelings about this book. I thought the premise of this book was quite good and the ideas worked well. However I found it quite poorly written and if the male lead "smirked" one more time I would have hit him. Several proof reading mistakes also. It was a shame as I wanted to like it more and as it was free I shouldn't complain!
on 19 January 2012
I wasn't expecting much from this due to it being a free book (I seem to get one good book for 5 awful ones), but the cover drew me in. This also needs a review, it's fantastic!
I feel like it's a huge combination of books, kind of like Harry Potter, Vampire Academy (though there aren't vampires, just mainly because of the school feeling) and those kinds of books.
It was an absolutely amazing read that I ripped through, and boy do I love Kiran. Plenty of surprises in it and plot twists, I really enjoyed it. I'm just sad that I can't get the other two yet as I don't have the money for it!
5 stars for sure!
on 25 February 2016
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book. I downloaded it ages ago so I'd forgotten the blurb and was sailing blind. In many ways that was both a blessing and a curse.

It was a blessing in that it was easier to identify with the main character, who was completely out of her depth and didn't know or want to see what was going on around her. It was a curse in that, with no sense of direction, the beginning of the book was very confusing and while that did help with the POV of the character, it was also frustrating when things that were revealed to the reader were ignored by the main character.

The only way I can describe it is like a Muggle-born witch attending Hogwarts without being told it's a school of witchcraft and wizardry and thinking she's going crazy because she doesn't know what she is either.

The world building was a little shaky in respect of trying to place the time. The opening scene reads like a fantasy novel but there's a car in it. It's difficult to place the Era or location until a few chapters in.

I liked the new mythology of this world. It was something fresh and different. There are four classes of "immortal", all with different powers and social standing. I would have liked to have understood the differences a little better and I don't think the "curse" was explained very well. It wasn't so much that I didn't grasp the concept of why the lack of free flowing magic was damaging to the community, it was more to do with not having any real sense of time again. It's something the author struggles with all the way through the book. Without understanding how the curse that drives the back story of the plot kills "suddenly", as is the case with Kiran's grandfather, and without any real understanding of the life span of an "Immortal" all the references are therefore meaningless. The author wants to make it feel like there have been centuries of suffering but at the same time it all feels like it happened in recent history and living memory, i.e. within the last 20 years or so.

Some of the plot devices also felt a little clumsy. While I can understand why Eden needed to make her way to Romania, it makes no sense that no-one told her who she was or why she was in so much danger.

The book was absorbing and enjoyable once I'd got over the initial confusion and the series certainly shows promise. There were a lot of typos in it, mostly towards the end of the book, as though the copy editor was tired by then and had lost focus. I would recommend it to friends because as well as enjoying it, I think the series has potential to grow. With some work, it has potential to be similar to the Vampire Academy series, less fantastical than Harry Potter.
on 15 January 2015
I really enjoyed this book. I love Eden Matthews the girl who is brought up by her aunt and is on her third and final school. Eden kept getting kicked out of schools because she would get an electricity feeling on her skin and then black out, this electricity is her magic and its building up it has caused things to happen in last three schools like floods and things blowing up.
her last chance school is kingsley this is where she meets Lily, kiran and Talbot, who become major players in Edens journey.
kiran wants to know what she is and won't leave her alone even though he's the crown Prince of the magic world and at the school to get to know his betrothed, his betrothed is a nasty piece of work who starts bullying Eden to keep her to stay away from kiran.

this is only the beginning of this story as there's much more to come things start unravelling when on a school camping trip Eden, Lilly, Talbot and kiran are attacked. Eden sees Lilly change to a tiger and Talbot and kiran fighting and using magic. this is the eye opener she realises she's not along and once she home Amory ( the school head teacher) explains all the Eden, who and what she is and the laws of her world.

Eden also finds out she has a twin brother and let's just say Avalon is full of trouble but then so is Eden lol.
love the bond between the twins and the powers and communication skills they have. rachel wrote it so well we can't help but laugh and cry along with these two.
I can see why Eden has problems with kiran ( I'm not spoiling) but I still cannot help love him :)

if you enjoyed Harry potter you will love this. I enjoyed this more than the Harry potter series. this is one series that will have you buying the next book before you have even finished the one before. the author does a brilliant job of putting us in the magical world and caring about these characters. I felt myself at time shouting a certain characters.
I won't spoil this for others I just think it's one world you don't want to miss out on.
on 28 December 2014
*I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

In Reckless Magic I could feel the chemistry between Eden and Kiran, the way they couldn't help but have this constant banter and it was quite electric but unfortunately I did not like Kiran. Kiran might be handsome but he was arrogant, over priviliged, stubborn, way too cocky and ye.s I'm aware he is the crown Prince, but his controlling nature and generally spoilt behaviour was rather off putting.

Eden, on the other hand, made me smile now and again with her rebellious and impulsive personality. Although all she wanted to do was be invisible at the school she managed to make herself the centre of attention a number of embarrassing times.

However, I soon realised that Eden must be either really stupid or in denial. She knows she somehow caused the problems at her previous schools, which led to her being expelled but she doesn't pick up that she has supernatural powers until it's spelled out to her. Talbott even refers to someone as a 'human' but she doesn't pick up on it being odd. I mean how dim can you be? Plus, she wound me up when she couldn't push Kiran away even though she knew he had a fiance. I understand they had a magnetic attraction and even if the due doesn't mind cheating that doesn't mean she needed to encourage it! She says she's not a home wrecker but her actions imply otherwise.

From my review of the two main characters it sounds like I didn't enjoy the book, but I actually did. Despite not being overly fond of Kiran, Eden wasn't that bad once everyone explained things to her and the storyline was fun and filled with action. There were a number of revelations scattered throughout the story, which kept it interesting.

Favourite Quotes:

The tests of the hospital all came back normal. I knew they would, I knew that whatever was wrong with me was not going to show up on a hospital chart or graph, unless maybe it was a mental hospital.

I was sure that if he didn't have that damn accent I would have seen through him immediately. Oh, those Brits could be so charming and manipulative with their proper say of talking.

"I am glad that you are feeling better."
He assumed I was feeling better without even asking. I was not feeling better, I was feeling worse.
on 30 June 2014
This is the first book in The Star-Crossed Series. This is another book, I am ashamed to say, that I downloaded over two years ago when it was free, and I am kicking myself for not reading sooner. I loved it!

Eden Matthews is only sixteen years old, but she has had more trouble in her life than most teens at that age. She is a typical teen, who thinks she is always right, and tends to be very reckless (in my opinion). I really liked her, but due to her reckless behaviour, I also wanted to shake her at times.

I started to read this book and was hooked from the first page. I have read a few YA books with a similar girl meets boy, instant attraction and forbidden love theme. However, this story is quite different in many ways. It has a unique plot line, with twists and turns that completely surprised me. The story is full of danger, magic, adventure and romance. This story is told from various character's points of view, but mostly through Eden's eyes. The characters in this story are very interesting. Kiran Kendrick is actually a prince. I liked him, but due to his upbringing, I found him to be a bit of an arrogant jerk at times. However, whenever Eden and Kiran are in the same room, their attraction is magical. I don't mean that in a dreamy way (although there is some of that), but because there is magic involved. They are like magnets that cannot stop snapping together whenever they meet. This creates some interesting situations. Lilly is Eden's first new friend at Kingsley, and has secrets of her own. I really liked her. She is a lovely character and a great friend. Avalon is also a fantastic character. I guessed who he was in relation to Eden, but his upbringing was completely different to his twin, and this, I felt, gave him an advantage that was denied to her that was slightly unfair. However, there is a reason why this happened, but I felt that if Eden had not been as sheltered, she wouldn't have been so reckless in her actions. Nevertheless, the story took me on an amazing journey from beginning to end. Although this story doesn't finish on a cliffhanger, I am looking forward to continuing the rest of the series as soon as possible. I have a lot of catching up to do, since there are 6.5 books in this series - I had better get cracking!

Rachel Higginson has written a fantastic YA romance. Her characters are very lifelike and likable. I loved her fast paced writing style, and the flow was wonderful. I have never read any of this author's books before, but I will certainly be adding her to my favourite authors list, and reading more of her books as soon as I can.

I highly recommend this book to teens aged 15+ and to adults who love YA or paranormal romance genres. - Lynn Worton
on 9 January 2013
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)
16-year-old Eden has already been kicked out of three schools, and this next one, Kingsley, is her last hope. It wasn't exactly her fault that she was expelled before; it was the electricity in her skin that caused a plague, a flood, and a fire at her three previous schools.

Now Eden just wants to try to fit in, but the electricity isn't going away; and the gorgeous but irritating Kieran just seems to make it worse, every time they touch something seems to explode!

Not everything at Kingsley is what Eden expects though. The electricity in her skin isn't unusual here, but here they call it magic.
Now Eden must come to terms with the new information she's confronted with, as well as working out how she feels about Kiran, and trying to contain and use her magic. But what is special about Kiran? Why should she stay away from him? And why is her friend Lily's life suddenly in danger?

I enjoyed this book, it was fun and easy to read, and although I guessed some of what was coming, the story was still enjoyable.

Eden was a fun character, and what she lacked in insight she made up for with spunk. Kiran was both irritating and charming, and showed that he obviously cared for Eden, greatly. The romance between the two was lovely, and I was hoping that they would get together all along.

The storyline was good, and although there were elements that had been done before, there were also lots of new ideas, and twists that I didn't see coming. I was also pleased that the book had an ending, as well as the promise of more to come in the following book.
Overall; a light, YA, paranormal romance.
7 out of 10.
on 28 January 2013
As a free book i couldn't let this pass, i love the freedom of reading paranormal romance and this ticked all the boxes even as an older adult reading YA. the pace kept me rapt and having finished all 4 books in under a week.... yea i couldn't put my kindle down.

The charactors drew me in and kept me hooked though i did have to keep reminding myself that this was a YA book and took me back to my UGH! teanage yrs, there were a couple of times i could have slapped Eden and thinking back deserved a slap or two myself but heyho.

i did feel that i wanted the story and Eden to go in a different direction, almost willed it at some stages in the 4 books but trusted the author to know what she was doing i imagin with such strong charactors it may have been a bit of a bit of a struggle for her too, i do feel some things were left to chance and some things left unexplained, contridictions also but hey isn't that life in general. Yes i could, as an OA relate to this YA book.

well done Rechel you have kept my rapt attention and entertained me for hours on end i even thank you for the tears of sweet parting in book 4